Hardin-Jefferson 42 Lumberton 39/FINAL

wussification of America reared it’s ugly head tonight.  Hawk Hecklers told that they couldn’t “antagonize” players and fans.  Where does it say that in the UIL rule book?  Oh it doesn’t!!  What an absolute joke.  The Hecklers didn’t do anything wrong or anything different than they normally do!!  Just someone with thin skin!!  Great job Hawks on gutting out a tough win on a rough night!!  And great job Hecklers on doing what y’all do!!

15 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

Now we see.  The Silsbee game was no fluke.  This is a good team.  They are a close third to Silsbee and HJ.  

Silsbee is way down from last year.  HJ is way down front last year.  They both still good teams, but the gap to the rest of the district has narrowed.  That doesn't mean the rest of the district is very good.  They are just competitive with each other and closer to the top, which makes things entertaining.  We've been spoiled in recent years with the talent level in this 4A district.

Did Lumberton really lose a lot from last year?  I thought they only lost 4 seniors.  One of which rarely played, one played as a 6th/7th man.  The other two were starters but were regularly subbed in and out by Rideaux.  This year’s group returned 3 starters, plus the Bridger kid returned to the team, he was a starter at the beginning of last year.  The the 5th starter is #4 or a center.  #4 played a 7th man role last year but yes the starting center is new and the back up center is only a freshman.  But the other two other bench kids were on Varsity last year, one of them was a starter at the beginning of this season prior to Koch(4 year varsity player) coming in after football season. 
Personally I see a better starting five than last year, now no one on the bench is equal to one of the four primary starters but I do see them being as serviceable as last year’s bench.  In my opinion I do think the bench could be utilized differently and optimized.  But that said my opinion plus a $1.07 will get you a 99 cent burger from McDonald’s.  

If I’m not mistaken they lost 2 key guys from the bench, a shooter, post player, and they had a guard that came off the bench but is back from last year. They also lost a pg that was a senior and a post player that was a senior. I haven’t seen as many games this year like I saw last year but the Evadale kid and HJ move ins helped lumberton a lot last year. 

6 minutes ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

If I’m not mistaken they lost 2 key guys from the bench, a shooter, post player, and they had a guard that came off the bench but is back from last year. They also lost a pg that was a senior and a post player that was a senior. I haven’t seen as many games this year like I saw last year but the Evadale kid and HJ move ins helped lumberton a lot last year. 

Thats about right.  The shooter off the bench was the kid from Evadale they lost him and the point guard was the kid from HJ starter they lost him.  The senior post that started and the post off the bench were lost.  Plus a senior bench player that rarely played.  #4 who was the shooter off the bench is now a starter/6th man. 

So like said they lost 4 seniors and you are correct they lost another post.  But they returned 3 starters, replaced the HJ kid with #4, replaced the starting center with a new senior, replaced their bench center with a freshman, replaced the Evadale boy with Bridgers, and have two seniors on the bench to make up for #4 moving to the starting line up and the 4th senior they lost last year.  Overall the 3 returning starters are better this year, especially McClure.  #4 is better than than the HJ move in.  Bridgers is the leaps and bounds better than anyone they lost.  The two new centers are different players than what they lost but they bring the same amount of value to the team.  Then the two bench seniors offset #4 to the starting line up and the 4th senior they lost.  
The team last year was good, Rideaux was influential to their success(this is not meant as a negative shot at Mitchell). But this year’s team is better, yes they only suit up 9.  But last year they only played 7 to 8 and suited up 14.  This year they only play 7 to 8, the biggest difference is the the talent difference between the 4 primary starters to the bench is greater.  But this is because the starters are better than last year’s starters not because the bench isn’t as deep as last year.  Again watched every game this year and last, but only my opinion.  

2 hours ago, HOOPDR3AMS said:

Silsbee is way down from last year.  HJ is way down front last year.  They both still good teams, but the gap to the rest of the district has narrowed.  That doesn't mean the rest of the district is very good.  They are just competitive with each other and closer to the top, which makes things entertaining.  We've been spoiled in recent years with the talent level in this 4A district.

I know when you lose the caliber players Silsbee and HJ lost last year you would think the programs would be way down. I don’t think Bush gets nearly enough credit for the last 3 years success nor does Martin. They may not be as good as they were last year but they aren’t “way down “ in my opinion. HJ has a different make up from last year but I don’t see them as “way  down “ either. The biggest difference in HJ this year is depth. HJ is pretty young this year , they seem to be growing up as the season progresses. 

2 hours ago, HOOPDR3AMS said:

Lumberton basically returned the whole squad and is two games back from LCM and behind WOS due to head to head.  I have been critical of Coach Rideaux's "rebuilding" strategy at Hamshire, but I think Lumberton was better when he was there.  

@Hagar remember we talked about that very thing in bold awhile back. 

1 hour ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

If you're not mistaken?  You were there!

10 hours ago, HOOPDR3AMS said:

Lumberton basically returned the whole squad and is two games back from LCM and behind WOS due to head to head.  I have been critical of Coach Rideaux's "rebuilding" strategy at Hamshire, but I think Lumberton was better when he was there.  

Coach Mitchell has built this team from the ground up! Don’t take away from his success by giving credit to someone else! 

On 1/31/2020 at 10:04 PM, Lazeek said:

wussification of America reared it’s ugly head tonight.  Hawk Hecklers told that they couldn’t “antagonize” players and fans.  Where does it say that in the UIL rule book?  Oh it doesn’t!!  What an absolute joke.  The Hecklers didn’t do anything wrong or anything different than they normally do!!  Just someone with thin skin!!  Great job Hawks on gutting out a tough win on a rough night!!  And great job Hecklers on doing what y’all do!!

Seems to be more and more mad mommas storming across to talk to admins these days. Even had a law enforcement officer with his feelings on his sleeve after the game. The games are so much more fun when the kids are fired up !!

On 2/1/2020 at 12:26 PM, Southeastxsports2020 said:

Agreed

If Ltown had two shots to tie it up and missed, they do miss the Evadale kid somewhat.  He had 3 shots at the Buzzer last year and netted all three.  

Ltown is having a great season.  Weakness this year is depth.  Weakness for last year was less experience of the starters.   The two teams are fairly comparable, IMO.   Reagan is a very good PG, and Brock was impressive as a Soph, and appears to have improved quite a bit as a Jr.   Hope they continue improving.