Coaching Carosel

Alpha Wolf

13 minutes ago, TheOutsider said:

AND lets be real, it doesn't matter who BU gets because they won't ever beat WB! #BGOE

Now it's clear why your post is the way it is. It's cool  though.  The time for beating WB will come in due time.  Been many 1 score games in the past.  Maybe #BGOE need to worry about not taking 40 pt beatdowns  in basketball.  😏

Basketball? You're talking about basketball?! Come on now, we don't have time for that.  They just need to get that Beaumont Bowl made into a statue at The Brook because it's never leaving 8750 Phelan!

All kidding aside, I like the players at BU too.  Always were great kids when I was around them and yes you guys are better at bouncy ball lol

21 hours ago, TheOutsider said:

Would love to hear an explanation on this considering a large number of teachers/coaches leave the district every year despite being one of the higher paying districts in SETX.

I'm told regularly from my many friends in education that there is a mass exodus concerning both coaches AND teachers from the profession.  Not just BISD.  I also have a friend that words in the education department at SFA that tells me the number of students they're having in the education program lately is scary low.

I'm not sure if teacher pay would correct the issue or not.. people can speculate but the reason may not be money.  Like you said..."despite having one of the higher paying districts in SETX".  

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

I'm told regularly from my many friends in education that there is a mass exodus concerning both coaches AND teachers from the profession.  Not just BISD.  I also have a friend that words in the education department at SFA that tells me the number of students they're having in the education program lately is scary low.

I'm not sure if teacher pay would correct the issue or not.. people can speculate but the reason may not be money.  Like you said..."despite having one of the higher paying districts in SETX".  

The only way the state is going to get more people interested in teaching is to raise pay SIGNIFICANTLY and cut back on most of the bureaucratic BS and paperwork that gets piled on teachers.........

5 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

The only way the state is going to get more people interested in teaching is to raise pay SIGNIFICANTLY and cut back on most of the bureaucratic BS and paperwork that gets piled on teachers.........

No offense, but the legislature just gave all of the teachers a hefty raise last year.  That's not too bad for a semi-full time gig.  In fact I can't think of anybody I know in the real world that got a raise of that size that wasn't tied to a promotion.  The salary isn't the problem.... the compensation plan is more than fair.  The job just isn't what it used to be.    

The problem with the profession is this, in my opinion:  It's become so untenable in the classroom that no amount of money will convince people to choose that career path.  When I was growing up there were no "Adaptive Behavior Centers" or "PASS" classrooms where they put kids who were violent or unruly.  There was a joint effort between teachers and parents that stood firm against bad behavior.  Today you have schools that have abandoned corporal punishment, parents who don't parent and want to get on the local news whenever their kid gets hit back by a teacher, etc, etc.... The inmates are literally running the asylum in many of our schools.  

And everybody is paying too much for health insurance... that's just life. 

54 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

I believe you are hitting the problem right on the head. There are many problems with a lot of schools these days and pay is certainly one of those problems. Most would debate this topic for hours, but of all the coaches I know that LOVED coaching and still left the profession anyway it was due to what seems to be the same issues over and over again...

