Hull-Daisetta Bobcat Football Coaching Staff

Does Hull-Daisetta need a breath of fresh air, in regard to it's football coaching staff?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should HD make changes to the football coaching staff?

• Yes
    • No

On 12/7/2019 at 10:49 PM, HD94 said:

Me saying current HC/AD is saying this wasn't a permanent thing and Hodges will return as head coach.  Almost no small school has an AD that's not the HC also, and HD never has.  He was hired to be AD/HC, in fact hired for football specifically.  Again my point is if he knew he couldn't or wouldn't fulfil his obligation he should have stepped aside at the end of last school year to give the the school the opportunity to bring in a head coach for football.  It's ok if we don't agree on that, but that doesn't make our opinion ignorant.  I also disagree with coaching didn't impact the outcome of the games.  Again I am not saying we would have necessarily won more games, just that we could've competed better in games.  

I know I explained this earlier and will again.  Shortly after stepping down, Coach Hodges reached out to me to explain the steps that lead to his stepping down and turning overt the reigns to Coach Wallace.  Again, it was a divorced father who had wanted to see his only son play his final year of football.  He had hoped that final year would be at H-D, which is why he waited until it was settled that his son would play his senior year elsewhere.  He was still around the team during the week, but the position allowed him to get away on Friday and see his son play. 

Was it foolish of Coach Hodges to hold out hope until so late in the game?  Maybe.  But then I could never understand the circumstances.  I have no children of my own and I grew up  is a household with parents who have now been married for over 50 years. 

As to Coach Wallace, I think you are underestimating his skills, he had been Coach Hodges' right hand man since he got there and possesses plenty of football knowledge.  Simply because the Bobcats had a less then successful year doesn't mean that Coach Wallace was not qualified for the job.

You are entitled to your opinion but I would point out that over the last several years, Hull-Daisetta has run off a number of decent coaches.  You don't want to gain a reputation like the one you are earning by starting a topic like this.

On 12/6/2019 at 10:56 AM, JohnRuthDomergue said:

Most know HD went through a historic, record breaking, terribly embarrassing season. The head coach chose to step down from his duties, to pursue a solely Athletic Director position, all right before the 1st game of the season... The HC handed the reins over to his defensive coordinator and then it began... Yes, HD was in one of the toughest Districts in Texas, yes the team is very young, starting many freshman this season. The straw that broke the camel's back,  was HD getting blown out by teams of similar size and talent, in West Hardin, Deweyville and West Sabine. Frankly it appeared the team was not prepared and not set up for success. One thing the community is in agreeance on in moving forward, is the new HDISD Superintendent has high expectations and will hold people accountable.  The culture at HD is under attack and some adjustments must be made... Yes, HD will more than likely go back to their historical D-2 status, were they will compete better, but let's not lose sight of the need to improve and upgrade when needed.  I'm sure the applicant line will be long, to have a chance at rejuvenating the once dominant program. 

HD won "one" district game last year as opposed to "none" this year. HD "power" potential extends no farther than Sabine Pass, WH, Burkeville, etc. HD will compete nowhere beyond the local bottom feeder circuit regardless of classification. This has not changed in the past several decades.

In regards to the coaching, HD should count themselves fortunate that they have a warm body to place in the position. Should Bill Belichick take the position, HD would see no quantifiable change in results. 

38 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

I know I explained this earlier and will again.  Shortly after stepping down, Coach Hodges reached out to me to explain the steps that lead to his stepping down and turning overt the reigns to Coach Wallace.  Again, it was a divorced father who had wanted to see his only son play his final year of football.  He had hoped that final year would be at H-D, which is why he waited until it was settled that his son would play his senior year elsewhere.  He was still around the team during the week, but the position allowed him to get away on Friday and see his son play. 

Was it foolish of Coach Hodges to hold out hope until so late in the game?  Maybe.  But then I could never understand the circumstances.  I have no children of my own and I grew up  is a household with parents who have now been married for over 50 years. 

