9. East Chambers

10. West Hardin

11. Broaddus

12. Hemphill

13. Anahuac

14. Newton

15. San Augustine

2 hours ago, BH85 said:

Lumberton at #9?  Over HJ?  Seems a stretch.  Do they have any good wins?

Looking at Lumberton’s  descent wins 

Alvin 

Png-twice 

goose creek memorial 

Ofield 

Bay city 

Anahuac- Twice 

losses- Huffman, Nederland, sharpstown, fort Bend Marshall 

might be a bit of a stretch with the rankings but they have been playing some descent ball it looks like.

Silsbee is rightfully ranked higher than their record indicates, but I think HJ deserves the same treatment over HF and Lumberton, who’ve played much softer schedules.  Both of those teams might not have a win had they played Silsbee’s schedule, and I’m fairly confident they’d be a ways under .500 had they played HJ’s, who has a few good wins, a lot of solid ones, plus a close loss to PA.  

10 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Silsbee is rightfully ranked higher than their record indicates, but I think HJ deserves the same treatment over HF and Lumberton, who’ve played much softer schedules.  Both of those teams might not have a win had they played Silsbee’s schedule, and I’m fairly confident they’d be a ways under .500 had they played HJ’s, who has a few good wins, a lot of solid ones, plus a close loss to PA.  

I'd caution that AAW's is only one of the panel.  I have a feeling that after seeing the full results (after Heather reveals tonight) that will be posted, the HJ faithful will be a little less disappointed.

9 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

I'd caution that AAW's is only one of the panel.  I have a feeling that after seeing the full results (after Heather reveals tonight) that will be posted, the HJ faithful will be a little less disappointed.

Not disappointed at all, and AAW certainly has more HS basketball knowledge than me.  Just putting my two cents into the discussion.  I’m assuming Mike posts his rankings for just that reason... to generate a little discussion/debate 

2 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Not disappointed at all, and AAW certainly has more HS basketball knowledge than me.  Just putting my two cents into the discussion.  I’m assuming Mike posts his rankings for just that reason... to generate a little discussion/debate 

I am just going off some of the eye tests I have so far this season and the rankings are a week to week thing. Some of my reasoning is about how well a team is playing and not necessarily who would beat who. Strength of schedule is a factor.

In regards to HJ and Lumberton, if I were to bet, my money would be on HJ straight up and would put them as 10 point favorites. Now betting them to cover might be a different issue.

Let’s not miss the bigger picture that if anyone for the past few years would have said HF should be ranked at all, they would have drawn a lot of laughter.  That the debate is not if, but where they should be ranked is amazing to me.  I said when they made the hire that program would be much improved.  This quickly is shocking even to me. 

And of course the pecking order in that district is still Silsbee and HJ at the top.  And I wouldn’t be surprised at all if those two split the district games.  Might be more surprised if they don’t. 

1 minute ago, TxHoops said:

Let’s not miss the bigger picture that if anyone for the past few years would have said HF should be ranked at all, they would have drawn a lot of laughter.  That the debate is not if, but where they should be ranked is amazing to me.  I said when they made the hire that program would be much improved.  This quickly is shocking even to me. 

And of course the pecking order in that district is still Silsbee and HJ at the top.  And I wouldn’t be surprised at all if those two split the district games.  Might be more surprised if they don’t. 

Agreed. I think the district overall is much more level than it has been in many years. I still think Silsbee is the district favorite but the gap has closed quite significantly. Also, the other teams (H-F, Lumberton, BC, WO-S and LC-M) are very close to H-J but I still think only the Hawks can be the team to take the district title from Silsbee.

But, isn't it about time somebody else won district? ;)

12 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Agreed. I think the district overall is much more level than it has been in many years. I still think Silsbee is the district favorite but the gap has closed quite significantly. Also, the other teams (H-F, Lumberton, BC, WO-S and LC-M) are very close to H-J but I still think only the Hawks can be the team to take the district title from Silsbee.

But, isn't it about time somebody else won district? ;)

The crazy thing is it is a really competitive district, even with the gap that has been there at the top.   And I agree, the battle for playoff spots is going to be crazy this year.   The bakery has been closed - no cupcakes...

20 hours ago, bullets13 said:

If Silsbee is No. 8 statewide than HJ should be in the top 25.