Hull-Daisetta Bobcat Football Coaching Staff

Does Hull-Daisetta need a breath of fresh air, in regard to it's football coaching staff?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should HD make changes to the football coaching staff?

• Yes
    • No

Most know HD went through a historic, record breaking, terribly embarrassing season. The head coach chose to step down from his duties, to pursue a solely Athletic Director position, all right before the 1st game of the season... The HC handed the reins over to his defensive coordinator and then it began... Yes, HD was in one of the toughest Districts in Texas, yes the team is very young, starting many freshman this season. The straw that broke the camel's back,  was HD getting blown out by teams of similar size and talent, in West Hardin, Deweyville and West Sabine. Frankly it appeared the team was not prepared and not set up for success. One thing the community is in agreeance on in moving forward, is the new HDISD Superintendent has high expectations and will hold people accountable.  The culture at HD is under attack and some adjustments must be made... Yes, HD will more than likely go back to their historical D-2 status, were they will compete better, but let's not lose sight of the need to improve and upgrade when needed.  I'm sure the applicant line will be long, to have a chance at rejuvenating the once dominant program. 

23 minutes ago, JohnRuthDomergue said:

Most know HD went through a historic, record breaking, terribly embarrassing season. The head coach chose to step down from his duties, to pursue a solely Athletic Director position, all right before the 1st game of the season... The HC handed the reins over to his defensive coordinator and then it began... Yes, HD was in one of the toughest Districts in Texas, yes the team is very young, starting many freshman this season. The straw that broke the camel's back,  was HD getting blown out by teams of similar size and talent, in West Hardin, Deweyville and West Sabine. Frankly it appeared the team was not prepared and not set up for success. One thing the community is in agreeance on in moving forward, is the new HDISD Superintendent has high expectations and will hold people accountable.  The culture at HD is under attack and some adjustments must be made... Yes, HD will more than likely go back to their historical D-2 status, were they will compete better, but let's not lose sight of the need to improve and upgrade when needed.  I'm sure the applicant line will be long, to have a chance at rejuvenating the once dominant program. 

In all honesty, y'all were just young in a tough district. And Hodges stepping down hurt because of timing too. But y'all will be better talent wise the next 2-3 years, and you'll be down in a better district. 

Is this post suggesting Hodges will not be back as the head FB coach next year? I thought he only stepped down to attend his sons senior year games in Clear Lake, and he would be back in the position? If he won't be back as HC, surely he will move on rather than try to have a stand alone AD at a 2A school.

8 hours ago, JohnRuthDomergue said:

The head coach stepped down for the last chance to watch his senior son play football, who attended a different school.  From what I’ve heard it wasn’t permanent. Regardless, HD would’ve sucked no matter who was calling the shots because they were a young team in a tough district.  Your ignorance is staggering.

8 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

When the last time HD had an actual good playoff run?

Back when TJ Walker was RB?? 

I think I read one time that HD has only won two playoff games (total) since their state title back in..?  70’s?.. So to answer your question, the SC year was their last good playoff run.

13 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

The head coach stepped down for the last chance to watch his senior son play football, who attended a different school.  From what I’ve heard it wasn’t permanent. Regardless, HD would’ve sucked no matter who was calling the shots because they were a young team in a tough district.  Your ignorance is staggering.

Why say he is ignorant?  We all expected to lose games this year, but not in the manner in which they lost.  Players did not look like they were in a position to be successful against comparable talent. As far as the coach, his son did not become a senior over night.  If he wanted to watch him instead of coach, he should have stepped aside at the end of last school year so a coach could have been hired.  HD was stuck with a basketball coach all season.  It wasn't right for the kids or the community.  I think the superintendent should have not let him shuck his responsibility of head coach without making him resign all together.

6 hours ago, HD94 said:

Why say he is ignorant?  We all expected to lose games this year, but not in the manner in which they lost.  Players did not look like they were in a position to be successful against comparable talent. As far as the coach, his son did not become a senior over night.  If he wanted to watch him instead of coach, he should have stepped aside at the end of last school year so a coach could have been hired.  HD was stuck with a basketball coach all season.  It wasn't right for the kids or the community.  I think the superintendent should have not let him shuck his responsibility of head coach without making him resign all together.

