West Hardin 57 Evadale 47/FINAL

WOSgrad

12 hours ago, TigerAlumni85 said:

I think it is a combination of coach and players. Don't get me wrong he is a good coach but when you have 7 of your 9 players being seniors and have played together for so long they develop a combination of play between themselves that cant be taught by a coach. At that point the coach just shows them plays to run and then the players and the comfort level they have developed between one another and the talent and experience they bring executes what the coach has showed them. I have seen some bad coaches take some very good players/teams deep into the playoffs.

As for as Evadale starters they did have their starters on the court, what kills them is the lack of experience this year. No excuses for their losses, they haven't been able to finish games and West Hardin is a much more talented team, this year. Only one starting player returns from the past 4 years for Evadale and we knew after last year this was going to be a rough season. Perfect example of lack of experience is going to kill you every time. They can hang with every team but don't have any depth to make the run at the end of the game, nor the experience with most of the players. The only true experienced starter started district with 6 stitches in his hand (when he ripped it open in that crappy gym in Liberty) and for the most part never comes off the court. Cant win games when your point guard is leading in rebounds, scoring, assists and steals and 2nd on team with blocks. Team sports cant be one by 1 player no matter how good they are. Perfect example last nights game Evadale box 1 on Mosley and WH run double team on Tousha second half of game. When you take each of the teams best players out of the game someone else has to step up. WH #2 did that and finished tied with Mosley for 18 points while on the other side Tousha finished with 17 and didn't have anyone else fill the gap. Good coaching but again it took a good player to step up and take slack, that is something coaches cant teach.

West Hardin is good team and will represent the district well. lots of respect for the coach BUT a whole lot more respect for the talent of those 7 seniors on the team. 

I just completely disagree. His son was there and while My kid didn’t play much, I watched a great team because of the coach. The following year my kid sat the bench again on what SHOULD have been a great team, but they brought in a terrible first year coach with a team that lost one starter that maybe averaged 8? I’m not saying they lose a lot, just these close ones, I think get heavily favored to the other team. 

15 hours ago, Wise_one said:

Are you saying they would be better or worse? That is kind of a dumb statement though, because who knows who the coach would be and what makes a good team? Great coaching or great players? Some argue one others argue the other. Personally I think it’s a combination of the 2. 

I was saying they become much worse. The coach is the best in the area. WH still wins a few without him, but likely 3rd seed maybe? I will also say, whoever said lofty expectations is 100% correct. I’ve been to the Regional and state tournament several times in the past 10 years to watch, and WH isn’t touching those teams.

29 minutes ago, Honest_Oiler said:

I was saying they become much worse. The coach is the best in the area. WH still wins a few without him, but likely 3rd seed maybe? I will also say, whoever said lofty expectations is 100% correct. I’ve been to the Regional and state tournament several times in the past 10 years to watch, and WH isn’t touching those teams.

I have a lot of respect for the coach and agree he is a good one, I'm just saying have seen this group play together for a while and they deserve a lot of the respect. They play very well together and when one is down they another will step up and complement the team. I do agree that that team probably want make it past the 3rd round because they are no where near at the level of play the top 4 teams are in Shelbyvilles district. You are also correct a bad coach can make a great team bad.

I was more pointing out that a good team with experienced teams can make a good coach much better because if he is a good coach he designs the play around what will pull out the best in the kids he has.

12 hours ago, Honest_Oiler said:

I know the WH coach is a great coach but “ the best in the area” might be a little bias lol. There’s some great coaches in a pretty close proximity to WH. 

51 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

His 700+ wins speak volumes.....

No doubt he’s a great coach. I’ve watched him for many years across the SE Texas landscape. I’m just hard pressed to say “ the best “. There are some young coaches in the area who haven’t had the opportunity to coach long enough to gain that number of wins. There is also another great coach in the area who has over 800 wins . The WH coach is a great one, no doubt about it but the best in the area is subjective. 

51 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

700 is a great accomplishment but that does not make him the best in the area.

How many state championships does Hoffpauir have?

I wouldn't agree that this makes you the best coach either.  There is no doubt that any coach is judged on wins and/or titles but there much more to it than that.  Every single year.. the coach that wins the state championship does not necessarily mean that he/she is the best coach in the state.  No more than just simply beating someone else doesn't make you a better coach than them.  There are a lot of variables.

It could easily be argued that Kevin Foster is the best varsity head coach in the area currently.  I'm pretty certain that he doesn't lead in wins and I don't think he has any state titles.  But.. he is consistently successful each year with small-averaged sized kids.  They don't ever have any D1 type talent.. The coaches in the area with state titles, how many titles have they won withOUT D1 talent on their teams?  Not to downgrade any accomplishment..