As to Coach Wallace, I think you are underestimating his skills, he had been Coach Hodges' right hand man since he got there and possesses plenty of football knowledge.  Simply because the Bobcats had a less then successful year doesn't mean that Coach Wallace was not qualified for the job.

You are entitled to your opinion but I would point out that over the last several years, Hull-Daisetta has run off a number of decent coaches.  You don't want to gain a reputation like the one you are earning by starting a topic like this.

Who were these coaches run off in the last several years?  My whole point is a disservice was done to the students and it looks like no one will be held responsible.  As adults we have to make tough decisions, the decision should of been made in a timely manner to which HD would have had a head coach on the sidelines Friday nights, not handed down the day before practice began.

28 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

HD won "one" district game last year as opposed to "none" this year. HD "power" potential extends no farther than Sabine Pass, WH, Burkeville, etc. HD will compete nowhere beyond the local bottom feeder circuit regardless of classification. This has not changed in the past several decades.

In regards to the coaching, HD should count themselves fortunate that they have a warm body to place in the position. Should Bill Belichick take the position, HD would see no quantifiable change in results. 

I know you hate HD and have nothing good to say for us, but if that position of AD/HC was opened there would be plenty of candidates.

2 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

For the record, HD has only had 3 coaches since 2007, Slack, Finney and Hodges. And Finney left on his own, Hodges is still here. Not sure where you got the “HD has ran off a number of decent coaches”... As far as this topic, I respect Hodges, he was my high school football  coach, I respect Wallace, he is well liked by the athletes, both are good men. As far as the bad season, yes it has to be fixed, yes part of being professional is to be held accountable. Both coaches are knowledgeable, and both will be successful in the future, the issue is where the HD culture currently sits... It’s the whole ball of wax people have to look at, HD is at a fork in the road, it could possibly take some major changes and moves, to fix... The good news is HD has some very talented young JH kids, that dominated the competition,  just a few seasons ago, they were freshman this year. Bad news is HD’s football participation is declining at a rapid pace. The last Coach to come in and have a surging impact on participation was Finney, we need that fire and energy again. I support whatever is best for the student athletes and my school, as I am a 5th generation Bobcat. HD Nation! 

P.S. I can see JohnRuth’s perspective. 

10 hours ago, 2wedge said:

And by decent, you are saying they won their first round game, then lost a heartbreaker in round 2. Having said that, only two teams per district made the playoffs back then so sit was much harder to win playoff games.

I thought it was third round against Franklin maybe it was second round but has HD ever made it past first round since '98.  

15 hours ago, workbootz said:

I thought it was third round against Franklin maybe it was second round but has HD ever made it past first round since '98.  

It was the second round, and no, they haven't been past the first round since 1998. They had a jam up group of kids come through in the mid 2000s who lost some heartbreakers in the first round. The first year they dropped to old 1A, they should've made a run then but it didn't happen.

1 hour ago, 2wedge said:

It was the second round, and no, they haven't been past the first round since 1998. They had a jam up group of kids come through in the mid 2000s who lost some heartbreakers in the first round. The first year they dropped to old 1A, they should've made a run then but it didn't happen.

Actually for the past several decades, they were not supposed to make runs, only compete with WH, DV, Burkeville, and Sabine Pass. This is also the forecast for the next several decades.

Under certain circumstances and with "masterclass" coaching they may be able defeat all of said bottom feeders on a given year.  With a little help from UIL they may be able to recreate a district comprised of the bottom feeders and in such a case they may be able to "make the playoffs" and take a beating in the first round.

2 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Actually for the past several decades, they were not supposed to make runs, only compete with WH, DV, Burkeville, and Sabine Pass. This is also the forecast for the next several decades.

Under certain circumstances and with "masterclass" coaching they may be able defeat all of said bottom feeders on a given year.  With a little help from UIL they may be able to recreate a district comprised of the bottom feeders and in such a case they may be able to "make the playoffs" and take a beating in the first round.

