Worst rule in the nfl

Defensive holding being an automatic 1st down.  I hate this rule!!! It could be 3rd and 7, 4th and 30 or any other down and distance. 
“defensive holding, 5 yard penalty, automatic 1st down”

Why? Why is a 5 yard penalty an automatic 1st? Why is defensive holding a game changing penalty but offensive holding is not? 

To be fair offensive holding should be an automatic 4th down.  

Cant stand the rule. My rant is over. Let me know what you think.

On 12/15/2019 at 3:38 PM, Ty Cobb said:

Defensive holding being an automatic 1st down.  I hate this rule!!! It could be 3rd and 7, 4th and 30 or any other down and distance. 
“defensive holding, 5 yard penalty, automatic 1st down”

Why? Why is a 5 yard penalty an automatic 1st? Why is defensive holding a game changing penalty but offensive holding is not? 

To be fair offensive holding should be an automatic 4th down.  

Cant stand the rule. My rant is over. Let me know what you think.

I think it stems from the fans wanting more offense.... higher scoring games. Back in the day, 10-7 games were the norm. FGs meant something. Drives ending in a FG were cheered. Now it is considered settling. Not sure what the penalty was for defensive holding back in the day. I think defensive holding on a DB should be a spot foul but not an automatic first down, unless the spot gives it to the offense.

I seem to recall that offensive and defensive holding were both 15 yard penalties, which generally would give the offense a first down anyway.

On 12/24/2019 at 6:17 PM, baddog said:

I think defensive holding on a DB should be a spot foul but not an automatic first down, unlessthe spot gives it to the offense.

I seem to recall that offensive and defensive holding were both 15 yard penalties, which generally would give the offense a first down anyway.

I agree with you. I just hate how the “game changing” penalties are defensive related. 
Take pass interference for example. Defensive PI is a spot foul. It could be a 5 yard penalty, a 40 yard penalty or even a 90 yard penalty, and either way it’s a 1st down. That’s a game changer!!!  3rd and long, just throw it up, you may get a PI and a 1st down. 

Offensive PI is simply a 15 yard penalty, that’s it. and the offense gets to replay the down. Why does PI hurt the defensive more than the offense?
How about make offensive PI a spot foul as well. If the offensive PI takes place 30 yards from the line of scrimmage, make it a 30 yard penalty.