Aledo’s secret?

OneChance

How does Aledo continue to win state championships year after year at the 5A level? What is their secret? How come teams around the state of Texas aren’t copying whatever they are doing?

Newton and WOS have had their fair share of runs, but even they have come somewhat back to reality, I get that every once and a while you get a group of great athletes to come through, but dang what is it 7 or 8 State Championships in 10 years? 

Teams are only as good as the talent that is in the area, I get some will probably say recruiting, but to me the run is super impressive. 

One thing I have been saying on this board Is Facilities. If you have top notch facilities they(athletes) will come. If your town and school district bless the school district with $$$$ and build indoor practice building, great stadium, great work out rooms, top of the line workout room, with a nice new school the athletes will come... 

I know I will get judged by what I said above, but truth hurts. SETX is behind times outside of BH.. PA is closing the gap with the new edition of Turf practice facility at their High school/ PNG was suppose to build a indoor facility but not sure what happened to that...  but over all SETX is behind in times... 

42 minutes ago, OneChance said:

How does Aledo continue to win state championships year after year at the 5A level? What is their secret? How come teams around the state of Texas aren’t copying whatever they are doing?

Newton and WOS have had their fair share of runs, but even they have come somewhat back to reality, I get that every once and a while you get a group of great athletes to come through, but dang what is it 7 or 8 State Championships in 10 years? 

Teams are only as good as the talent that is in the area, I get some will probably say recruiting, but to me the run is super impressive. 

Have you ever drove through Aledo? There’s nothing there. 

22 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

One thing I have been saying on this board Is Facilities. If you have top notch facilities they(athletes) will come. If your town and school district bless the school district with $$$$ and build indoor practice building, great stadium, great work out rooms, top of the line workout room, with a nice new school the athletes will come... 

I know I will get judged by what I said above, but truth hurts. SETX is behind times outside of BH.. PA is closing the gap with the new edition of Turf practice facility at their High school/ PNG was suppose to build a indoor facility but not sure what happened to that...  but over all SETX is behind in times... 

1.)  This is recruiting.. it's recruiting without having to recruit.  Yes, money plays a huge role.  First class facilities brings them in and wealthy families provide the kids with everything needed.

2.)  You are 100% going to get judged for this.  Several years ago I made this same argument and was blasted on this site.  Back when WOS couldn't get past Carthage and I brought up the difference between having a 100 yard indoor practice field and riding a school bus to the state championship game.  For the most part, people (SETX) refuse to believe that "what my grandaddy had" isn't good enough anymore.

5 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

1.)  This is recruiting.. it's recruiting without having to recruit.  Yes, money plays a huge role.  First class facilities brings them in and wealthy families provide the kids with everything needed.

2.)  You are 100% going to get judged for this.  Several years ago I made this same argument and was blasted on this site.  Back when WOS couldn't get past Carthage and I brought up the difference between having a 100 yard indoor practice field and riding a school bus to the state championship game.  For the most part, people (SETX) refuse to believe that "what my grandaddy had" isn't good enough anymore.

Like I said build it and they will come...(recruiting without having too) just show them what you got. I vaguely remember having that debate with people and I was saying then, SETX behind times in facilities. Safe to say they still are to this day. Plenty of homegrown SETX talent leaving for greener pastures and starting for big name programs. 

2 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

Like I said build it and they will come...(recruiting without having too) just show them what you got. I vaguely remember having that debate with people and I was saying then, SETX behind times in facilities. Safe to say they still are to this day. Plenty of homegrown SETX talent leaving for greener pastures and starting for big name programs. 

People will say it's because of money.. maybe so.. but there are also poor town around the state that are just making school/athletics more of a priority somehow.  I'll say this, it's slowly catching fire.  There are more and more schools around setx updating/replacing those old worn down facilities with nicer stuff.  

9 minutes ago, Aledoalumni said:

Consistency. 

This is the hidden content, please

We've all seen that.  A lot of schools have that level of consistency (other than winning state titles).  There's something else... You think Aledo has a higher level of consistency than Calallen High School... who's been under the leadership of Phil Danaher since what...1984?  Even Cornel Thompson at WOS has been there forever.  What exactly are you talking about when you say consistency?

Guest Aledoalumni
20 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

We've all seen that.  A lot of schools have that level of consistency (other than winning state titles).  There's something else... You think Aledo has a higher level of consistency than Calallen High School... who's been under the leadership of Phil Danaher since what...1984?  Even Cornel Thompson at WOS has been there forever.  What exactly are you talking about when you say consistency?

If you look at our playoff history we keep building. Starting when Coach Buc came in he built the program from the ground up. All the coaches at every level are on the same page. Its a standard and culture that has been accepted by the community. Aledo is ultra competitive from peewee on. It took us some time but we have learned how to win big games and all the extra weeks of practice have paid off. If you take this senior class they have practiced an extra 24 weeks. Thats almost two and a half seasons. But even before 2009 we were knocking on the door. Semifinal appearances in '04, '06, '07 were just as important as the long runs these days. The culture we have and the winning has no doubt attracted families that want their kid(s) to be apart of it. Our coaches dont recruit but our name does. We have kids transfer out because they cant start or play for Aledo. I dont like it but I cant judge parents trying to do what they think is best for their kid. We run a very simple defense but the kids have high motors and are assignment sound. We are also a byproduct of our location. Many families move to Aledo because their parents work in Fort Worth but our school system is head and shoulders above them. Most years we are in region 1 and get to play west Texas teams and that is an easier playoff path(generally) than a region 2 path. We have a lot of people that work hard to uphold the standard that has been set. 

