Willie Ray Smith Awards

BADSANTA

17 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

I dont recall anyone from BC ever winning or being considered in the last 28 years lmao. I think Draylon Taylor from Silsbee is a Finalist. 

Andy Lara from BC is an offensive nominee and Jackson Tim’s on defense. Nominees have been announced. The finalist won’t be announced until Jan 22

On 1/19/2020 at 11:42 AM, BADSANTA said:

I dont recall anyone from BC ever winning or being considered in the last 28 years lmao. I think Draylon Taylor from Silsbee is a Finalist. 

Bock won it in 97 if my memory serves me correctly. He was the running back in BC. Straight beast in the back field! 

19 minutes ago, rhino1877 said:

Bock won it in 97 if my memory serves me correctly. He was the running back in BC. Straight beast in the back field! 

#22, i remember him, seen him run over many of ppl back then. He won in 96. Chip won in 97. 

Edit: i stand corrected you're right, the 09 Enterprise article i was reading with the winners had the wrong years. 

Past WRS winners:

1993: Dexter Hebert, Kelly

1994: Jay McGuire, Silsbee

1995: Jeffery Spikes, Burkeville

1996: Elijah Burkins, Thomas Jefferson

1997: Bryan Bock, Bridge City

1998: Offense: Chip Ambres, West Brook; Defense: Charles Sias, WO-S

1999: Offense: Beaux Daville, Orangefield; Defense: Rod Gulley, Newton

2000: Offense: Dustin Long, PN-G; Defense: Gayron Allen, WO-S

2001: Offense: Sean Yoder, Nederland; Defense: Jermaine Hope, WO-S

2002: Offense: Tony Eckert, Lumberton; Defense: Ricky Wilson, Lincoln

2003: Offense: Matt Peebles, Bridge City; Defense: William Bryant, Jasper

2004: Offense: Jamaal Charles, P.A. Memorial; Defense: William Morrissey, Silsbee

2005: Offense: Jamaal Charles, P.A. Memorial; Defense: Brian West, Ozen

2006: Offense: Kenneth Beasley, WO-S; Defense: Sean Weatherspoon, Jasper

2007: Offense: Micah Mosley, Nederland; Defense: Earl Thomas, WO-S

2008: Offense: Cody Hussey, Lumberton; Defense: Tramain Thomas, East Chambers

2009: Offense: Christian Micheal, West Brook Defense: Kevin Robinson, WO-S

2010: Offense: Jeremy Johnson, Silsbee; Defense: Jacoby Hale, Central

2011: Offense: Fred Ford, Kirbyville; Defense: Colin Garrett, West Brook

2012: Offense: Terrence Singleton, P.A. Memorial; Defense: Corbin Carr, Nederland

2013: Offense: Montana Quirante, Vidor; Defense: Montana Quirante, Vidor

2014: Offense: Patrick Reed, Silsbee; DeShawn Washington, Nederland

2015: Offense: Michael Jacquet, Central; Defense: Deionte Thompson, WO-S

2016: Offense: Jack Dallas, WO-S; Defense: Steven Tims, WO-S

2017: Offense: Calvin Tyler, Silsbee; Defense: Kary Vincent, PA Memorial

2018: Offense: Roschon Johnson, PN-G; Defense: Corbin Foster, Newton

2019: Offense: Darwin Barlow, Newton; Defense: Darrell Hawkins, Jr., West Brook

19 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Past WRS winners:

1993: Dexter Hebert, Kelly

1994: Jay McGuire, Silsbee

1995: Jeffery Spikes, Burkeville

1996: Elijah Burkins, Thomas Jefferson

1997: Bryan Bock, Bridge City

1998: Offense: Chip Ambres, West Brook; Defense: Charles Sias, WO-S

1999: Offense: Beaux Daville, Orangefield; Defense: Rod Gulley, Newton

2000: Offense: Dustin Long, PN-G; Defense: Gayron Allen, WO-S

2001: Offense: Sean Yoder, Nederland; Defense: Jermaine Hope, WO-S

2002: Offense: Tony Eckert, Lumberton; Defense: Ricky Wilson, Lincoln

2003: Offense: Matt Peebles, Bridge City; Defense: William Bryant, Jasper

2004: Offense: Jamaal Charles, P.A. Memorial; Defense: William Morrissey, Silsbee

2005: Offense: Jamaal Charles, P.A. Memorial; Defense: Brian West, Ozen

2006: Offense: Kenneth Beasley, WO-S; Defense: Sean Weatherspoon, Jasper

2007: Offense: Micah Mosley, Nederland; Defense: Earl Thomas, WO-S

2008: Offense: Cody Hussey, Lumberton; Defense: Tramain Thomas, East Chambers

2009: Offense: Christian Micheal, West Brook Defense: Kevin Robinson, WO-S

2010: Offense: Jeremy Johnson, Silsbee; Defense: Jacoby Hale, Central

2011: Offense: Fred Ford, Kirbyville; Defense: Colin Garrett, West Brook

2012: Offense: Terrence Singleton, P.A. Memorial; Defense: Corbin Carr, Nederland

