Port Arthur Memorial 56 Nederland 39/FINAL

WOSgrad

I’m interested to see how Hayden does at the next level when he doesn’t have to be “the guy.” I’ve heard he plays very well on his shoe team with a lot of studs around him. Averages double digits and makes a lot of great plays. One thing you can’t deny is that his offer list of 8 schools is as good as anyone in SETX.

This is the hidden content, please

1 hour ago, Reddog44 said:

Silly statement, he’s not 6’4”. 

That’s like saying Larry Bird would be the GOAT if he had LeBron’s athletic ability, or #16 from Vidor would be the best if he had Bush’s mind set and Anthony Davis’s height. 

He doesn’t....

🤯 Me frantically trying to figure out who #16 is on Vidor and why he won’t step his damn game up. Come on, we need you 16!

I haven’t seen Hefner play in about a month but the last time I saw him he was still a little hesitant on his knee. He will use a completely different skill set as an Aggie than he has to use this year as a Bulldog. I hope he builds up a little before he hits the floor in the SEC , they got some bangers in that conference. 

12 minutes ago, whsalum said:

I haven’t seen Hefner play in about a month but the last time I saw him he was still a little hesitant on his knee. He will use a completely different skill set as an Aggie than he has to use this year as a Bulldog. I hope he builds up a little before he hits the floor in the SEC , they got some bangers in that conference. 

At 6’4”/6’5”. Around 215 lbs would be ideal

2 hours ago, Michele said:

Are grown up adults making all these posts? Anyways, congratulations to the Titans, always have strong teams and wish them well the rest of the season.  To my Bulldogs, win some you lose some so pick your head up and finish taking care of business, lots of games left. 

Yeah some people can’t stand it when a kid from Nederland gets a basketball scholarship.  They did the same thing to Weisbrod a couple of years ago:

47 minutes ago, Bigdog said:

Yeah some people can’t stand it when a kid from Nederland gets a basketball scholarship.  They did the same thing to Weisbrod a couple of years ago:

Weisbrod should've went to a bigger school, he was greatly overlooked. Still IMO the best player to come thru there. He was a beast and had that dog in him (no pun intended)

5 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Weisbrod should've went to a bigger school, he was greatly overlooked. Still IMO the best player to come thru there. He was a beast and had that dog in him (no pun intended)

I have to respectfully disagree on the college statement but agree with him being the most impactful bulldogs to come through there. I think the Southland conference was the right place for him. I honestly think him and the Lofton kid for PA are very similar. He has a big body, good rebounder and has good foot work but he’s a better free throw shooter than Weisbrod.  The downside to both is there ball handling skills, there athletic ability and there ability to guard away from the basket.  This part of the game for big men really isn’t exposed in high school because there guarding bigger guys 8 feet from the basket. It’s not there fault but guys who are 6”5 are forwards in college not post like they are in HS. This is not to say they can’t be successful in college because Weisbrod was but it wouldn’t of been that way if he played at a bigger school IMO. 

1 hour ago, Bigdog said:

Funny that you mentioned Weisbrod, because it was the comparison to him is the very thing that piqued my interest in seeing what Heffner could do.  I meam, you don't throw those comparisons around freely like that because Weisbrod was a beast and proved it in big games against even powerhouse competition....

17 hours ago, Reddog44 said:

OK, I get it’s your opinion, but I stopped reading after the B- athletically. 

That’s possibly the craziest thing I’ve ever heard. 

Best Athlete in SETX. (Basketball)

Not even close. 

No dog in this fight but United has six kids more athletic on the basketball court than Hefner.  Lighting must be an issue in Ned's gym.

Bottom line is this,none of your opinions really matter!Obviously you guys are like me and sit at work with nothing else to do besides read and write on this forum,none of us play or coach at the next levels so our opinions really are worthless,knowing heff personal,he is a great young man,not saying great at basketball saying a great young man and regardless if he is good enough to make it playing at the next level is irrelevant because he has a great head on his shoulders,4.0 gpa and could of left for A&M in December to start college but chose to stay with his friends,but the big picture is this,if he balls out in college great if not guess what the kid is super intelligent and will succeed in life and make way more money than all of us so who is really the failures,not him,,just enjoy the sport and encourage the kids,why knock em,even though I have yet to see him do anything major against good competition he is still a great kid,a great player and could be a very great leader one day in our sorry society!!!!Rant over!!!!!!

14 hours ago, Yeoj said:

No dog in this fight but United has six kids more athletic on the basketball court than Hefner.  Lighting must be an issue in Ned's gym.

6 kids, more athletic!?!?

Funny Stuff, Not one of those more athletic kids has a Scholarship to a bigger school.

Their best player is going to Lamar. Don’t get me wrong, Kason is awesome. 

But not a better athlete. 

What ever you guys are smoking, keep on keeping on, must be good. 

look, the kid is a special basketball talent and anyone who says otherwise just doesn't understand the game...I think he is asked to do too much on this Nederland team, but I think that is out of necessity to a large degree...consistently, teams double team him and rotate fresh defenders on to him in an effort to keep him somewhat in check...if he isn't any good, then why are they doing this???  The Dogs lack enough other playmakers to offset this and the really good teams can focus an inordinate amount of resource/defense on Hefner.

I think the "athlete" question is pretty moot...best athlete does not translate to best basketball player...Russel Westbrook may be the best athlete in the NBA, but while is a very good player, no one would argue that he is the best player in the league...Hef has a high basketball IQ, passes the ball and sees the floor extremely well, has a pretty good shot (which will only improve), and can jump out of the gym...his future is bright!  anybody trashing him on here really needs to look at the big picture and frankly, get a life...he is clearly one of the best in the area

34 minutes ago, Razor said:

look, the kid is a special basketball talent and anyone who says otherwise just doesn't understand the game...I think he is asked to do too much on this Nederland team, but I think that is out of necessity to a large degree...consistently, teams double team him and rotate fresh defenders on to him in an effort to keep him somewhat in check...if he isn't any good, then why are they doing this???  The Dogs lack enough other playmakers to offset this and the really good teams can focus an inordinate amount of resource/defense on Hefner.

I think the "athlete" question is pretty moot...best athlete does not translate to best basketball player...Russel Westbrook may be the best athlete in the NBA, but while is a very good player, no one would argue that he is the best player in the league...Hef has a high basketball IQ, passes the ball and sees the floor extremely well, has a pretty good shot (which will only improve), and can jump out of the gym...his future is bright!  anybody trashing him on here really needs to look at the big picture and frankly, get a life...he is clearly one of the best in the area

Preach!!! Most of the animosity towards him is really just jealousy at its finest. 

Weird direction this game thread has taken. There are multiple reasons that Hefner was recruited by and is attending top Big boy basketball schools. Yes he is athletic, yes he is talented, yes he is exceptional at the game and in the classroom, yes he has big time potential with a very high ceiling. That fact that his trajectory has gone the way it has is proof. The fact that many of the same people on here staying “facts” have him in their list of top basketball players in the area...including listed above all players on United outside of Harrison is proof. The fact that he has a high ranking in the State by recruiting “experts”, above ALL players on United except Harrison is proof. 
So sure, go type away and tell everyone how you dropped the mic with “facts” implying Hefner is overrated. The more likes you get should validate your opinion 🙄

Hefner will be fine and will continue to be the overrated player that EVERY team Nederland plays game plans around. He will get his and put lots of players on posters (or hudl highlights) his remaining HS games. 
And Hefner doesn’t need to be asked to do so much on the team, he has plenty of experienced teammates that could be used in roles...but that’s another thread 😬