Hamshire-Fannett 42 West Orange-Stark 47/FINAL

wo-s#1

2 minutes ago, HOOPDR3AMS said:

I blame the offense.  Good coaches teach their teams how to play against multiple styles of play.  A team sitting in zone is no less playing basketball than a team in man.  Holding the ball for quarters at a time isn't playing at all and it's non-competitive.  Saying that we're not good enough to score against zone so we're not even going to try sends the wrong message.  Especially in preseason/tournament games when you should be working on this stuff.

However, I think there are situations where it's wise like holding the ball for the last shot of the quarter.  I also like how Lincoln used to do it.  They'd hold it, draw the defense out, and then carve it up.  None of this dribble in and dribble back out crap.  Compete!

Amen. 

6 hours ago, SETXSPORTSGUY409 said:

The question that you people who love this game so much are missing is. Why do you think one team is allowed to “stall“? Well I’ll answer it for you. It’s 100% because the opponent refuses to play man to man defense. “Stall ball” would be obsolete without teams sitting in zones. Since we want to outlaw “stall ball” should we outlaw zones as well??? So who do we blame for “stall ball” the offense or the defense? Before you judge someone please become knowledgeable of what you are talking about. 

It’s definitely not 100% because the opponent refuses to play man to man defense. I remember watching Westbrook play stall ball against Nederland in 2017 because they had a lead and Nederland started to make a run, so they refused to shoot the ball (and Nederland was in a man to man defense). They ran a motion with the guards that basically just passed back and forth for about 4 minutes in the second quarter. Nederland switched to a half court press to try to make them play, but then they went 4 corners and moved the ball well enough to not turn it over and they passed up plenty of wide open shots in the process. Opposing teams defense is not always the reason an offense will decide to play stall ball. 

6 hours ago, AxeEm said:

That’s a silly argument.   Overseas leagues (18u & under) use a shot clock.  This promotes player development.  10 US states have joined in as well.  Time for Texas to do the same.  Princeton had no problem controlling tempo back in the 80’s with a 45 sec clock.  If u don’t like zone defense, learn to shoot.  

So you are telling a high school coach to make sure he has players that can shoot? U do realize he only has the players that are available to him right? He doesn’t offer scholarships lol this is comical

49 minutes ago, SETXSPORTSGUY409 said:

So you are telling a high school coach to make sure he has players that can shoot? U do realize he only has the players that are available to him right? He doesn’t offer scholarships lol this is comical

It’s called development.  What all HS coaches should be attempting to do for their players.  Tell me.  What does “stall ball” do for player development?  

9 hours ago, AxeEm said:

It’s called development.  What all HS coaches should be attempting to do for their players.  Tell me.  What does “stall ball” do for player development?  

I agree shooting the basketball is one of the most important things to be taught in the game of basketball however it isn’t nearly the only thing. I would hate to see the high school game follow the path of some of the other leagues where the first person to grab it jacks it up. My question is what is your goal for “player development “ ? At the high school varsity level most kids have reached their ceilings in competitive basketball . There are numerous things that can be done by the coaches to counteract the stall, it’s part of the strategy of the game which is still the best there is . 

11 hours ago, SETXSPORTSGUY409 said:

Yea, man, shooting is a skill and it can be taught.  What's comical is you saying coaches only have the players available to them when the guy you are referring to apparently has all of Beaumont available to him.  Work on shooting or do a better job recruiting shooters!

1 hour ago, HOOPDR3AMS said:

Yea, man, shooting is a skill and it can be taught.  What's comical is you saying coaches only have the players available to them when the guy you are referring to apparently has all of Beaumont available to him.  Work on shooting or do a better job recruiting shooters!

Shooting is definitely a skill that can be taught to anyone. “Making “ is the objective however and that’s a little more difficult 😂

I love fast paced basketball as much as the next guy and am definitely a fan of the shot clock.  But it would be really difficult to implement at the HS level and would take some competitiveness out if it.  We never would have had the true story behind Hoosiers without it, for example.  The bigger problem is a practical one.  Every game would require another official likely to run it.  They aren’t as easy to run as you might think and games with volunteers running it invariably require multiple game stoppages to get it right.  Add to that expense the expense for all schools to have them installed and the argument goes way beyond a philosophical one.  

1 minute ago, TxHoops said:

I love fast paced basketball as much as the next guy and am definitely a fan of the shot clock.  But it would be really difficult to implement at the HS level and would take some competitiveness out if it.  We never would have had the true story behind Hoosiers without it, for example.  The bigger problem is a practical one.  Every game would require another official likely to run it.  They aren’t as easy to run as you might think and games with volunteers running it invariably require multiple game stoppages to get it right.  Add to that expense the expense for all schools to have them installed and the argument goes way beyond a philosophical one.  

Very much agree.

When there is a struggle to get someone to run the clock on a weekly basis and now you are needing a second person to run a shot clock, well good luck with that.

Easy way to beat a zone.  Is ball movement and have players capable of hitting shots consistently.

proper shooting should start at age 4 on proper height goal. Methodical break down.

but also if someone has the mental will power that wants to better there shooting it can be changed no matter their age with proper guidance in technique.....of course it’s a struggle against bad habits.

it can be done.  I ve seen it. Just takes someone willing to teach it and player to be coach able

14 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Truth.  Plus.. Some schools need to slow down the game immensely due to lack of an offensive presence. Force schools to throw up a shot in an allotted amount of time OR force good schools to actually shoot when a game is already out of hand and scores will be embarrassing for some. More so than already.