• PAY ( most assistant coaches that work in a winning program usually work about 70-80 hrs a week during season and probably 55 hrs a week out of season. There is no such thing as having summers off anymore. If your program is successful, most likely your program is getting after it and training during the summer also in order to improve your kids. Most coaches are ok w/ working the long hours, but to do all that, work those kinds of hours all year and still only make $55k-$70k / year...? Some just find that is not worth the time. )
  • Weak Administrations/Discipline ( There is a disease going through most schools these days when it comes to administrators cow tailing to griping parents in regards to discipline in the school. I was at my kid's school last semester and I wanted to puke at all the kids just casually walking through the halls cussing like sailors [ MF this, stupid B!&@h that, I don't give a F*#&, etc... just openly not caring 1 bit who heard them. I asked the office personnel why in the world kids were talking like that, and they responded "they always do". I wanted to puke. You also have the teachers constantly pleading with administrators to help FORCE kids to act right in the classroom, stop cussing in the classroom, quit being disrespectful in the classrooms... and they say it just falls on deaf ears. Nothing ever gets done about it.
  • Forced Academic Policies ( teacher being forced to allow kids to keep doing work until they pass when the kid absolutely refused to do anything, turn in any work or give any effort academically for entire grading periods/semesters. I am 100% in agreement with doing absolutely everything a person can to help kids. But like when the kids has missed 20 days in a semester, hasn't turned in 1 single assignment in 2 weeks, and when they do show up to class they are disrespectful to teachers; and then when the kid finds out he/she won't graduate with classmates, the parents come up to the school and throw a fit. And the result is the administration just puts the kid into credit recovery classes and do some kind of little computer credit and gets credit for the entire class and passes and graduates. I agree with the teachers - that is complete Bullsh!%...!!!! )
  • Completely Idiotic and Unrealistic Parents ( Parents who come to the school and go bezerk on people b/c there is "no way that little Johnny/Suzie did that", you ( the coach/teacher ) are lying and have some sort of horsesh!@ prejudice against their kid. The kid has only been written up or tried to be discipline 15 times already this semester, but "Johnny/Suzie didn't do anything wrong." And then on the sports side of it... Little Johnny/Suzie who is 5'6", 160 lbs, runs like an elephant and jumps like a sloth, catches w/ frying pan hands, and throws like a 6 yr old - "should be going D1 to Alabama..!!!" You ( the coach ) are "just trying to screw my kid over. He was 4x All Star during little league." Stuff like this where parents are completely off the reservation on seeing their kids w/ blinders on.

This new "everybody gets a trophy", "don't hurt anyone's feelings", "we are all the same and we are all equal regardless of talent/skill/work ethic/preparation/desire" is DESTROYING our country and our kids.

29 minutes ago, Football Freak said:

I believe you are hitting the problem right on the head. There are many problems with a lot of schools these days and pay is certainly one of those problems. Most would debate this topic for hours, but of all the coaches I know that LOVED coaching and still left the profession anyway it was due to what seems to be the same issues over and over again...

• PAY ( most assistant coaches that work in a winning program usually work about 70-80 hrs a week during season and probably 55 hrs a week out of season. There is no such thing as having summers off anymore. If your program is successful, most likely your program is getting after it and training during the summer also in order to improve your kids. Most coaches are ok w/ working the long hours, but to do all that, work those kinds of hours all year and still only make $55k-$70k / year...? Some just find that is not worth the time. )
  • Weak Administrations/Discipline ( There is a disease going through most schools these days when it comes to administrators cow tailing to griping parents in regards to discipline in the school. I was at my kid's school last semester and I wanted to puke at all the kids just casually walking through the halls cussing like sailors [ MF this, stupid B!&@h that, I don't give a F*#&, etc... just openly not caring 1 bit who heard them. I asked the office personnel why in the world kids were talking like that, and they responded "they always do". I wanted to puke. You also have the teachers constantly pleading with administrators to help FORCE kids to act right in the classroom, stop cussing in the classroom, quit being disrespectful in the classrooms... and they say it just falls on deaf ears. Nothing ever gets done about it.
  • Forced Academic Policies ( teacher being forced to allow kids to keep doing work until they pass when the kid absolutely refused to do anything, turn in any work or give any effort academically for entire grading periods/semesters. I am 100% in agreement with doing absolutely everything a person can to help kids. But like when the kids has missed 20 days in a semester, hasn't turned in 1 single assignment in 2 weeks, and when they do show up to class they are disrespectful to teachers; and then when the kid finds out he/she won't graduate with classmates, the parents come up to the school and throw a fit. And the result is the administration just puts the kid into credit recovery classes and do some kind of little computer credit and gets credit for the entire class and passes and graduates. I agree with the teachers - that is complete Bullsh!%...!!!! )
  • Completely Idiotic and Unrealistic Parents ( Parents who come to the school and go bezerk on people b/c there is "no way that little Johnny/Suzie did that", you ( the coach/teacher ) are lying and have some sort of horsesh!@ prejudice against their kid. The kid has only been written up or tried to be discipline 15 times already this semester, but "Johnny/Suzie didn't do anything wrong." And then on the sports side of it... Little Johnny/Suzie who is 5'6", 160 lbs, runs like an elephant and jumps like a sloth, catches w/ frying pan hands, and throws like a 6 yr old - "should be going D1 to Alabama..!!!" You ( the coach ) are "just trying to screw my kid over. He was 4x All Star during little league." Stuff like this where parents are completely off the reservation on seeing their kids w/ blinders on.