It appears that you aren’t familiar with the situation either.  A) I said he was ignorant because his original post implied that the head coach stopped coaching in order to be an AD only, dodging the responsibilities of being a head coach and all that comes with it. B ) did it ever occur to you that there may have been good reason for waiting until the end of summer to make the decision?  I don’t know the situation in full detail, nor do I know the coach personally, nor is it any of mine or your business so I won’t post the reason I heard for him waiting.  But it’s a legitimate reason (if what I heard is true). Furthermore, I heard that he actually offered to resign if the district wasn’t happy with his reasoning.. but that the Sup and board decided that he was too valuable to the school so they agreed to give him the year to be a dad to his senior son.  Again.. information that I heard from my friends that have friends.

Even if none of that is true, it seems to me that HD fans are notorious for wanting instant success when it just isn’t feasible.  I happen to remember at the beginning of the season all of the “it’s gonna be a good thing..won’t miss a beat” type talk when word of your basketball guy was taking over.  So I don’t wanna hear it.  Yeah, I said he was ignorant because of (explanation ^).. maybe you’re a little bit ignorant as well.

4 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

It appears that you aren’t familiar with the situation either.  A) I said he was ignorant because his original post implied that the head coach stopped coaching in order to be an AD only, dodging the responsibilities of being a head coach and all that comes with it. B ) did it ever occur to you that there may have been good reason for waiting until the end of summer to make the decision?  I don’t know the situation in full detail, nor do I know the coach personally, nor is it any of mine or your business so I won’t post the reason I heard for him waiting.  But it’s a legitimate reason (if what I heard is true). Furthermore, I heard that he actually offered to resign if the district wasn’t happy with his reasoning.. but that the Sup and board decided that he was too valuable to the school so they agreed to give him the year to be a dad to his senior son.  Again.. information that I heard from my friends that have friends.

Even if none of that is true, it seems to me that HD fans are notorious for wanting instant success when it just isn’t feasible.  I happen to remember at the beginning of the season all of the “it’s gonna be a good thing..won’t miss a beat” type talk when word of your basketball guy was taking over.  So I don’t wanna hear it.  Yeah, I said he was ignorant because of (explanation ^).. maybe you’re a little bit ignorant as well.

"HD fans are notorious", most of us HD fans will always pay for a few posters.  I understand that a coach sacrifices a lot to coach, especially family time.  I am a teacher and a pastor, but when I went to college I only wanted to coach.  By the time I graduated I didn't feel I could give the time required, so I chose not to coach.  If he knew he couldn't make the sacrifices needed he should have resigned. You are not going to convince me otherwise.  The school I teach at won't let me sit at home and pay me.  Like I said, most of us expected a down year, but it was the way kids seemed lost much of the time.  Either way this season is over, now the decision has to be made whether the current HC/AD stays are not.  I honestly don't see him leaving, but as a fan we can have an opinion on the issue.  Let me ask, how many HD games did you attend this year?  Do you think coaching had no effect on the product on the field?  

54 minutes ago, HD94 said:

"HD fans are notorious", most of us HD fans will always pay for a few posters.  I understand that a coach sacrifices a lot to coach, especially family time.  I am a teacher and a pastor, but when I went to college I only wanted to coach.  By the time I graduated I didn't feel I could give the time required, so I chose not to coach.  If he knew he couldn't make the sacrifices needed he should have resigned. You are not going to convince me otherwise.  The school I teach at won't let me sit at home and pay me.  Like I said, most of us expected a down year, but it was the way kids seemed lost much of the time.  Either way this season is over, now the decision has to be made whether the current HC/AD stays are not.  I honestly don't see him leaving, but as a fan we can have an opinion on the issue.  Let me ask, how many HD games did you attend this year?  Do you think coaching had no effect on the product on the field?  

You’re comparing “do you think the school I teach at to let me sit at home and pay me?” to him not being the head football coach this year?  Does he sit at home and get paid to be an athletic director?  
The current HC IS NOT the AD.. maybe you didn’t mean to type that.

I think coaching had an effect on little things like structure and discipline (not that it was bad).  I think the head coach had zero effect on the overall record.  None.

10 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

You’re comparing “do you think the school I teach at to let me sit at home and pay me?” to him not being the head football coach this year?  Does he sit at home and get paid to be an athletic director?  
The current HC IS NOT the AD.. maybe you didn’t mean to type that.

I think coaching had an effect on little things like structure and discipline (not that it was bad).  I think the head coach had zero effect on the overall record.  None.

Me saying current HC/AD is saying this wasn't a permanent thing and Hodges will return as head coach.  Almost no small school has an AD that's not the HC also, and HD never has.  He was hired to be AD/HC, in fact hired for football specifically.  Again my point is if he knew he couldn't or wouldn't fulfil his obligation he should have stepped aside at the end of last school year to give the the school the opportunity to bring in a head coach for football.  It's ok if we don't agree on that, but that doesn't make our opinion ignorant.  I also disagree with coaching didn't impact the outcome of the games.  Again I am not saying we would have necessarily won more games, just that we could've competed better in games.  

