Should UIL have other sports go to divisions like football?

AggiesAreWe

2 hours ago, ST413 said:

So why don’t they schedule district games like I notice college baseball does on the Friday or Saturday and play a nondistrict on tuesday just start the district season a lot earlier in the year?  Of course you would run into the players playing in the football playoff problem.

Because then you risk an injury happening during those "nondistrict" games on a Tuesday night between every Friday district game.  

28 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Heres a thought, How about we just stop classifying by number of students in the school and classify based on the population of the town or towns the school is located in.

That certainly would not work.

I know some 4A school districts that have a city population of only 2000.

58 minutes ago, SherriffReesie said:

Because then you risk an injury happening during those "nondistrict" games on a Tuesday night between every Friday district game.  

Thats the risk any time you play a game.  And i know of situations where there have been non district games and certainly tournaments played during the district seasons. Is this a good solution, no because of the playoffs overlappind the oncoming seasons as well as other issues but it would be one way to curb the long trips during the week.  Maybe the district could place the long distance games on friday but odds are that would be a nightmare as well..

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

That certainly would not work.

I know some 4A school districts that have a city population of only 2000.

Of course it wouldnt work was really more tongue in cheek than a valid suggestion.  However it would be a lot more fair for schools in towns of 2000 to be competing even with different size schools than school in a town of say 6500 competing against schools in towns of say 1.3 or 2.3 million. At least in most cases.

16 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Thats the idea.....some of these schools pull from all parts of town so..........

You do realize that the TOWN population of the largest school in the state is only 100,000 or so, right? So according to the idea of classification based on town size Allen would no longer have to play Dallas ISD schools.  Brilliant.

Also.. the population of Aledo is barely over 4,000.  That's half the size of Bridge City. 

See why school populations matter?

13 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

You do realize that the TOWN population of the largest school in the state is only 100,000 or so, right? So according to the idea of classification based on town size Allen would no longer have to play Dallas ISD schools.  Brilliant.

Also.. the population of Aledo is barely over 4,000.  That's half the size of Bridge City. 

If you also read I said this was more tongue in cheek,  but the teams that would be more uneven would be the ones at the top not the ones with the populations of a few thousand facing the ones with population of up to 2.3 million. Really there is no solution that would work or be completely fair to all since some would find ways to work the loopholes.

9 minutes ago, ST413 said:

If you also read I said this was more tongue in cheek,  but the teams that would be more uneven would be the ones at the top not the ones with the populations of a few thousand facing the ones with population of up to 2.3 million. Really there is no solution that would work or be completely fair to all since some would find ways to work the loopholes.

The cities with populations of several million have multiple schools going from a few hundred to a few thousand.

There is a solution.. schools with similar school enrollment play each other.  It's unfortunate that cities have the luxury of apartment complexes where families can change their permanent address at the drop of a hat, but there are still zoning restrictions along with the PAPF.

That's the best solution available. 

17 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

The cities with populations of several million have multiple schools going from a few hundred to a few thousand.

There is a solution.. schools with similar school enrollment play each other.  It's unfortunate that cities have the luxury of apartment complexes where families can change their permanent address at the drop of a hat, but there are still zoning restrictions along with the PAPF.

It is the best in theory I will agree but until they can stop these big cities from building super teams it’s not the fairest system....

28 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

And if something like my idea was used, then i am sure these big multi school cities would even out the distribution a little more among schools,  making them all large schools.  Of course then you would have someone try to create a mega school.

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

Have you looked at the size of Aledo's ISD vs BC's.  I bet it's way bigger than it's city limits......

To answer the initial question......

Hell no......

9 minutes ago, Austin1985 said:

Not really but it's here.......

It boggles my mynd that PA has 4 HS inside it's ISD but that's another discussion for another day

But sports with less than 11 playing at once don't need divisions......

I tend to agree. Never should have split football.

My only thing is why does football get this "fairness" act and disregard the travel issues but then folk want to use the travel issues when discussing splitting the other sports and want to say "well life isn't fair".

Pretty two faced.

On 2/4/2020 at 9:13 AM, AggiesAreWe said:

I'm just wondering why in football it's all about "fairness" and travel is not a factor but in other sports travel is a factor and "fairness" is not?

I have always heard the “Travel” part with the sports other than football was due to them playing on Tuesday nights/twice a week, but that doesnt make a whole lot of sense when you are forcing a school like Jasper to travel over two hours one way for three different district foes, with the closest district foe being an hour away, when you have other 4A district and teams way closer than that.

On 2/4/2020 at 11:59 AM, BMTSoulja1 said:

Very good debate from both sides.  This is a conversation that I've pondered about for years.  I know the reason the UIL splits the classifications up in football, but if you're already even Steven, then you'd just have to let all districts be the same across the board, Football, Basketball, Volleyball, and Soccer.  Maybe YOU should foot part of the bill for travel expenses for the nonfootball  side of things and just take the talk of cost out of the equation.  That just leaves distance. for these distant Tuesday and Friday games, these athletes get out of school early, missing class time.  The sacrifice would be some kind of catchup day, maybe a Saturday a month so that these student athletes can catch up on those later period classes they left to go to the game early.  Bottom line, you want maximum participation  in every sport so you can't make exceptions for one and not the rest just because it generates more money or is more popular...

By You are you saying the UIL should foot the travel bill?   if so I agree, at least of a percentage of the travel bill should be reimbursed to the schools by the UIL.  They are bringing in all this money but how much of it do the member schools actually see?

1 hour ago, Bigdog said:

By You are you saying the UIL should foot the travel bill?   if so I agree, at least of a percentage of the travel bill should be reimbursed to the schools by the UIL.  They are bringing in all this money but how much of it do the member schools actually see?

If it as unclear, I'm sorry for the confusion, BD.  But that's exactly what I meant...