This new "everybody gets a trophy", "don't hurt anyone's feelings", "we are all the same and we are all equal regardless of talent/skill/work ethic/preparation/desire" is DESTROYING our country and our kids.

Amen  brother!!!

38 minutes ago, Football Freak said:

It's fair to differentiate between teachers and coaches.  There IS a lot more time put into coaching and I think that the stipends that are offered are kinda ridiculous based on the hour they put in.  

Nobody should expect to sign on a teacher and get rich, though. It's always been a lower-middle class profession and it always should be.  If you want a nice house, two new cars, a place at the lake and a boat, you should find a different career or move to where the work is.  Don't train to become a truck driver and then gripe about being away from home.... don't go to school to be an educator and then complain about the salary.  

7 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

It's fair to differentiate between teachers and coaches.  There IS a lot more time put into coaching and I think that the stipends that are offered are kinda ridiculous based on the hour they put in.  

Nobody should expect to sign on a teacher and get rich, though. It's always been a lower-middle class profession and it always should be.  If you want a nice house, two new cars, a place at the lake and a boat, you should find a different career or move to where the work is.  Don't train to become a truck driver and then gripe about being away from home.... don't go to school to be an educator and then complain about the salary.  

I couldn't disagree with you more!!!  Why is/should teaching be a lower-middle class profession?  Everyone in the world has been taught something by a teacher that has made them successful.  Doctor's, lawyers, engineers wouldn't be anywhere without teachers. Why is it ok to pay larger salaries for those jobs but next to nothing to the people that taught them?

3 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

A big part in the decline of people going to school for teaching is because people are going to school and getting lets say a Finance degree or any other degree.  Then going through an alternative certification program which it not hard at all and you have your degree to fall back on if teaching isn't for you anymore.  

1 hour ago, Ty Cobb said:

I couldn't disagree with you more!!!  Why is/should teaching be a lower-middle class profession?  Everyone in the world has been taught something by a teacher that has made them successful.  Doctor's, lawyers, engineers wouldn't be anywhere without teachers. Why is it ok to pay larger salaries for those jobs but next to nothing to the people that taught them?

Don't get in that argument with Cardinal Backer.   He has an Elitist view........

11 minutes ago, oldman said:

Don't get in that argument with Cardinal Backer.   He has an Elitist view........

I'm not looking to argue with him.  He's right, teachers have always been low paid and more than likely always will be.  I just don't understand why?  If you count kindergarten most people go to school for 13 years.  If you choose the college route add another 2-7 years depending on degree.  That means people spend 13-20 years being taught by teachers.  I just want to know why teachers are paid such a small salary.

1 hour ago, Ty Cobb said:

I'm not looking to argue with him.  He's right, teachers have always been low paid and more than likely always will be.  I just don't understand why?  If you count kindergarten most people go to school for 13 years.  If you choose the college route add another 2-7 years depending on degree.  That means people spend 13-20 years being taught by teachers.  I just want to know why teachers are paid such a small salary.

I'm not arguing.... The whole argument strikes me the same as the "$15 for McDonald's workers" argument.  

Some people get a finance degree and chase big money.  Some people stick it out through medical school and do very well for themselves. Some guys just get a 2 year cert and hire in at one of the plants and make some pretty decent money.  

And some people pursue a liberal arts degree because it IS the easiest path (well, except maybe kinesiology) to a bachelors degree.  They say things like "money isn't everything..." when choosing their path, but then become disenchanted when they see their counterparts who chose more challenging educational and career paths reaping the rewards of their hard work.  That's the trade-off.  Young women want to teach and expect to use their salary to complement their husband's salary and comfortably raise a family.  That same woman as a divorcee struggling to raise two kids suddenly realizes that she's sold herself short by becoming an educator.  

Teachers as a whole greatly overestimate the value of their profession.  I've said that over and over, and my opinion hasn't changed.  There are many, many ways to make a lot of money.  Teaching isn't one of them. It's great way to work inside, earn a pension, have weekends off, be home with your family every night, have little to no personal danger to face on a daily basis, etc..... but you're not going to make a lot of money.   

