Silsbee 68 Hardin-Jefferson 65/FINAL

WOSgrad

9 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Yes he is playing.

AggiesAreWe please check your sources regarding information on Yates.  Doakes did not play on Wednesday 01-15-2020 against Wheatley. Doakes has not played for Yates this season. Doakes is still in street clothes. I will update this thread if he is in uniform today. 

FYI, I am one of several volunteers for the boys basketball team and I have not missed a game this season.

54 minutes ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

AggiesAreWe please check your sources regarding information on Yates.  Doakes did not play on Wednesday 01-15-2020 against Wheatley. Doakes has not played for Yates this season. Doakes is still in street clothes. I will update this thread if he is in uniform today. 

FYI, I am one of several volunteers for the boys basketball team and I have not missed a game this season.

Eligibility or injury?

We're always impressed with Bush.  But I've got to say that I"m very very impressed with Wirth as well.  I don't know how important he is from game to game but last night he was the essential element.  Without Wirth they lose by 15.  What a great basketball sense he has.  Right place at the right time.  And when push came to shove he wanted the ball and he delivered.  Is that what it's like with him all the time?  And the thing is that when they run out for warm ups he's the LEAST likely looking kid bet be the backbone of the team.  Just an average, forgive me but I have to say it, scrawny looking kid.  There's nothing scrawny about his game.

Our Tigers are a little bit better but this is a really good team.  I predict they will make it to the Regional Tournament or to Yates, whichever comes first.  The silly kids are always chanting "overrated" at Silsbee but when it comes to Hawks I'll chant "underrated".

4 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

We're always impressed with Bush.  But I've got to say that I"m very very impressed with Wirth as well.  I don't know how important he is from game to game but last night he was the essential element.  Without Wirth they lose by 15.  What a great basketball sense he has.  Right place at the right time.  And when push came to shove he wanted the ball and he delivered.  Is that what it's like with him all the time?  And the thing is that when they run out for warm ups he's the LEAST likely looking kid bet be the backbone of the team.  Just an average, forgive me but I have to say it, scrawny looking kid.  There's nothing scrawny about his game.

Our Tigers are a little bit better but this is a really good team.  I predict they will make it to the Regional Tournament or to Yates, whichever comes first.  The silly kids are always chanting "overrated" at Silsbee but when it comes to Hawks I'll chant "underrated".

I think you mean Cartwright...

2 hours ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

Doakes is not in uniform today, sitting in the stands today. 

1 hour ago, JimThorpe said:

He’s a gritty kid who seems to consistently play his better ball the bigger the stage. This group of Hawks are a lot of fun to watch. They are probably one of the most unselfish bunch I’ve ever watched. 

Just now, whsalum said:

He’s a gritty kid who seems to consistently play his better ball the bigger the stage. This group of Hawks are a lot of fun to watch. They are probably one of the most unselfish bunch I’ve ever watched. 

This was the 7th time I have watched HJ this season. IMO, #2 Wirth is the catalyst that makes the Hawks go. He does it on both ends of the floor. #22 Samaha might be my favorite player on the HJ team, but Wirth is their MVP if that team has one. I agree, the Hawks are a TEAM more so than others. I also think they are deeper than Silsbee it's just that Silsbee clearly has the best player and scoring 31 last night pretty much proved that fact. But, Martin and Cartwright are good in their own rights and compliment Bush very well. Martin took over the 3rd quarter last night scoring 14 of his 19. Cartwright was big in 1st quarter but struggled the remainder of the game until hitting the winning shot.

I look for a similar game next time at HJ.

7 minutes ago, whsalum said:

You gotta love that kid.  My personal interest is that he reminds me of my grandson.  He's going to end up about the same height and build, maybe a little taller.  He's quick and agile but he's not going to be any kind of specimen.  I'd like him to see Wirth play in a big game.  Actually I'd like to see a lot of kids 10 to 13 year olds see Wirth play.  

I remember a few years ago when Silsbee met Hudson in the Regional Semi Final.  Hudson had a kid who looked a lot like Wirth.  In warm ups I just dismissed him as just a guy that maybe gets to play from time to time.  They announce the starting line up and low and behold.  Then the the game starts and this guy proceeds to light it up.  The Tigers were just about helpless to stop him.  And he was absolutely not fast.  He was smooooooooth though.  Deceptive.  He led Hudson to a 3 point lead at the half.  The Tigers were a little shell shocked but they came out turned it on and ran way to a 19 point win.  He didn't have that much help either.  If there had been one more like him on the court for the Hornets it would have been a question. 

5 minutes ago, no-look said:

I always thought Bush was the motor that made that team go. Adams and McCain were D1 players but Bush was the man. 

You get the feeling that Bush could take it to the hoop almost every time down the court and that he doesn't do it only because it would be bad form.  Kind of like Pete Maravich at LSU.  The best chance to score on every single trip down the court was to have Pete take the shot. 

I think the Hawks can be pretty satisfied that they way they held him to only 31.  Blocked a couple of his shots and made him miss a few times.  Even stole the ball from him once.  Good job men.  Usually it takes a big 5A or 6A team to do that.