12-5A-II Smack Talk thread

Cougtalk

9 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Yep. Been that way for several years now.

Haven't you noticed that you guys do not play PA Memorial in football but play them in all other sports?

I knew we played a different district schedule for some sports just didn’t realize it was for all sports outside of football. Now I have been enlightened 😃

On 2/7/2020 at 2:24 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

1. Crosby - Brings back all starters at the offensive skill positions. Lost three very key pieces on the defensive side of the ball but if we can improve overall in the secondary I expect this team to be playing in December. 

2. PN-G - Like what they have coming back In the QB. Even with a third place finish they’ll have a good chance to get to the third round with Manvel out of the district. I’m not a huge believer in the potential second round opponents A&M-C/Huntsville after how they were hit by graduation this past year. 

3. Barbers Hill - Lost the bell cow in Kaopua and their first FBS signee who was instrumental in grading the way for him, Casey Collier. Heard that Westeberg has another transfer qb coming in to take over the starting job instead of the kid who was put in at the end of the Manvel game. Not sure of the grade or eligibility status so I guess we’ll see. 

4. Kingwood Park - 4 of their 5 losses last year were by 28+ points so it feels wrong to put them here but they did beat PAM and they have a returning qb. No matter the district KP usually finds a way to back in the playoffs. I like their chances a little more than Nederland’s.

5. Nederland - I think you’re going to need to score this year in the district and I think Ned will have the worst offense of these top 5 teams. I really like a couple of the skill guys the have returning but I don’t honk it’s enough to keep them from going from 4th to 5th with the addition of KP.

6. Dayton - First year head coach who I really, really think is the man for Dayton as long as he’s given free range over staff hires. They’re going to ruin someone’s season this year and I hope it isn’t Crosby’s. Watch out if their participation rates jump back to where they were this season during the Stewart era, they might still be in he mix for a playoff spot in late October. 

7. Texas City - Maybe they flip flop with Dayton but I don’t see anything you can point to as a legitimate argument to move them up. They were outscored  313-122 and will be breaking in a new starter at qb. Coach Surovik’s teams have been grinders since he took over but he’s been a little short on talent lately. 

8. Santa Fe - As long as they don’t have another school shooting to galvanize them they’re right back here where you normally find them in the football standings. 

Word is the new Coach is already making a big splash on campus and getting a lot of kids interested in football again !

5 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

Alright so now that we all know Nederland won't make the playoffs this year. 

What does the Crosby offense look like with an actual off-season (with all their offensive pieces) and a full program enacted. what does 1 full year through the program look like for Crosby. 

3rd place and only a moderate butt whoopin from BH

13 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

Nederland won’t be good at all this. Everyone should rest their starters and just start JV players this year against Nederland ;)

Some ppl forget several of Ned skill players were not Seniors. Hopefully Scott finally stays healthy for yall. Ned should be good enough to at least finish 4th. Funny thing is weird things seem to happen inside Bulldog Stadium after a not so good season. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Some ppl forget several of Ned skill players were not Seniors. Hopefully Scott finally stays healthy for yall. Ned should be good enough to at least finish 4th. Funny thing is weird things seem to happen inside Bulldog Stadium after a not so good season. 

Exactly... we are young the Junior and Sophomore class is strong and I hope what the rumor wind is true a certain player and family is moving back to Nederland from Atascocita... Which is a HUGE welcome back... 

On 2/9/2020 at 10:00 PM, Aledoalumni said:

I raised my eyebrows when I read "expect" lol. Thats a pretty strong word. 

The "expect" isn't necessarily because of how good I think Crosby is going to be. It's because since the divisions have been split the team that wins 12-5A has at least made it to the third round, mainly due to former 2nd round games being a round later now. With Manvel moving to D1 combined with graduation hitting FB Marshall and A&M Con. very hard, I think a route to December of Waltrip/Galena Park, Lamar Con./Huntsville and A&M Con. is very winnable given the team we bring back. After looking over what all the playoff teams in the region have coming back I would say, if healthy, the only team I would have Crosby a dog to is A&M Con. 

Huntsville may be good but they lost their three year starter at qb who's also the coach's son along with both of their top receivers. I will say their sophomore qb looks like a potential prospect. Hornsby and Achane accounted for probably 90% of FB Marshall's offensive yardage during the playoffs, they'll both be playing the in the SEC next year and I haven't seen any high profile HISD transfers they usually get so far. Expect is a strong word but I expect Crosby to have a strong team. 

