Silsbee vs Hardin Jefferson Hardin County Havoc

BADSANTA

I think you'll see guys like Bush and Martin have a really big game due to Hardin Jefferson's press giving up open 3's and driving lanes.  However, I think the rest of Silsbee's team is highly overrated by many on this forum and they will struggle with the pressure.  I'll go against the grain and take the deeper, more disciplined team...Hardin Jefferson.

1 hour ago, HOOPDR3AMS said:

I think you'll see guys like Bush and Martin have a really big game due to Hardin Jefferson's press giving up open 3's and driving lanes.  However, I think the rest of Silsbee's team is highly overrated by many on this forum and they will struggle with the pressure.  I'll go against the grain and take the deeper, more disciplined team...Hardin Jefferson.

Cartwright for Silsbee will also have a big game

It’s nice to have a little equity in this matchup for the first time in several years, but the downside to that is that for the time in a long time southeast Texas doesn’t have a team in 4A with a realistic shot of winning state.  I hate that 4A has become filled with “small” schools from big cities with huge player pools.  It makes the 4 year run Silsbee put together even more impressive, but it also means that small town 4A State titles are quickly going to become a thing of the past.  Maybe this next crop of Silsbee kids will live up to the hype, but it feels like we’re approaching a time where you could combine HJ and Silsbee’s player pools and they’d still struggle to get past all of the 4A schools from Houston and Dallas that have hundreds, if not thousands, of players to choose from that are just a transfer away.  

20 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

It’s nice to have a little equity in this matchup for the first time in several years, but the downside to that is that for the time in a long time southeast Texas doesn’t have a team in 4A with a realistic shot of winning state.  I hate that 4A has become filled with “small” schools from big cities with huge player pools.  It makes the 4 year run Silsbee put together even more impressive, but it also means that small town 4A State titles are quickly going to become a thing of the past.  Maybe this next crop of Silsbee kids will live up to the hype, but it feels like we’re approaching a time where you could combine HJ and Silsbee’s player pools and they’d still struggle to get past all of the 4A schools from Houston and Dallas that have hundreds, if not thousands, of players to choose from that are just a transfer away.  

And magnet schools and charter schools.  How about this.  Force charters and magnets to compete at or above 5A.  They can have as many kids as they want but they aren't permitted to compete below 5A.  Hows that for a rule change?  Give the small schools a shot.  

Of course if you'd given Liberty Hill any more of a shot they'd be the reigning state champs.

27 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Exactly!!

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Don’t be afraid to look bad.  Never stopped me ;)  I predicted the last Silsbee class (while they are in jr high) would lose no more than 3 district games in 4 years and even with a big asterisk on one, they didn’t.   I will predict this series will split this year; we will see.   Regardless, I think we will see a more evenly balanced rivalry this year.  

I will also go out on a limb and say if any Silsbee class beats the four year results of the one that graduated last year, they haven’t been born yet. 

Even if this incoming team stays together and lives up to its hype,that is a pretty strong limb.  

1 hour ago, Who That said:

Hopefully the freshman Jones can use his size and get some rebounds and putbacks 

That won't happen.  Seems like he's just a step behind.  When they put him in early it's one foul after another.  In my humble opinion he really should be playing JV so he can get lots and lots of playing time in real game situations.  He would start of course and he'd have to run, run, run.  And that's what he needs.  

Plus Silsbee's JV can use the help.  They lost to HF last night and to WOS in overtime last week.  He's just a freshman his time will come and then watch out.

As far as the dunk count goes, believe it or not, Jordan Edwards can dunk. He's just an inch taller than Braylon. Seen it with my own eyes. Not sure he can pull it off in a game or not. It would probably have to be on a put back or something similar.

Whoever number 40 is for Silsbee can also dunk. Still don't know exactly who everyone is on this team yet. Him or Cartwright are probably our best bets.

1 hour ago, DeuceSixSuited said:

This rivalry used to be huge. I loved playing in it! I’m thinking the games this year will be much closer. I still see silsbee winning but it will be a great close game. 

Yeah rivalries aren’t as fun, especially for the general public, when they are one-sided.  In your playing days, those were some battles, with huge stakes on the lines often times.   

