Young Coaches Changing The Culture

Mamba

Congrats to Tigee Rideaux (Hamshire-Fannett,8-1)& Coach Micheal Thomas (Temple HS,9-0) .These young coaches have taken over dormant programs and turned them around. It’s crazy how in setx we don’t value our young energetic coaches. One day the administration in BISD will value the energy of young coaches and stop letting them leave the district !!!! Again congrats and stay the course & keep teaching these young men . Because remember NOBODY CARES ,WORK HARDER!!!

On 12/9/2019 at 8:38 AM, DeuceSixSuited said:

Tigee is doing a great job!

He’s certainly justifying my belief in him.  A friend, who has infinitely more knowledge than me, told me he had one of the best basketball minds in the area.  I saw some of it at Lumberton.   Expect nothing but improvement from HF.

6 hours ago, Hagar said:

He’s certainly justifying my belief in him.  A friend, who has infinitely more knowledge than me, told me he had one of the best basketball minds in the area.  I saw some of it at Lumberton.   Expect nothing but improvement from HF.

Maybe for this area  basketball is played and coached at a hole different level in the midwest I watched every Lumberton game last year trust me there was nothing that showed a great basketball ball mind. 

36 minutes ago, STL.22 said:

Maybe for this area  basketball is played and coached at a hole different level in the midwest I watched every Lumberton game last year trust me there was nothing that showed a great basketball ball mind. 

Perhaps you didn’t realize he wasn’t the Head Coach, but only the Assistant, which limited his input.  Plus, Lumberton was definitely not known for being a basketball powerhouse.   The strategy him & Coach Mitchell used got a record 21 wins.  Were they a HJ or a Silsbee, hail no, but relatively speaking, they surprised/impressed most in this area.

Btw, HF record was 3-22 last year.  They’re 11-3 this year.  Does that tell you anything?

I have watched lumberton since Coach Mitchell took the job , they have made tons of strides since he’s been there, he was in a brutal 5a district and they competed with some of the best teams. I think that actually helped his program and kids playing at that  level. Lumberton has made the basketball playoffs  2 times in school history so its a tough job and seems to me they are competing well with what they have!!! Good luck to Coach Rideaux and keep coaching hard.

13 hours ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

I have watched lumberton since Coach Mitchell took the job , they have made tons of strides since he’s been there, he was in a brutal 5a district and they competed with some of the best teams. I think that actually helped his program and kids playing at that  level. Lumberton has made the basketball playoffs  2 times in school history so its a tough job and seems to me they are competing well with what they have!!! Good luck to Coach Rideaux and keep coaching hard.

Amen.  They lost a couple of good players from last year, but had a good nucleus left, and a pretty good JV.   Anticipate them being in contention for a playoff spot again.

4 hours ago, HOOPDR3AMS said:

Heard he made a pretty big impression at the Orangefield Tournament.  Ran some nice plays, kids went hard, super respectful of opponents, officials, and fans.  

Is the last part sarcasm?

I was told by some eyewitnesses at Orangefield tourney that Tigee showed his rear on several occasions.

I was there for multiple games.  I cannot speak to what you had been told, but I was not impressed with his demeanor and leadership of those athletes from Hamshire.  Showing his rear is a nice way to put it.  I would have a very big problem with the example he is setting if my son was playing for him.  

1 hour ago, catfever said:

I was there for multiple games.  I cannot speak to what you had been told, but I was not impressed with his demeanor and leadership of those athletes from Hamshire.  Showing his rear is a nice way to put it.  I would have a very big problem with the example he is setting if my son was playing for him.  

It won't get any better I watched him the entire year coaching jv in Lumberton and on the bench for varsity. Dude has people fooled trust me

1 hour ago, STL.22 said:

It won't get any better I watched him the entire year coaching jv in Lumberton and on the bench for varsity. Dude has people fooled trust me

Even if “it doesn’t get any better”, HF basketball is 11-3 and from what it seems like up close, all of his players love him. It really doesn’t seem like it has to get much better. 

The Orangfield game went into OT, and in front of a predominately Orangefield crowd, Coach Tigee’s passion and excitement might have been misconstrued by the crowd.  My G’son played on the Raiders varsity last year, and his experience with Coach Tigee was very positive throughout the year.  I wouldn’t be to quick to judge someone over the actions in one, very close game in OT, in a hostile environment.  Jmo

10 minutes ago, Hagar said:

The Orangfield game went into OT, and in front of a predominately Orangefield crowd, Coach Tigee’s passion and excitement might have been misconstrued by the crowd.  My G’son played on the Raiders varsity last year, and his experience with Coach Tigee was very positive throughout the year.  I wouldn’t be to quick to judge someone over the actions in one, very close game in OT, in a hostile environment.  Jmo

My info didn't come from fans.

