Silsbee 68 Hardin-Jefferson 65/FINAL

WOSgrad

Great game, tensions got high for a bit, but game hit back on track and it had a thriller ending. Both teams had missed opportunities to pull away at times. Refs weren’t great, but weren’t the worst so about what is expected. 

Looking forward to game two in Hawk Country!

Not happy we blew a 10 point lead in the fourth quarter.

Some of that was HJ, but some of that was also bad Silsbee. Need to clean that up for the next game.

Martin went out for a few plays with a leg injury. Soon as he comes back in he gets tangled up with a Hawk, who proceeds to lay on that leg for just a little too long. Neither him nor a few other Silsbee players were happy about that. That's what the main technical fouls were over.

Still, our kids need to not give away free points in close games.

Great game!! Better finish!  Tigers had to made too many mistakes with the lead.  Bad choices that HJ did what a good team should do and took advantage of them.  Have to stay focused and make your opponent make the plays, dont rush things and make it easier for them to make those plays.  Learn from this one and move on to the next one.  Way to go Tigers!

1 minute ago, JimThorpe said:

Sat behind a Yates guy.  He was impressed with the scrappiness and heart of both teams.  But the Lions size would overpower either.  

The size thing doesn't really make a difference in some cases when you're hitting your shots ... Silsbee had alot of missed opportunities 

8 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

Sat behind a Yates guy.  He was impressed with the scrappiness and heart of both teams.  But the Lions size would overpower either.  

They play really fast was what I heard out of the Yates coaches.

But I'm afraid you're right. Yates size would probably kill us.

1 minute ago, Tigers94 said:

They play really fast was what I heard out of the Yates coaches.

But I'm afraid you're right. Yates size would probably kill us.

I asked him about that.  It’s like who needs transition when you can dominate the boards on both ends and go over any kind of pressure.  But yea, it’s the same old fast paced thing.  They aren’t No. 1 for nothing.

3 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

True but he was talking big big, 6-11, 6-7,  situations where the shortest guy on the court is 6-3.

That's just Jack Yates lol... We know them well... And they always have big really good players... But I" get what you are saying... But we are the reason Coach Wise and the rest of the coaching staff where in that gym tonight.. They know us really well too... 

2 minutes ago, Who That said:

That's just Jack Yates lol... We know them well... And they always have big really good players... But I" get what you are saying... But we are the reason Coach Wise and the rest of the coaching staff where in that gym tonight.. They know us really well too... 

Coach Wise and his staff were in the Tiger Den tonight to see Hardin-Jefferson as much as they were to see Silsbee.

I spoke with them.

Don’t get it twisted.  Yates is better in the backcourt as well.  Granted, Bush might be the best player on the floor in that matchup but after that, it’s several Lions before you get to the next Tiger.  

Back to the game, sounds like it was a classic.  Exactly what that matchup deserves. 

1 hour ago, Tigers94 said:

Not happy we blew a 10 point lead in the fourth quarter.

Some of that was HJ, but some of that was also bad Silsbee. Need to clean that up for the next game.

Martin went out for a few plays with a leg injury. Soon as he comes back in he gets tangled up with a Hawk, who proceeds to lay on that leg for just a little too long. Neither him nor a few other Silsbee players were happy about that. That's what the main technical fouls were over.

Still, our kids need to not give away free points in close games.

What you didn’t see was Martin kick someone in the head after he stood up

10 minutes ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

if this is true, I hope it was an accident and no one was injured. 

Only real injury I seen tonight was Martin lying on the ground and limping to the back for a few minutes.

Yeah... he was pissed at a Hawk taking his time to get off that hurt leg. If he did dish out a kick, it probably wasn't an accident. Calm and cool isn't a strong trait among some of our players.