West Hardin 57 Evadale 47/FINAL

WOSgrad

5 hours ago, Honest_Oiler said:

Seems last games thread didn’t age well either. Lots of excuses last time about Starters. I hate excuses. BUT I will always stand by the fact that if WH had a different coach, they aren’t the same team. The players would likely agree.

Are you saying they would be better or worse? That is kind of a dumb statement though, because who knows who the coach would be and what makes a good team? Great coaching or great players? Some argue one others argue the other. Personally I think it’s a combination of the 2. 

8 hours ago, Honest_Oiler said:

Seems last games thread didn’t age well either. Lots of excuses last time about Starters. I hate excuses. BUT I will always stand by the fact that if WH had a different coach, they aren’t the same team. The players would likely agree.

The coach at WH doesn’t get to 500 or 600 wins or whatever by being a bad coach. I think the problem in WH is the same one that’s been there for a while now where the basketball team is concerned, lofty expectations.

8 hours ago, Honest_Oiler said:

I think it is a combination of coach and players. Don't get me wrong he is a good coach but when you have 7 of your 9 players being seniors and have played together for so long they develop a combination of play between themselves that cant be taught by a coach. At that point the coach just shows them plays to run and then the players and the comfort level they have developed between one another and the talent and experience they bring executes what the coach has showed them. I have seen some bad coaches take some very good players/teams deep into the playoffs.

As for as Evadale starters they did have their starters on the court, what kills them is the lack of experience this year. No excuses for their losses, they haven't been able to finish games and West Hardin is a much more talented team, this year. Only one starting player returns from the past 4 years for Evadale and we knew after last year this was going to be a rough season. Perfect example of lack of experience is going to kill you every time. They can hang with every team but don't have any depth to make the run at the end of the game, nor the experience with most of the players. The only true experienced starter started district with 6 stitches in his hand (when he ripped it open in that crappy gym in Liberty) and for the most part never comes off the court. Cant win games when your point guard is leading in rebounds, scoring, assists and steals and 2nd on team with blocks. Team sports cant be one by 1 player no matter how good they are. Perfect example last nights game Evadale box 1 on Mosley and WH run double team on Tousha second half of game. When you take each of the teams best players out of the game someone else has to step up. WH #2 did that and finished tied with Mosley for 18 points while on the other side Tousha finished with 17 and didn't have anyone else fill the gap. Good coaching but again it took a good player to step up and take slack, that is something coaches cant teach.

West Hardin is good team and will represent the district well. lots of respect for the coach BUT a whole lot more respect for the talent of those 7 seniors on the team. 

My question is how do you have inexperienced players that are seniors? Earlier in the season the Rebels had players taking college football visits on game days. I gotta assume these two players were seniors. If a team is putting an inexperienced senior team on the floor it probably says more about that program than the opposition coach. By the way the guy at WH is one of the best in the area. I thought he had retired, it explained a lot when I saw the Oilers record.

45 minutes ago, whsalum said:

My question is how do you have inexperienced players that are seniors? Earlier in the season the Rebels had players taking college football visits on game days. I gotta assume these two players were seniors. If a team is putting an inexperienced senior team on the floor it probably says more about that program than the opposition coach. By the way the guy at WH is one of the best in the area. I thought he had retired, it explained a lot when I saw the Oilers record.

Some didn't play the last couple of years. And the one's that did aren't basketball kids(they are football or baseball first kids), they probably wouldn't have played at a bigger school. And those kids have done a great job. It's just a rebuilding year. @TigerAlumni85 and I had a discussion about it at the start of the year, we just don't have depth. 

And since we're asking questions...how good is WH going to be when y'all lose this group of seniors? 

39 minutes ago, whsalum said:

In small school basketball you have inexperienced seniors, these are the seniors that decided to play basketball their senior year but haven't played in a couple of years; this isn't saying they are not athletes, it is simply saying they aren't at the skill level on the court that some of the seniors are that have been playing since junior high. Then you add a couple of freshmen and sophomores to the mix that haven't played at the varsity level of play; you have a very inexperienced team. Of course next year they will be a lot stronger and be playing at a different level.

Bottom line when you have a team that lacks the court time together over a couple of years then you are going to struggle. No different then where WH will be next year when they lose their 7 seniors. The players that will have to step in and fill those positions will not where they need to be, you could see that during the JV game, which will be they players filling those slots. Evadale lost 7 seniors the year before last but were able to fill those slots last year with the 5 juniors. This year Evadale had 2 senior returners and only 1 has started all 4 years, the other returning seniors first year to play basketball was last year. The other seniors on the team didn't even play basketball last year and one quit. So there are ups and downs BUT I am very proud of how the Rebels have hung with every team they have played this year. The hung with every none district team they played, (HF, East Chambers, Jasper, Kirbyville, Huntington, etc...), just had no depth to finish the games.

Oilers have a great team this year and I hope they take it deep into playoffs and yes I agree they have a good coach. Have a lot of respect for him. But he will be rebuilding next year.

The one glaring fact I saw last night was a player shooting way too many three's. Was 0'fer on about 9 attempts, which some were not even close to being made (3-4 attempts were outside NBA line). IMO, shot Evadale out of the game in 2nd half. Also turned it over 5 times.

I thought the Box and 1 on Mosley was a good decision. Kept Evadale in the game. It was only down the stretch where this game was lost. Evadale used their bench much more than West Hardin did. The starting 5 for the Oilers played 95% of this game with only 1 reserve getting more than 2 minutes. Evadale was trying to force some things inside and the two post players are just not that skilled. #2 for Evadale is really their only consistent scoring option. WH did a good job of adjusting their defense in 2nd half to take that threat away.

I was impressed with Mosley. Very good player for the Oilers. Definitely warranted the Box and 1 defense that Evadale threw at him.

25 minutes ago, NetCat said:

Some didn't play the last couple of years. And the one's that did aren't basketball kids(they are football or baseball first kids), they probably wouldn't have played at a bigger school. And those kids have done a great job. It's just a rebuilding year. @TigerAlumni85 and I had a discussion about it at the start of the year, we just don't have depth. 

And since we're asking questions...how good is WH going to be when y'all lose this group of seniors? 

Don’t mistakenly get on the West Hardin folks. I was just looking at the club from an outside basketball fan. I’m not from West Hardin and have no idea what kind of underclassmen they have in their program. 

4 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

The one glaring fact I saw last night was a player shooting way too many three's. Was 0'fer on about 9 attempts, which some were not even close to being made (3-4 attempts were outside NBA line). IMO, shot Evadale out of the game in 2nd half. Also turned it over 5 times.

I thought the Box and 1 on Mosley was a good decision. Kept Evadale in the game. It was only down the stretch where this game was lost. Evadale used their bench much more than West Hardin did. The starting 5 for the Oilers played 95% of this game with only 1 reserve getting more than 2 minutes. Evadale was trying to force some things inside and the two post players are just not that skilled. #2 for Evadale is really their only consistent scoring option. WH did a good job of adjusting their defense in 2nd half to take that threat away.

I was impressed with Mosley. Very good player for the Oilers. Definitely warranted the Box and 1 defense that Evadale threw at him.

Well stated. Mosley is a talented player and when you allow shots to be taken that far out, you will die by the 3 in most cases, (unless you are Jasper and them boys have unbelievable range), I believe Evadale went like 2 of 19 from the 3.