15 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Yeah rivalries aren’t as fun, especially for the general public, when they are one-sided.  In your playing days, those were some battles, with huge stakes on the lines often times.   

Absolutely! I think this year and next year will be close games but then silsbee will start a strong run again! 

I'll give the Tigers home court advantage in a close one. The Tigers seem to play well at home against 4a opponents and the Hawks will have the same on their home court along with the ruckus crowd and the student section chanting "Overrated".  They'll be doing it as well Friday night in the Tiger Den😆

12 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

And magnet schools and charter schools.  How about this.  Force charters and magnets to compete at or above 5A.  They can have as many kids as they want but they aren't permitted to compete below 5A.  Hows that for a rule change?  Give the small schools a shot.  

Of course if you'd given Liberty Hill any more of a shot they'd be the reigning state champs.

100% agree 

I think at some point the UIL will need to move all of these 4A schools will large player pulls to move to 5A. Any year for Yates, Carter, Lincoln, or even Faith Family to be 4A is a complete joke. The people at those schools should be ashamed your a city of 2.1 million vs towns of 6800 or less. I hope Silsbe can at least get to Regionals but unless Lebron James walks in we have no shot to beat that Yates team. I've seen highlights of the 6'9 lod shoots 3s and they have added 3 more high quality kids from last year. What a freaking joke!! Coach Wise is over there cheating!!! 

35 minutes ago, CocaColaCowboy said:

I'll give the Tigers home court advantage in a close one. The Tigers seem to play well at home against 4a opponents and the Hawks will have the same on their home court along with the ruckus crowd and the student section chanting "Overrated".  They'll be doing it as well Friday night in the Tiger Den😆

I don't understand the logic of the "overrated" chant.  If you best a highly ranked team that is in reality overrated then, well, okay.  But if you beat a highly ranked team that deserves their ranking then it makes what you did look much better.  Maybe the logic is simply that high school kids can just be crass from time to time even when it makes no sense.  Looking back I suppose I'd have to plead guilty myself.

But I also don't understand why HJ is not ranked.  We may find out on the court tomorrow that the Hawks are actually better than the Tigers.  Wouldn't surprise me one little bit.  If that happens I'll be chanting "Underrated" and I'll be the Hawks biggest fan if they get a shot at Yates. 

Naturally I want the Tigers to always win.  But lately there's this new dynamic that's sort of the subtext of Region 3 and it's 22-4A vs. Jack Yates and it really doesn't matter which 22-4A team stops them as long as somebody does.  Last year they beat both of us and I hated that.  Certainly there's nobody in their own district, 23 that can remotely challenge them.  17 and 18 are pretty strong but really 22 is the best shot the region has of stopping the Magnetic Lions.  Hey, that's pretty good.  That's what I'm calling them from now on, the Magnetic Lions.  Wait, I'm being crass aren't I.  Oops.  

6 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

I remember Benard he could jump out the gym. That 2010 Silsbee team should have won state. The size on those kids 6'7, 6'7, 6'3, 6'2, 6,0 starting lineup was incredible for 3A at the time. I seen Silsbee with Stallworth and Lane play Bosha and Prudhomme a few times. 

Yes sir we were loaded back then. The Stallworth vs Prudhomme and Bosha matchups were good games. Just like the Robinson Vs Benard 

1 minute ago, DeuceSixSuited said:

Yes sir we were loaded back then. The Stallworth vs Prudhomme and Bosha matchups were good games. Just like the Robinson Vs Benard 

I don’t remember who played for the Tigers but the HJ team captained by Ryan Donahoe was one of the best high school rivalries I’ve seen. The battle at the regional tournament that year was a fans dream. 

Anyone going to the game had better get there as early as possible if it's like it was last year. Tiger side was jam packed before the JV game was over.

I'm taking Sisbee by 10 in this one. I think the Tigers will come out like they have something to prove.

I think a big X factor for us now will be Cartwright. So long as he keeps his head on his shoulders, there's no reason he can't average around 20 points a game for us this year.

As much as I like Silsbee winning, it is sorta exciting to have a real rivalry for what should be these next two years. Not sure what HJ is bringing up through the lower classes to see if it'll last longer than that or not.