Silsbee 68 Hardin-Jefferson 65/FINAL

WOSgrad

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Or #10 La Marque, or #11 Connally, or #15 Waxahachie Life, or #22 Palestine or Mexia (who just beat Palestine) or Midlothian Heritage or Carthage or Jasper.

For District 22 this year the goal is to make it to Huntsville.  Making it to the Regional final or beyond is gravy, we'll talk about it if it happens.  

A look at the brackets reveals that winning the district makes that goal a lot more attainable.  The runner up will likely face Yates in the second round and then La Marque in the third.  A tough proposition.

The winner of 22 will have have a much easier road.  W22 will have to contend with W17, W18 and W21 in it's sub bracket on the road to Huntsville.  Likely candidates are Huffman from 21, either Connolly or China Spring from 18 and either Waxahachie Life or Alvarado from 17.  Baring upsets W22 will face W21 in the third round.  W21 will be the weakest district winner in the sub bracket.  Then in round four W22 faces the survivor of W17 vs. W18.  So if favorites prevail throughout the sub bracket it will be Connolly verses our winner in the fourth round.

Connolly is very good, better than either Silsbee or HJ, but that game is winnable by either.  Actually they didn't play the preseason schedule that Silsbee faced.  As far as ranked opponents go they lost to Liberty Hill by 15 and to Seminole by 11. 

8 hours ago, whsalum said:

I never did see a stat line on this one. I believe the Hawks were 4-13 from the line which is a dagger in a close ballgame. 

Here are the stats that I took during my broadcast:

Score by Quarters

1                          2                         3                           4                    tot

HJ                        17                       19                       18                       11                      65

SIL                       19                       19                        20                      10                       68

FT

HJ           5/14      36%

SIL           10/22   45%

3 Point

HJ            6/19       32%

SIL           8/24       33%

Rebounds

HJ                 34

SIL                43

Turnovers

HJ              17

SIL             19

Fouls

HJ                 22

SIL                18

Individual scoring (* starters)

HJ

Baxter Wirth*                       18 (16 in 2nd half)

Jaiden Porter*                     14 (11 in 1st half)

RJ Sears*                               9 (8 in 1st half)

Izaak Ogle                            7

Austin Samaha*                   6

Trevon White                       5

Aron Alchtar                        3

Jaysten Davis*                     2

Kam Moore                         1

Silsbee

Braelon Bush*                   31 (21 in 1st half, 6/9 FT)

Chris Martin*                     19 (14 in 3rd Q)

K'Drian Cartwright*           12 (9 in 1st half)

Raymon Baltrip                 3

Jerrick Harper                   2

Jordan Edwards*               1

(Shan Gilder*)

Bench scoring

HJ                                      16

SIL                                       5

The trio of Bush, Martin and Cartwright combined for 62 of Silsbee's 68 points (91%)

Silsbee only made two shots from the field in 4th quarter (Bush 2 pointer, Cartwright game winning 3 pointer) Silsbee was 5/10 FT in 4th.

Silsbee had the largest lead of the game (10, 64-54) HJ's largest lead was 3 (7-4). Silsbee led the entire 2nd half until HJ tied it 65-65 with 17 seconds left in game coming off an 11-1 run from the 3 minute mark.

Poor FT shooting by both.  One thing I noticed in my short few years of following HS basketball.  One game, a team can’t seem to miss a FT.   Next game, can’t buy one.  Three point shooting was a good avg.  Imo, 3 pointers get a lot easier to make when you have a good lead.   All in all, this game was a “gray hair maker” for coaches and fans.