This whole topic on conversation is stupid. 

I’m going to come to yalls places of work and start a thread about how bad at your job you are on an Internet forum. These dudes have kids and families and lives to live. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say nothing at all. HD coaches love their students and love their jobs. I know must of them personally. 

Hodges is a great guy and so is Wallace. Get off their case. 

8 minutes ago, HasBeen36 said:

This whole topic on conversation is stupid. 

I’m going to come to yalls places of work and start a thread about how bad at your job you are on an Internet forum. These dudes have kids and families and lives to live. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say nothing at all. HD coaches love their students and love their jobs. I know must of them personally. 

Hodges is a great guy and so is Wallace. Get off their case. 

No one is saying they are not great guys.  No one is saying they don't love their students.  Coaching is a job that will always be judged on the product you put on the field.  If we have kids that attend the school and we live in the community, I believe we have a right to an opinion on this issue.

9 hours ago, HD94 said:

Me saying current HC/AD is saying this wasn't a permanent thing and Hodges will return as head coach.  Almost no small school has an AD that's not the HC also, and HD never has.  He was hired to be AD/HC, in fact hired for football specifically.  Again my point is if he knew he couldn't or wouldn't fulfil his obligation he should have stepped aside at the end of last school year to give the the school the opportunity to bring in a head coach for football.  It's ok if we don't agree on that, but that doesn't make our opinion ignorant.  I also disagree with coaching didn't impact the outcome of the games.  Again I am not saying we would have necessarily won more games, just that we could've competed better in games.  

Again.. you obviously don’t know the situation.  I already explained that there was good reason for waiting to make the decision.  I also said that he made it clear that he was more than happy to resign if the school (Sup/board) wasn’t happy with it.  I also explained that they ^ decided he was too valuable to their school leadership goals to let leave over one football season where he (for the one time and last chance) would be able to attend all of his Son’s high school football games.  You don’t have to agree with it but you might as well be happy about accepting it.

4 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Again.. you obviously don’t know the situation.  I already explained that there was good reason for waiting to make the decision.  I also said that he made it clear that he was more than happy to resign if the school (Sup/board) wasn’t happy with it.  I also explained that they ^ decided he was too valuable to their school leadership goals to let leave over one football season where he (for the one time and last chance) would be able to attend all of his Son’s high school football games.  You don’t have to agree with it but you might as well be happy about accepting it.

I know enough of the situation to know the right thing by the students wasn't done. You can blame Hodges or the school board/superintendent it makes no matter.  No one in their right mind can say this was ok.  You say you have so much knowledge of the situation but would you be ok if your son had to suffer because the head coach decided he would do other things instead of fulfilling his obligations. Once again he should have stepped away last year and done the right thing.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:50 PM, workbootz said:

1998 was the last time HD had a decent playoff run.  

And by decent, you are saying they won their first round game, then lost a heartbreaker in round 2. Having said that, only two teams per district made the playoffs back then so sit was much harder to win playoff games.

HD was outscored 428-142, outscored by 286 points... HD lost to West Hardin 38-12, D-ville 56-14 and West Sabine 44-20, in just those 3 games vs schools of similar size and competition, HD was outscored 138-46, outscored by 92 points... If you were to have watched the team last year and this year, you would have seen a total 360 in culture... No issue with HD getting blown out by a school record, 83-0 to powerhouse San Augustine, but like a many other alumnus have stated, to not just be able to win vs WH, D-ville and WS, much less not even be able to compete, is totally unacceptable...    

12 minutes ago, JohnRuthDomergue said:

HD was outscored 428-142, outscored by 286 points... HD lost to West Hardin 38-12, D-ville 56-14 and West Sabine 44-20, in just those 3 games vs schools of similar size and competition, HD was outscored 138-46, outscored by 92 points... If you were to have watched the team last year and this year, you would have seen a total 360 in culture... No issue with HD getting blown out by a school record, 83-0 to powerhouse San Augustine, but like a many other alumnus have stated, to not just be able to win vs WH, D-ville and WS, much less not even be able to compete, is totally unacceptable...    

Absolutely right.  Never mind the fact that HD graduated what little talent they had over the last couple seasons, had their best returner transfer, and played with a bunch of freshmen, oh..and played some of those ^ games with injuries... None of that matters.  They should've won district and made a deep run.

Excuse me while I roll my eyes. LOL