Hamshire-Fannett 42 West Orange-Stark 47/FINAL

wo-s#1

1 hour ago, wo-s#1 said:

I’m no basketball gooroo for sure but man going to the third ot due to stall ball is pretty nuts...Can someone explain why we don’t teach/preach for our youngsters to play the game?

I’m definitely not a basketball gooroo but HF has too much talent to do that. Watch them do same thing to College Station with the same result, loss. Play your game not your opponents.

Is it something they do all the time?  Are they going to try it Tuesday?   That would be interesting.

Anyway it's been an interesting week for the Mustangs.  Talk about your contrasts.  The pace at the Silsbee game Tuesday was positively frantic.... and very entertaining.  The Tigers were like a bunch of Tasmanian Devils and WOS got caught in the vortex.

A 45 sec shot clock would do wonders for HS basketball.   45 sec is PLENTY of time to control pace, yet still play basketball.  Nobody goes to a game to see a team sit at 1/2 court & hold the hall for 4 minutes or longer.   Play basketball.  Other states have already instituted the shot clock with great success, as well as youth academies overseas.  

14 minutes ago, AxeEm said:

A 45 sec shot clock would do wonders for HS basketball.   45 sec is PLENTY of time to control pace, yet still play basketball.  Nobody goes to a game to see a team sit at 1/2 court & hold the hall for 4 minutes or longer.   Play basketball.  Other states have already instituted the shot clock with great success, as well as youth academies overseas.  

That’s strictly an opinion. I love fast paced basketball but that’s not the only way to play. Teams that can recruit the better athletes ( colleges) benefit from this. In high school tempo is the great equalizer.

2 hours ago, AxeEm said:

Kind of like nobody wants to attend football games with the teams that never throw the ball? Coaching philosophies shouldn't be about game attendance.

High school coaches mostly do not get to choose what type athletes he/she inherits. I am all for a coach to make decisions on what's best for his/her team to be successful and if it's to hold the ball, then so be it.

The question that you people who love this game so much are missing is. Why do you think one team is allowed to “stall“? Well I’ll answer it for you. It’s 100% because the opponent refuses to play man to man defense. “Stall ball” would be obsolete without teams sitting in zones. Since we want to outlaw “stall ball” should we outlaw zones as well??? So who do we blame for “stall ball” the offense or the defense? Before you judge someone please become knowledgeable of what you are talking about. 

26 minutes ago, SETXSPORTSGUY409 said:

The question that you people who love this game so much are missing is. Why do you think one team is allowed to “stall“? Well I’ll answer it for you. It’s 100% because the opponent refuses to play man to man defense. “Stall ball” would be obsolete without teams sitting in zones. Since we want to outlaw “stall ball” should we outlaw zones as well??? So who do we blame for “stall ball” the offense or the defense? Before you judge someone please become knowledgeable of what you are talking about. 

I agree. Most times the "holding the ball" is to draw the defense out of a zone. I simply see it as an offensive strategy. Nothing wrong with that.

Is this stall an all game long thing for HF or just in the closing minutes?  I wasn't planning on making the trip but this stall thing interests me.  It may be boring but it's enticing me to make a drive I wasn't planning on.  I was going to watch the girls game at home.

Anyway, WOS has seen the gamut in one week.  The Silsbee game Tuesday was played at an almost frantic pace and now this on Friday.

2 hours ago, SETXSPORTSGUY409 said:

Thanks for the explanation,I had no idea and now it does at least make sense.

20 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

Is this stall an all game long thing for HF or just in the closing minutes?  I wasn't planning on making the trip but this stall thing interests me.  It may be boring but it's enticing me to make a drive I wasn't planning on.  I was going to watch the girls game at home.

Anyway, WOS has seen the gamut in one week.  The Silsbee game Tuesday was played at an almost frantic pace and now this on Friday.

They stalled with 3-4 minutes left in 4th and the first 3 ot...game was tied every time.The 4th ot started with a tech on the HF jumper(not sure why)and both free throws were made,so they were down at this point and couldn’t do it again.

4 hours ago, SETXSPORTSGUY409 said:

That’s a silly argument.   Overseas leagues (18u & under) use a shot clock.  This promotes player development.  10 US states have joined in as well.  Time for Texas to do the same.  Princeton had no problem controlling tempo back in the 80’s with a 45 sec clock.  If u don’t like zone defense, learn to shoot.  

4 hours ago, SETXSPORTSGUY409 said:

I blame the offense.  Good coaches teach their teams how to play against multiple styles of play.  A team sitting in zone is no less playing basketball than a team in man.  Holding the ball for quarters at a time isn't playing at all and it's non-competitive.  Saying that we're not good enough to score against zone so we're not even going to try sends the wrong message.  Especially in preseason/tournament games when you should be working on this stuff.

However, I think there are situations where it's wise like holding the ball for the last shot of the quarter.  I also like how Lincoln used to do it.  They'd hold it, draw the defense out, and then carve it up.  None of this dribble in and dribble back out crap.  Compete!