Astros Penalty

This is the hidden content, please

BREAKING: Per sources, MLB’s penalties for #Astros include:

*One-year suspensions for GM Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch.

*Losses of 1st and 2nd round draft picks in both 2020 and ‘21.

*A fine of $5M.

Full story and more context with @EvanDrellich:

This is the hidden content, please

Cora should be banned and deservedly so. I also think Crane did the right thing in letting Luhnow and Hinch go. I don't condone what happened even if everybody else in baseball is doing it. It doesn't mean the Astros had to stoop to that level. I love baseball and despise anyone who cheats the game and its fans. 

8 minutes ago, Bulldogs92 said:

Cora should be banned and deservedly so. I also think Crane did the right thing in letting Luhnow and Hinch go. I don't condone what happened even if everybody else in baseball is doing it. It doesn't mean the Astros had to stoop to that level. I love baseball and despise anyone who cheats the game and its fans. 

Couldn’t have said it better. At first I wanted to overlook it, but I think this is the right thing to do.

18 minutes ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

The we better start vacating the titles for all the PED users.

Agree. I will say this again.....it sure didn’t give us an advantage in this last WS. We lost every home game.

It does have me wondering just how good our hitters really are. It wouldn’t be bad if I didn’t love baseball.

I can't believe it has come to this. Totally justified. Years of following a losing team, to winning a world series. And now this black eye on the organization, like the black Sox scandal. Or the strike in 94 when I stopped caring about baseball for 10 years. This will usher in a new era for Astros fans. I wont be checking the schedule for games I can go to this year. Good luck getting anyone to come to Houston now. No wonder Cole left. He knew this would blow up.

8 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

I can't believe it has come to this. Totally justified. Years of following a losing team, to winning a world series. And now this black eye on the organization, like the black Sox scandal. Or the strike in 94 when I stopped caring about baseball for 10 years. This will usher in a new era for Astros fans. I wont be checking the schedule for games I can go to this year. Good luck getting anyone to come to Houston now. No wonder Cole left. He knew this would blow up.

Crane's moves today were damage control, but I have been conflicted ever since the Astros moved to the AL West because I have also followed the Mariners since I moved to Seattle in '97. I guess that conflict can be ended now in good conscience. The M's probably should cheat (totally kidding), but they're too inept right now to know how to do it. Anyways, go M's. LOL

2 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

Some are suggesting that the MLB wanted to vacate the WS Title and Crane cut a deal by firing everyone and taking the penalty.  

If this is true, MLB is wrong.  They already held up the sale when Crane bought the team, to force the move to the AL West.  Blackmail on their parts.  With that said, I do not agree with what the Astros did.  Still a fan!!

I could see something illegal if 1 or 2 people were involved, but this incident involved virtually the whole team.   Got to wonder who was the genius who thought this up, and stupid enough to actually implement it.  It boggles the mind.    

14 hours ago, NetCat said:

I hate that they did it, but I wonder how many other teams are doing something like this? It can't be just us. I hope the league comes down hard on anybody they find doing it in the future 

I don't think this is anywhere close to just the Astros. I think it may be a problem bigger than MLB knows at the moments. I'm thinking the fact this may be more wide spread than two teams is what kept Luhnow from being banned for life. I know a lot of sports writers thought that was coming. 

I have been Astros fan since for 30 years; since I discovered baseball and I agree with how hard MLB came down on the Astros and the firing of Hinch and Luhnow. This organization was under your control and you allowed cheating to take place. That's 100% unacceptable and whether you win or lose you need to do things the right way. However, I don't think there is truth to stripping them of the WS Title. You would have to strip so many WS Title's through the years if you did that.

I think they need to try and hire Craig Biggio (don't know if he would be interested). Give the fans a familiar name and face and someone they feel like they can trust. 

• 4 weeks later...

Don't agree with what Astros did but people are naive enough to think it's just them. Give me a break. Start another investigation might as well hit the Dodgers and Yankees first and save time. LA jawing about vacating trophy how bout the Rams vacating the NFC trophy they cheated the Saints out of to get to Super Bowl. Personally I wish California would break off and start slowly floating all those cry babies to southeast Asia.

The problem in this situation is that the organization gets punished but the players do not.  The GM and coach both got fired but the players who cheated do not.  I've read a lot of comments from other MLB players saying they lost respect for the houston players.   The astros have become the "bad guys" in MLB.  

The problem is, how far would you want the net be thrown. Would it include just the players that participated which may be difficult to prove or would it include the entire team who probably had knowledge? Do you punish someone for just not being a whistle blower? I think it would get very messy to single out those most guilty.