Since there have been some suggestions of impropriety by Coach Tigee, and several of us in the discussion weren’t at the game, I contacted a friend who is a Bobcat fan, and an avid basketball fan (fanatic).  He admitted that Coach Tigee was very passionate, and was “on the Refs”, but in his opinion, the Coach’s animation wasn’t that bad.   I doubt he actually heard what was said, but it’s a rare basketball (any sport) Coach who hasn’t been frustrated by Referees to the point of almost losing it, especially in a tight game as visitors.

And on a side note about officiating.  No doubt there are many good basketball officials who do their best to be as fair as possible, but in my many years of watching sports, I’ve never seen any sport worse than basketball for having some who are blantedly biased, for whatever reason (playing in Cleveland comes to mind).  But since they’re necessary to the game, I’m still glad we have them.

Ive attended 3 HF games and there is nothing ive seen from Tigee as being disrespectful or whatever some of you may believe he is. Just because he isnt your flavor doesn't take away from the fact he loves coaching and loves coaching kids. I see a young coach pouring his heart and soul into a program that was TERRIBLE!!!! The amount of time and energy he has spent trying change years of a losing mentality should be applauded not ridiculed . But thats the society we live in which is truly sad. Understand Lumberton was competitive but thats the mindset some of you like oh we played hard thats good enough , but dude wants to win period. So if ruffling some feathers in themprocess achieves the end goal then so be it. Ask any head coach they are only as good as their assistants so if your assistants are lazy you wont win, hence I guess he did make a difference and Lumberton made the playoffs. Also lets talk about these refs who are suppose to be unbiased but become emotionally involved when their judgement is questioned that says to me you never want to be wrong take your emotions out nobody pays to come see you ref. So say what you heard from your own ears not what someone else told you (ill be waiting). 

This tread was started to be positive but some of you love spewing negativity.

TOXIC TONGUES ALWAYS GOT OPINIONS!!!!

Here is what I heard and saw since that is what is being questioned.  He subbed a player in the game.  That player missed a three pointer on that very next possession.  He immediately took the player out and yelled "I put you in to make a three.  You can't even get that right."  That is a lot of pressure for a teenage kid to have on his shoulders and then be ridiculed in front of a bleacher full of parents and other students.  Also, it is easy for those players, and parents, to take that criticism when the team is winning, but if losing happens and the attitude remains the same, you will see a different response.   Referees make mistakes no doubt.  That pair of officials was definitely not good.  They were not good for either side though.  He made it more about how bad the officials were instead of coaching and modelling for his kids how to deal with adversity.  Since Mamba wanted to know what I heard from my own ears and saw with my own eyes, I thought I would elaborate.  I will leave it here though.  No more negativity.   

38 minutes ago, catfever said:

Here is what I heard and saw since that is what is being questioned.  He subbed a player in the game.  That player missed a three pointer on that very next possession.  He immediately took the player out and yelled "I put you in to make a three.  You can't even get that right."  That is a lot of pressure for a teenage kid to have on his shoulders and then be ridiculed in front of a bleacher full of parents and other students.  Also, it is easy for those players, and parents, to take that criticism when the team is winning, but if losing happens and the attitude remains the same, you will see a different response.   Referees make mistakes no doubt.  That pair of officials was definitely not good.  They were not good for either side though.  He made it more about how bad the officials were instead of coaching and modelling for his kids how to deal with adversity.  Since Mamba wanted to know what I heard from my own ears and saw with my own eyes, I thought I would elaborate.  I will leave it here though.  No more negativity.   

I don’t Know whether to laugh or take you seriously . Is this what it has come to!!! God forbid he goes to college and his coach does this omg fire the coach it’s too much pressure on this kid. Oh wait how about the amount of pressure on kids to pass the sat or act ,his exit exams, his test to get into Motiva ,the police academy. REMEMBER KIDS YOU HAVE ONE JOB!!! And all the kid had to do was one job and make a 3 yep that’s a lot of pressure buddy on kid a who signed up to play the sport of basketball. I guess life really is a bunch of days !!!!