Hardin-Jefferson 70 Jasper 47/FINAL

Proud of our girls - they played hard.  Our seniors showed up and competed.  We got beat 24-9 in second quarter and never recovered from that run.   We will bounce back - HJ is very good and played a great defense game against us.  Credit to them because that is the worst we have shot all year.

High Scorers:

Heaven Scott 14

Asia Mitchell 12

Kinley Shumake 10

HJ

Beavers 18

Henry 17

Jackson 17

Smith 11

My take from being there and watching first hand was that HJ was able to take away Jasper's bread and butter which is pressure defense, and then that turned it into much more of a half court affair.

HJ has a number of outside shooters who were "on" this game and Jasper could not match the scoring pace. HJ then got nice inside scoring as well as the game went on, and then as they say, "it was a wrap"....

Jasper was working very hard defensively, and i think that my have affected their shooting percentage over the course of the game.

I would also say Jackson's finger prints were all over this game, whether it showed up in the stat book or not...

HJ's ability to defend the perimeter is top notch and was the difference in the game.  Their help man defense gave the Jasper guards a lot of problems, not at first but eventually HJ imposed their will and was forcing Jasper to work very hard for every point.  Jasper so far had been doing a very good job of neutralizing opponents guard play with their pressure and trapping defense but trying to do that to HJ is a completely different task.  HJ did a very good job of making sure that the ball always went thru their best decision maker (Jackson) and she always made the best play whether it was her scoring or finding an open teammate, which is what makes her a nightmare to defend.  HJ also got huge contributions from Henry (5 threes) and was led in scoring by the Freshman Beavers (18pts and over 10 rebs) who really grew up that game.  I loved watching #14 for Jasper (Scott?) she did a wonderful job while she was in the game controlling pace and she was relentless offensively.  I would have loved to see Jasper go man and try their luck with that because they definitely have the athleticism to do so especially when HJ went to their spread offense.  I would love to see a rematch of these 2, hopefully we get it at regionals!