2013: Offense: Montana Quirante, Vidor; Defense: Montana Quirante, Vidor

2014: Offense: Patrick Reed, Silsbee; DeShawn Washington, Nederland

2015: Offense: Michael Jacquet, Central; Defense: Deionte Thompson, WO-S

2016: Offense: Jack Dallas, WO-S; Defense: Steven Tims, WO-S

2017: Offense: Calvin Tyler, Silsbee; Defense: Kary Vincent, PA Memorial

2018: Offense: Roschon Johnson, PN-G; Defense: Corbin Foster, Newton

2019: Offense: Darwin Barlow, Newton; Defense: Darrell Hawkins, Jr., West Brook

72 TDs Dontre Thomas robbed in 2016..I'm just saying lol. 

3 hours ago, Ty Cobb said:

Is there a list of nominees?

The finalists (4 for offense, 4 for defense) will be announced this evening at WRS press conference.

As for nominees, I have the list of players nominated by their coaches (I am a voter for WRS), but I am not at liberty to post. Reason being, not all coaches nominated players for this award (really don't want to reveal who nominated and who didn't). In fact, this year's list is the smallest we have had in many years.

On 1/20/2020 at 3:37 PM, BADSANTA said:

Could be or Taylor of Silsbee with his playoff performances for sure. 

19 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

72 TDs Dontre Thomas robbed in 2016..I'm just saying lol. 

This is what I'm talking about.  Taylor should be considered for his playoff performances..... but Dontre deserved it in 2016 when y'all got bounced in the first round.  

If you think Taylor deserves it because of his playoff performances, then you certainly must agree that The Legend of Jack Dallas rightfully won in 2016 after leading the Disgustangs to a state championship.

You can't have it both ways, Smoketown. 

5 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

This is what I'm talking about.  Taylor should be considered for his playoff performances..... but Dontre deserved it in 2016 when y'all got bounced in the first round.  

If you think Taylor deserves it because of his playoff performances, then you certainly must agree that The Legend of Jack Dallas rightfully won in 2016 after leading the Disgustangs to a state championship.

You can't have it both ways, Smoketown. 

You are wrong. Dontre led his team to regional finals in 2016, his senior year. Lost to Carthage.

Calvin Tyler won it in 2017 when Silsbee lost in 1st round to Carthage. Jack Dallas didn't win it that year even though his team won state title.

So why didn't Jack Dallas win it his senior year? They won state just like year before.

9 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

You are wrong. Dontre led his team to regional finals in 2016, his senior year. Lost to Carthage.

Calvin Tyler won it in 2017 when Silsbee lost in 1st round to Carthage. Jack Dallas didn't win it that year even though his team won state title.

So why didn't Jack Dallas win it his senior year? They won state just like year before.

We're both wrong.  Dontre led you guys to the regional finals in 2015, but won the award in the Spring of 2016.  Y'all got knocked by Carthage in 2016 and Tyler racked up the award that Spring (2017).  I got confused over the years (season vs. WRS) when I was running back through the stats. 

JD didn't win in 2017 because the voters decided (after Jamaal Charles) that you can't win two years in a row.  The rules were again revised after voters selected Montana Quirante as offense AND defensive winner after the 2012 season.  I'm kinda surprised that you didn't know all of this.  

You could make an argument either way in 2016 (Dontre vs Dallas) or 2017 (Dallas vs. Tyler).  I have it on good authority that all of the voters in 5A were so glad to see Tyler transfer to Silsbee for athletic purposes before the 2016 season that they rewarded him with the WRS.

At  the end of the day it's all subjective, but nobody got screwed either year.  

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

We're both wrong.  Dontre led you guys to the regional finals in 2015, but won the award in the Spring of 2016.  Y'all got knocked by Carthage in 2016 and Tyler racked up the award that Spring (2017).  I got confused over the years (season vs. WRS) when I was running back through the stats. 

JD didn't win in 2017 because the voters decided (after Jamaal Charles) that you can't win two years in a row.  The rules were again revised after voters selected Montana Quirante as offense AND defensive winner after the 2012 season.  I'm kinda surprised that you didn't know all of this.  

You could make an argument either way in 2016 (Dontre vs Dallas) or 2017 (Dallas vs. Tyler).  I have it on good authority that all of the voters in 5A were so glad to see Tyler transfer to Silsbee for athletic purposes before the 2016 season that they rewarded him with the WRS.

At  the end of the day it's all subjective, but nobody got screwed either year.  

You can win two years in a row. There was no such rule implemented.

Dallas was nominated both his junior and senior years. In fact, he made the finalists list (final 4) his senior year. I know. I voted that year.

BTW, there are no "5A" voters. The people who vote are all media who cover all classifications.