If you go several decades you could add Warren, New Waverly, Hardin, Evadale,and East Chambers to the list we competed with and in most cases dominated, but I can't argue about the 1st round loss.  To say we competed with only 4 schools shows either your disrespect or your ignorance, I will let you choose.  Don't think for one minute coaching isn't important here.  Finney with the same number of students had a varsity and a jv.  While we did lose in the first round it was 2 very good games against Alto.  Now we only field a varsity and there isn't the same excitement in the stands.  It seems to go down year after year.  

3 hours ago, HD94 said:

If you go several decades you could add Warren, New Waverly, Hardin, Evadale,and East Chambers to the list we competed with and in most cases dominated, but I can't argue about the 1st round loss.  To say we competed with only 4 schools shows either your disrespect or your ignorance, I will let you choose.  Don't think for one minute coaching isn't important here.  Finney with the same number of students had a varsity and a jv.  While we did lose in the first round it was 2 very good games against Alto.  Now we only field a varsity and there isn't the same excitement in the stands.  It seems to go down year after year.  

Not to butt in to y’all’s conversation..but according to maxpreps.  Dating back to 04 HD is

2004 3-8, 2005 4-6, 2006 7-4, 2007 7-4, 2008 7-3, 2009 5-6, 2010 5-6, 2011 4-6, 2012 7-4, 2013 4-7, 2014 4-6, 2015 2-8, 2016 7-4, 2017 4-7, 2018 5-5, 2019 2-7

Since 2004 that’s 73-87 (Pretty sure) with a large majority of those wins coming against West Hardin, Sabine Pass, Chester, High Island, or Burkeville.  Sorry.. but it is what it is.

15 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Not to butt in to y’all’s conversation..but according to maxpreps.  Dating back to 04 HD is

2004 3-8, 2005 4-6, 2006 7-4, 2007 7-4, 2008 7-3, 2009 5-6, 2010 5-6, 2011 4-6, 2012 7-4, 2013 4-7, 2014 4-6, 2015 2-8, 2016 7-4, 2017 4-7, 2018 5-5, 2019 2-7

Since 2004 that’s 73-87 (Pretty sure) with a large majority of those wins coming against West Hardin, Sabine Pass, Chester, High Island, or Burkeville.  Sorry.. but it is what it is.

No argument there, but 2004 to present would be 15 yrs.  He said several decades, just calling out the details. Lol.  It's an off topic point anyways.  I think I have said my piece on the topic so I am not commenting any more here, it's just hard to let some of 89Falcons trash go by.

4 minutes ago, HD94 said:

No argument there, but 2004 to present would be 15 yrs.  He said several decades, just calling out the details. Lol.  It's an off topic point anyways.  I think I have said my piece on the topic so I am not commenting any more here, it's just hard to let some of 89Falcons trash go by.

89 Falcon speaks the truth, and that’s the problem with society in general...no one wants to hear the truth 

7 minutes ago, HD94 said:

04 is as far back as it goes so I can’t say either way.  I’m sure there were some decent (relative) teams in the past when the population was a little higher.  No doubt HD had success back during the oil boom but I’ve heard the town has been slowly dying for a while.

2 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

04 is as far back as it goes so I can’t say either way.  I’m sure there were some decent (relative) teams in the past when the population was a little higher.  No doubt HD had success back during the oil boom but I’ve heard the town has been slowly dying for a while.

Seriously my last comment, we could use an economic steroid shot.  It's heart breaking to watch.

9 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

Make no mistake Daisetta is not the only little town in Texas that’s slowly dying

Precisely. Most small town schools in East Texas have dealt with this phenomena. There are very few that have current enrollments on par with enrollments 10-20 years ago. Some have maintained their competitive edge (SA, Newton, WOS) while others such as "HD" have not been competitive and rely upon "enrollment" and "economics" as a primary excuse for failure that existed prior to the recent socio-economic decline.