The other part is this.  Johnny Punchclock goes to work every day and if he's unsatisfied he can hit his employer up for a raise or take his talents elsewhere.  Either way, it's not my problem.  When teachers start crying about needing more money, they're actually crying to the people who will ultimately be paying those salaries through increased taxes.  Administration is bloated and those salaries are too high.  

Teachers should NEVER compare their salaries to those of people who work 12 months out of a year with a few paid Holidays and two weeks of vacation.  It's apples and oranges.  

A teacher with a $40,000 dollar salary who works a 187 day schedule comes to...  ($40,000/187 days=$214/day.... $214/8 hour days=$27/hour)... which isn't too shabby.

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I'm not arguing.... The whole argument strikes me the same as the "$15 for McDonald's workers" argument.  

Some people get a finance degree and chase big money.  Some people stick it out through medical school and do very well for themselves. Some guys just get a 2 year cert and hire in at one of the plants and make some pretty decent money.  

And some people pursue a liberal arts degree because it IS the easiest path (well, except maybe kinesiology) to a bachelors degree.  They say things like "money isn't everything..." when choosing their path, but then become disenchanted when they see their counterparts who chose more challenging educational and career paths reaping the rewards of their hard work.  That's the trade-off.  Young women want to teach and expect to use their salary to complement their husband's salary and comfortably raise a family.  That same woman as a divorcee struggling to raise two kids suddenly realizes that she's sold herself short by becoming an educator.  

Teachers as a whole greatly overestimate the value of their profession.  I've said that over and over, and my opinion hasn't changed.  There are many, many ways to make a lot of money.  Teaching isn't one of them. It's great way to work inside, earn a pension, have weekends off, be home with your family every night, have little to no personal danger to face on a daily basis, etc..... but you're not going to make a lot of money.   

The other part is this.  Johnny Punchclock goes to work every day and if he's unsatisfied he can hit his employer up for a raise or take his talents elsewhere.  Either way, it's not my problem.  When teachers start crying about needing more money, they're actually crying to the people who will ultimately be paying those salaries through increased taxes.  Administration is bloated and those salaries are too high.  

Teachers should NEVER compare their salaries to those of people who work 12 months out of a year with a few paid Holidays and two weeks of vacation.  It's apples and oranges.  

A teacher with a $40,000 dollar salary who works a 187 day schedule comes to...  ($40,000/187 days=$214/day.... $214/8 hour days=$27/hour)... which isn't too shabby.

1 hour ago, Eagleborn1 said:

Teachers know what they are getting into when they become one. Same with coaches. Have seen some former coaches try to sue the school for back pay. Lol. Sit down with that. You CHOSE to be a teacher/coach. Want to make more more? Chose a different profession. 

Elitist Attitude.   Nobody has to agree with me.   It’s my opinion of your attitude towards teachers/coaches.  Basically in interpreting your views..... the teaching profession is a sub par occupation.

21 minutes ago, oldman said:

Elitist Attitude.   Nobody has to agree with me.   It’s my opinion of your attitude towards teachers/coaches.  Basically in interpreting your views..... the teaching profession is a sub par occupation.

It is, and it always has been. Teachers have always struggled... since Biblical times. 
If you need the services of a doctor, you’ll pay them whatever they’re worth. Need a house built? You’ll go into debt to have that person build you a home. Other than the most wealthy among us, very few people would willingly PAY for educations for our kids. That’s a fact. 
If there weren’t school districts existing on money forcibly taken from property owners, teachers would starve. That’s also a fact. 
Who should make more $$$ at a car lot- the guy selling 35 units a month or the guy that washes the cars off? 
Every few years Congress will give themselves a big fat raise. We all sit around and say “that’s a bunch of crap... they knew what the job paid before they ever signed up to run for office.  Same difference. 
Like I said earlier... they gave teachers a $5k bump this year and nothing changed. Salaries aren’t the problem. Teaching is still the best part-time job that there is. 

8 hours ago, TheOutsider said:

A big part in the decline of people going to school for teaching is because people are going to school and getting lets say a Finance degree or any other degree.  Then going through an alternative certification program which it not hard at all and you have your degree to fall back on if teaching isn't for you anymore.  

