12-5A-II Smack Talk thread

Cougtalk

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Just some “All-Star” break observations:

1. Crosby looks to be back on track under coach Prieto. We still have a lot of deficiencies but coach is proving that if given the players he can mitigate some of them as a good coach should. 

2. BH is starting to look the part annually. I think they’re the small 5A version of Deer Park with a little Cy-Fair mixed in. With the way Mont Belvieu is growing BH is in a very good place to continue their upward trajectory. When the school board pays the head coach $160k you would think you may want that trajectory to be slightly more vertical? 

3. Mid-county is in the middle of the district. They went 0-4 against 1942 last year and may do so again this year? This may become a theme(🤞🏾) if they don’t produce more kids like RJ and Deshawn Washington, I mean even your Rose and Seay type kids are becoming more sparse. 

4. If far away is a couple of years then Dayton may still be around the corner from that. Dayton is probably close to an HISD level participation rate? BH did it with money, Crosby did it with a search committee, Dayton did it at the sale barn. I think you see where a handshake hire like Nations may have a multi-year impact.

5. Really expected the district to be better this year. Thought we would get a little more from KP and Texas City? Still in good shape to get three teams through to the bi-district round though. 

What happened to Sagastegui,I thought I saw him playing in the Cy Ranch film ? Did Jaden Fields move away? He was a starting CB last year.Why are they carrying a Fr. QB on the roster?

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Just some “All-Star” break observations:

1. Crosby looks to be back on track under coach Prieto. We still have a lot of deficiencies but coach is proving that if given the players he can mitigate some of them as a good coach should. 

2. BH is starting to look the part annually. I think they’re the small 5A version of Deer Park with a little Cy-Fair mixed in. With the way Mont Belvieu is growing BH is in a very good place to continue their upward trajectory. When the school board pays the head coach $160k you would think you may want that trajectory to be slightly more vertical? 

3. Mid-county is in the middle of the district. They went 0-4 against 1942 last year and may do so again this year? This may become a theme(🤞🏾) if they don’t produce more kids like RJ and Deshawn Washington, I mean even your Rose and Seay type kids are becoming more sparse. 

4. If far away is a couple of years then Dayton may still be around the corner from that. Dayton is probably close to an HISD level participation rate? BH did it with money, Crosby did it with a search committee, Dayton did it at the sale barn. I think you see where a handshake hire like Nations may have a multi-year impact.

5. Really expected the district to be better this year. Thought we would get a little more from KP and Texas City? Still in good shape to get three teams through to the bi-district round though. 

The way BH is growing I’d have to guess their window for a deep playoff run is closing in a few years, at least for a while, as I think most expect them to be 5aD1 soon. 

36 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

The way BH is growing I’d have to guess their window for a deep playoff run is closing in a few years, at least for a while, as I think most expect them to be 5aD1 soon. 

Yeah that’s one thing folks don’t realize BH doesn’t hang around in a class long enough to make much of an impact. Every time we start competing it seems like we’re on to the next division 😩 then the growing pains come again. I think we have been in this division for 10 years now and went from the smallest to now one of the biggest in Div2.  Crosby seems to be growing as well so we may both move up soon.

10 hours ago, BHFAN said:

Yeah that’s one thing folks don’t realize BH doesn’t hang around in a class long enough to make much of an impact. Every time we start competing it seems like we’re on to the next division 😩 then the growing pains come again. I think we have been in this division for 10 years now and went from the smallest to now one of the biggest in Div2.  Crosby seems to be growing as well so we may both move up soon.

I thought it would happen at last count. BH and Crosby are both among the largest in 5a D2. 

On 11/9/2020 at 8:49 AM, Rez Ipsa said:

I thought it would happen at last count. BH and Crosby are both among the largest in 5a D2. 

We were over 100 under the cutoff don't think that means we are one of the biggest. Looking at those official numbers we are a bigger 5ad2 but there are a lot of schools between 1800-1900 in the state. We have to get bigger faster than all of those do to get in D1. 

20 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

We were over 100 under the cutoff don't think that means we are one of the biggest. Looking at those official numbers we are a bigger 5ad2 but there are a lot of schools between 1800-1900 in the state. We have to get bigger faster than all of those do to get in D1. 

That's a good point. 

17 minutes ago, Pho Rizzle said:

Why would anyone choose to live in Crosby Tejas ?

Oh and I don't live in Vidor just to counter the obviously inevitable comeback

Work in plants, close drive to greater Houston area, affordable housing. Actually good at sports unlike so other places nearby. Better than the surrounding areas educational system. And you don't have to live in Vidor. 

• 3 weeks later...