Guest Aledoalumni
4 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

The "expect" isn't necessarily because of how good I think Crosby is going to be. It's because since the divisions have been split the team that wins 12-5A has at least made it to the third round, mainly due to former 2nd round games being a round later now. With Manvel moving to D1 combined with graduation hitting FB Marshall and A&M Con. very hard, I think a route to December of Waltrip/Galena Park, Lamar Con./Huntsville and A&M Con. is very winnable given the team we bring back. After looking over what all the playoff teams in the region have coming back I would say, if healthy, the only team I would have Crosby a dog to is A&M Con. 

Huntsville may be good but they lost their three year starter at qb who's also the coach's son along with both of their top receivers. I will say their sophomore qb looks like a potential prospect. Hornsby and Achane accounted for probably 90% of FB Marshall's offensive yardage during the playoffs, they'll both be playing the in the SEC next year and I haven't seen any high profile HISD transfers they usually get so far. Expect is a strong word but I expect Crosby to have a strong team. 

Call me simple but I dont know how that works...

17 hours ago, Aledoalumni said:

Call me simple but I dont know how that works...

Simple, I don’t expect Crosby to be as good as the ‘13, ‘14, ‘15, ‘17 or ‘18(pre-Howard injury) teams they fielded that went 48-5 over four and a half seasons. I do expect the team to be good enough/strong enough to compete for the region as it’s currently structured with the division splits. Splitting divisions so we don’t get teams like Shadow Creek, George Ranch, Manvel, Foster and Ridge Point in the bi-district and area rounds has been/will be a God-send for this region. 

Guest Aledoalumni
1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Simple, I don’t expect Crosby to be as good as the ‘13, ‘14, ‘15, ‘17 or ‘18(pre-Howard injury) teams they fielded that went 48-5 over four and a half seasons. I do expect the team to be good enough/strong enough to compete for the region as it’s currently structured with the division splits. Splitting divisions so we don’t get teams like Shadow Creek, George Ranch, Manvel, Foster and Ridge Point in the bi-district and area rounds has been/will be a God-send for this region. 

I definitely get this arrogant vibe from you the way you make condescending comments towards other people and their programs. So I dont mind trying to serve you some humble pie. Remember you "expect this team to be playing in December ". Crosby's overall playoff is 24-29. In yalls history yall have made the playoffs 29 times, only making it past the 2nd round 4 times. I'm not great at math but I'd say thats 14% give or take. Yall dont have a history of even getting to the 3rd round much less December. In the last decade yall have made it past the 2nd round 1 time. You're confident this team can make it to December because the competition is not as strong. Teams have moved out of the division and now this expectation is hoisted like a battle flag. All I'm saying is instead of making these bold statements that your program has not historically been able to accomplish, you just chill and play nice. Although Crosby is the mecca they arent some juggernaut that you like to make them out to be. 

1 hour ago, Aledoalumni said:

I definitely get this arrogant vibe from you the way you make condescending comments towards other people and their programs. So I dont mind trying to serve you some humble pie. Remember you "expect this team to be playing in December ". Crosby's overall playoff is 24-29. In yalls history yall have made the playoffs 29 times, only making it past the 2nd round 4 times. I'm not great at math but I'd say thats 14% give or take. Yall dont have a history of even getting to the 3rd round much less December. In the last decade yall have made it past the 2nd round 1 time. You're confident this team can make it to December because the competition is not as strong. Teams have moved out of the division and now this expectation is hoisted like a battle flag. All I'm saying is instead of making these bold statements that your program has not historically been able to accomplish, you just chill and play nice. Although Crosby is the mecca they arent some juggernaut that you like to make them out to be. 

Lol, Crosby won't even win district. LOL

On 2/19/2020 at 10:49 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

Basketball team just won the district over Texas City so they might get to play until March. I know it's a little confusing considering Lumberton's football season is usually over in August. 

Still doesn’t change the fact that Crosby won’t be playing football in December.

Guest Aledoalumni
58 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

This is going to be a funny thread to bring back up in December. 

Whats your reckless speculation guess on the over/under 2.5 playoff rounds for Crosby? 

Guest Aledoalumni
36 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Over. 3 and out. It would behoove Crosby to finish no worse than 2nd place. 

Crosby will beat the Houston team they play in the 1st but it will depend on who they get in the 2nd. 

23 hours ago, Aledoalumni said:

Wow, someone outside of the area that sees the same thing the local people do.  Who would have thought that?