Maybe true.. but even though people are just getting random degrees then becoming certified through alternative plans, there are still significant shortages every year all across the state.  People aren’t even becoming teachers and then falling back on their degree.. They’re skipping becoming a teacher altogether and teachers that have been so for years are leaving the profession in mass numbers.

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

It is, and it always has been. Teachers have always struggled... since Biblical times. 
If you need the services of a doctor, you’ll pay them whatever they’re worth. Need a house built? You’ll go into debt to have that person build you a home. Other than the most wealthy among us, very few people would willingly PAY for educations for our kids. That’s a fact. 
If there weren’t school districts existing on money forcibly taken from property owners, teachers would starve. That’s also a fact. 
Who should make more $$$ at a car lot- the guy selling 35 units a month or the guy that washes the cars off? 
Every few years Congress will give themselves a big fat raise. We all sit around and say “that’s a bunch of crap... they knew what the job paid before they ever signed up to run for office.  Same difference. 
Like I said earlier... they gave teachers a $5k bump this year and nothing changed. Salaries aren’t the problem. Teaching is still the best part-time job that there is. 

Agree to disagree..... 

27 minutes ago, oldman said:

Agree to disagree..... 

Agreed!

FWIW, I went back to get certified to teach and gave up 9 hours short. I did the math and realized that I’d have to coach, drive a bus, and still work a shutdown/turnaround in the summer to live the way I wanted to. 

While I’m not very sympathetic regarding pay issues, I’m very sympathetic to the struggle that teachers face every day. You couldn’t pay me enough to deal with that garbage. 

3 hours ago, oldman said:

Lol. Ok. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion. Whether they assume or not.  Carry on bud. 

20 hours ago, Football Freak said:

Hit the nail on the head. Lots of teachers in my family. 

Also, I might add, the common belief that teachers or coaches are off-work when the kids aren't in school is way off base. The state keeps adding more and more and more paperwork, trainings, etc. There are enough mandatory trainings now that the state apparently expects teachers to also be doctors, lawyers, psychiatrists, etc.  One thing that is difficult to gauge is how long a teacher should work to earn that salary. A lot of administrators don't hold the teachers very accountable, so it would be easy to treat it like a 9 to 5 (or 8 to 4) job. But a good teacher - let alone a good coach - puts in a lot more than that. You would NOT want to pay them hourly. The insurance is bad but, combined with salaries rarely making a real jump (this year was an exception) teachers in this area in particular have no real raise in take-home pay more often than not.

Why does discipline stink? Mommies that don't believe Johnny's crap stinks. Administrators that don't want to deal with mommy. AND..... the state has begun to decide what is an acceptable discipline rate. Not sure now, but at one point they were essentially giving quotas that you can only have a certain number of kids disciplined in in-school-suspension or otherwise. So are you gonna send a kid for screaming obscenities in the hall? Or do you save that spot for a kid that vapes in the bathroom? Or threatens a teacher? Plus some kids are deemed not responsible for their actions due to disabilities and such - regardless of what it does to teachers and students.

Academically - the state is currently judging progress more by whether the kids are graduating than anything. So a kid that doesn't get a diploma means the school failed. Doesn't matter whether Johnny can spell or if Johnny simply refuses to learn how to spell. Standardized testing should prevent that - except they keep adding loopholes around that also. 

Additionally, the politics can be insane. There are very few schools that do anything like merit pay to begin with and the internal politics mean that might be irrelevant anyway. Also goes for discipline. Some kids get hammered for certain things. Other kids walk for the same reason. Sometimes simply because the people in charge like that kid.

So, to recap, beyond low salary (combined with insane insurance hikes), no discipline, low academic standards, expanded school year and out of school time requirements, politics and more. Gee, why might there be a shortage of teachers? The crazy thing is the state talks about being concerned about teacher shortages, yet they are making the job more difficult and unpleasant. A lot of coaches are flocking to the refineries - not because they don't enjoy coaching and the kids, but because the situation is so much better.

Most parents, I believe, are good parents that want the best for their kids and all the kids. I don't think they realize how messed up things are. The bottom of the barrel parents and kids are ruining it for everyone. Things will get better when the good parents realize the corrosion of standards are hurting everyone and they start demanding that their kids be taken more into account than the bad ones.