But then you get into the "well Big Sandy gets to start practice in August".. which certainly doesn't hurt.  So I don't know.. all I know is that there are coaches who get the absolute most out of what they have and then there are coaches who get really great players.

No disrespect to him but it is VERY easy to run up to 700 wins when you are playing a very week pre-district schedule every year. WH record is a very soft schedule this year, the one solid team with a winning record this year they played come from 1A Leggett and they lost to them.. 

Tekoa Academy - played twice & beat twice              Bob Hope - played 3 times and beat 3 times         O'Connell - played once and won

Harmony Science Academy - played 3 times and beat 3 times       High Island - played 3 times and beat 3 times

SW Louisiana Homeschool - played twice and split           Hardin - played once and won

WEST HARDIN OILERS (26-7, 5-0)        Go to complete schedule in topics to see complete schedule and results. But my point is 14 of those 26 games in the beginning were against schools with no winning record. This pads coaches win records and can run them up real quick. If WH had been playing teams like some of the other 2A schools were Kelly (twice), East Chambers, Hampshire Fannet, Buna, Kirbyville (twice), Jasper, Huntington, Lufkin Pineywood, Alto, Onalaska, Big Sandy, Cushing and a couple of others not real strong the record would be much different and the 700 wins wouldn't have come as quick. When you play soft pre-district schedule each year it don't take long, I'm just saying.

He is a good coach but not one of the best in area. There are several coaches in the area hands down are the areas best but may not be at 700 because of the tough pre-district and district games they have scheduled. Hands down 22-2A is the toughest 2A district and I just don't see anyone from WH district getting past that district, their #3 or possibly #4 could have swept WH district.

I am not sure where the hard feelings for Coach Hoffpauir have come from.  He has only been at West Hardin for a couple of years.  That schedule you are bashing has only accounted for a small portion of his 700 wins.  He was at Legacy for a year or two and East Chambers prior to that.  Most of his coaching was out of the area.  It is ok to have good players and a good coach.  Usually that is a recipe for success.  Some people on here are getting very sensitive over the fact that he was called the best coach in the area.  I don't think he is, but that doesn't mean that he isn't a great coach.  We have some excellent coaches, young and old, in our area.  

Let's not take anything away from the WH kids and coach, they swept Evadale this year and will win district. They have a pretty good team this year and I wish them luck in the playoffs. That said, if you guys want to talk about their coach or how far they are going in the playoffs ect...please make a thread about it and let this one die. 

On 2/6/2020 at 11:12 AM, TigerAlumni85 said:

No disrespect to him but it is VERY easy to run up to 700 wins when you are playing a very week pre-district schedule every year. WH record is a very soft schedule this year, the one solid team with a winning record this year they played come from 1A Leggett and they lost to them.. 

Tekoa Academy - played twice & beat twice              Bob Hope - played 3 times and beat 3 times         O'Connell - played once and won

Harmony Science Academy - played 3 times and beat 3 times       High Island - played 3 times and beat 3 times

SW Louisiana Homeschool - played twice and split           Hardin - played once and won

WEST HARDIN OILERS (26-7, 5-0)        Go to complete schedule in topics to see complete schedule and results. But my point is 14 of those 26 games in the beginning were against schools with no winning record. This pads coaches win records and can run them up real quick. If WH had been playing teams like some of the other 2A schools were Kelly (twice), East Chambers, Hampshire Fannet, Buna, Kirbyville (twice), Jasper, Huntington, Lufkin Pineywood, Alto, Onalaska, Big Sandy, Cushing and a couple of others not real strong the record would be much different and the 700 wins wouldn't have come as quick. When you play soft pre-district schedule each year it don't take long, I'm just saying.

He is a good coach but not one of the best in area. There are several coaches in the area hands down are the areas best but may not be at 700 because of the tough pre-district and district games they have scheduled. Hands down 22-2A is the toughest 2A district and I just don't see anyone from WH district getting past that district, their #3 or possibly #4 could have swept WH district.

The WH coach retired from Georgetown High School a while back.  He may be the best coach in the area for rebuilding programs.  He knows how to schedule, discipline, and create expectations for the team he has.  His full coaching record reflects that.  He is from SE Texas and it is sad that because his greatest successes were out of the area, he is disrespected in his home area.  He is teaching the game he loves to players and making them better.  What is the “best” expected to do?

4 minutes ago, eagleleaver said:

The WH coach retired from Georgetown High School a while back.  He may be the best coach in the area for rebuilding programs.  He knows how to schedule, discipline, and create expectations for the team he has.  His full coaching record reflects that.  He is from SE Texas and it is sad that because his greatest successes were out of the area, he is disrespected in his home area.  He is teaching the game he loves to players and making them better.  What is the “best” expected to do?

No disrespect intended on my part. I just find it hard to select a single coach as “the best in the area “.There are some good ones.