State Champions: '98 '09 '10 '11 '13 '14 '16 '18
State Finalist: '74 '17 '19
Semi-finalist: '72 '97 '04 '06 '07 '15
Quarter-finalist: '96 '99 '02 '03 '05
Regional Finalist: '67 '68 '70 '77 '00 '01
Area Finalist: '08 '12
Bi-District Finalist: '62 '71 '73 '76 '81 '87 '88

1 hour ago, Aledoalumni said:

If you look at our playoff history we keep building. Starting when Coach Buc came in he built the program from the ground up. All the coaches at every level are on the same page. Its a standard and culture that has been accepted by the community. Aledo is ultra competitive from peewee on. It took us some time but we have learned how to win big games and all the extra weeks of practice have paid off. If you take this senior class they have practiced an extra 24 weeks. Thats almost two and a half seasons. But even before 2009 we were knocking on the door. Semifinal appearances in '04, '06, '07 were just as important as the long runs these days. The culture we have and the winning has no doubt attracted families that want their kid(s) to be apart of it. Our coaches dont recruit but our name does. We have kids transfer out because they cant start or play for Aledo. I dont like it but I cant judge parents trying to do what they think is best for their kid. We run a very simple defense but the kids have high motors and are assignment sound. We are also a byproduct of our location. Many families move to Aledo because their parents work in Fort Worth but our school system is head and shoulders above them. Most years we are in region 1 and get to play west Texas teams and that is an easier playoff path(generally) than a region 2 path. We have a lot of people that work hard to uphold the standard that has been set. 

I think there is a lot to be said for programs that are making these deep runs in the playoffs.  The staff and the kids get way more football time. 5 extra games a year for Aledo plus all the practice time.  But that is a massive percentage above regular programs. 

And Aledo just has to be attractive to 2-3 areas around them and then they could be pulling talent from a comparable large 6A talent pool.

Guest Aledoalumni
7 minutes ago, texbuzz said:

I think there is a lot to be said for programs that are making these deep runs in the playoffs.  The staff and the kids get way more football time. 5 extra games a year for Aledo plus all the practice time.  But that is a massive percentage above regular programs. 

And Aledo just has to be attractive to 2-3 areas around them and then they could be pulling talent from a comparable large 6A talent pool.

All that experience and extra practice time carries over. If you compare us to all our district mates its not even close. 

17 minutes ago, Aledoalumni said:

All that experience and extra practice time carries over. If you compare us to all our district mates its not even close. 

Is there a uil rule that once you lose or don’t make playoffs you have to stop practicing. Could theoretically a school have kept practicing with Jv and Freshmen till the state championship games and got that extra work? I know many go to basketball etc just thinking if you are a struggling/rebuilding program this could help develop for the next year. 

Guest Aledoalumni
2 minutes ago, Blockdownandkickout! said:

Is there a uil rule that once you lose or don’t make playoffs you have to stop practicing. Could theoretically a school have kept practicing with Jv and Freshmen till the state championship games and got that extra work? I know many go to basketball etc just thinking if you are a struggling/rebuilding program this could help develop for the next year. 

Once the varsity is done then the jv and freshman are done. 

13 minutes ago, Blockdownandkickout! said:

Right but is that a actual rule or just how it’s always been done.

Sec. 1250 (k): No member school shall play any football game, practice or scrimmage with another high school after the close of its season. The penalty for violation of this rule shall be assessed by the State Executive Committee.

3 hours ago, Aledoalumni said:

Very impressive 

2 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Sec. 1250 (k): No member school shall play any football game, practice or scrimmage with another high school after the close of its season. The penalty for violation of this rule shall be assessed by the State Executive Committee.

So you could practice against yourself Monday through Thursday and scrimmage yourself on Friday until the state championship game if you wanted to. 

21 minutes ago, Blockdownandkickout! said:

So you could practice against yourself Monday through Thursday and scrimmage yourself on Friday until the state championship game if you wanted to. 

No.  But if you insist on doing so, let the football coach of the school you support in on your interpretation of the section I quoted.

Let us know how it turns out.

1 hour ago, TradenupBH said:

Y'all forgot to put have affordable housing. BH has it all for facilities, but housing is an issue. Really two small apartment complexes and new homes start at $340k. If they ever figure out affordable housing, Houston area 5a look out.

I don’t think the good people of Mont Belvieu want affordable housing in the school district.  Seems to me that they’re content with that being Dayton’ thing.

I had never seen the video until today, very impressive to see the AD supporting every sport in the school and to know every kid and how they are performing plus getting to know all the old heads around town on a personal level. He has taken a lot of time outside of football to get to know the community. Called going above and beyond. 

Guest Aledoalumni
4 minutes ago, OneChance said:

I had never seen the video until today, very impressive to see the AD supporting every sport in the school and to know every kid and how they are performing plus getting to know all the old heads around town on a personal level. He has taken a lot of time outside of football to get to know the community. Called going above and beyond. 

If you've never seen that series go and watch it from the beginning. Yeah I'm bias but its fantastic. Its season 1 on amazon prime called title town. Really is a good look at Aledo and what we stand for. 

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

I don’t think the good people of Mont Belvieu want affordable housing in the school district.  Seems to me that they’re content with that being Dayton’ thing.

You ought to see the new state of the art weight room. It's insane. Coach Westerberg put a pic on his Twitter. 13,000 sq ft, 90 station workout faculty, monitors, the whole 9 yards. Doing it up right.

1 hour ago, WOSgrad said:

No.  But if you insist on doing so, let the football coach of the school you support in on your interpretation of the section I quoted.

Let us know how it turns out.

If you move up all your underclass teams and your Varsity is still in the playoffs you have the right to practice them how you please and from what I was told is they work with them separate so come next season there ahead of most because of what the presents team success has going on. It allows them 1 to 6 weeks of practice more for there younger players and turned around a few months later and there in spring football.