Schultz fired...

navydawg31

2 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

This new AD does seem to be a big ax happy.

Yes he does. I mean the head coach brought them to the playoffs last year. I don’t know what they loss in seniors. That college division of football is hard to win at. There are so many Texas and Louisiana schools recruiting.  I see that one player is transferring and another is not coming to a Lamar due to the coaching change. The AD appears he wants to WIN at all cost.I could see him reaching out to Briles. But do we think Briles would take the job? 

1 minute ago, LC-M said:

Yes he does. I mean the head coach brought them to the playoffs last year. I don’t know what they loss in seniors. That college division of football is hard to win at. There are so many Texas and Louisiana schools recruiting.  I see that one player is transferring and another is not coming to a Lamar due to the coaching change. The AD appears he wants to WIN at all cost.I could see him reaching out to Briles. But do we think Briles would take the job? 

Sadly, I think you are right. He will reach out to him.

9 hours ago, Reagan said:

Lamar could hire another Ray Woodard or another Ray Alborn and eventually kill the program.  Or...

This article is on the coaching speculation.  The only coach mentioned was Art Briles!  LOL!!

Let's see, 4 State Championships and what he did at Baylor, I'd say, yes, he should be Lamar's choice!

This is the hidden content, please

If the man went to Coach at Mount Vernon why wouldn’t they get him to Lamar? The thing is I bet Briles is probably retiring around the lakes up there. So that might keep him at a no. I don’t think a big  College is gonna give him a job. So Lamar would be his only chance to to get back in the college game . 

19 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

How often do HS coaches make the jump to college? Other than todd dodge and that didn't last too long. Just strange that the 2 big names mentioned are currently on the HS level.

I think it’s strange that they fired a guy after he a good season last year. Yeah he had one down season but they extended his contract to 2021 and now he is fired. Now Briles name is getting brought up the meetings. I’m sure the AD contacted him. My opinion they should have kept the coach they had. Jeff Traylor left Gilmer for UT. 

2 hours ago, LC-M said:

I think it’s strange that they fired a guy after he a good season last year. Yeah he had one down season but they extended his contract to 2021 and now he is fired. Now Briles name is getting brought up the meetings. I’m sure the AD contacted him. My opinion they should have kept the coach they had. Jeff Traylor left Gilmer for UT. 

Again, your opinion, and anyone else's, do you think Lamar made the move because Briles is available and has expressed an interest?  I was surprised the move was made.  BUT -- if it's because of Briles then I understand it.

10 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Again, your opinion, and anyone else's, do you think Lamar made the move because Briles is available and has expressed an interest?  I was surprised the move was made.  BUT -- if it's because of Briles then I understand it.

I think there is a chance due to his name being mentioned. I think they have their feelers out to see if there is a big reaction. If they want Briles that’s fine with me. I know he has poor perception from many.  But I’d rather go with a guy that’s gonna stay Atleast 5 to 7 years. Lamar doesn’t really have a winning tradition and they need someone for the long haul. 

UTSA AD Lisa Campos said Art Briles will not be a candidate in her search: "I think it’s easy to cross off Art Briles, given our relationship with
and given the stance we’ve taken on sexual assault and sexual abuse awareness. That is a pretty obvious one for me."

8 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:
UTSA AD Lisa Campos said Art Briles will not be a candidate in her search: "I think it’s easy to cross off Art Briles, given our relationship with
and given the stance we’ve taken on sexual assault and sexual abuse awareness. That is a pretty obvious one for me."

Ms Campos apparently has info no one else does.  Briles has not been found guilty of anything.  Baylor sent out  a letter stating as such.  Also, one doesn't get paid a "large" amount of money if one is guilty.  I think I'll find Ms Campos' email and ask her what info she has that no one, that I'm aware, has.  Then I will state here the email I sent.  Will be interesting to see if Ms Campos responds.  Again, if Briles has been found guilty of anything, I'll be the first to condemn.  But, the man has 2 daughters.  I can't imagine he'd condone what was allegedly going on.  We have to fight this guilt by accusation.  We are still America -- aren't we?!

13 hours ago, LC-M said:

I really hope he takes the job. He might make lamar better and he will end up leaving for a bigger school. Maybe pull in some East Texas talent with our setx guys.

This plus, tons of connects through out the state of Texas... I think it’s a great fit for both parties... he gets to show his shot and worthy at the College Level being a head coach. Great morals, younger then last and energetic, comes with a lot less criticism than a Briles hire, and all the kids seem to love and respond to him well. Hopefully Lamar can do it

5 hours ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

This is the best bet for Lamar. It's a stepping stone job, but he would get them on track quick IMO.

Or, could be like another first timer Todd Dodge at NTS!  There's talk of doing away with the program if it doesn't get any better.  Are the Lamar faithful OK with that prospect and going with an unproven college head coach?  Or go with a proven commodity?   To me -- it's not hard.  But...

30 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Or, could be like another first timer Todd Dodge at NTS!  There's talk of doing away with the program if it doesn't get any better.  Are the Lamar faithful OK with that prospect and going with an unproven college head coach?  Or go with a proven commodity?   To me -- it's not hard.  But...

Well, I will say it like this.

As a Lamar University alum, I am PERFECTLY ok with going with Jeff Traylor.  For if Lamar does hire Art Briles, then LU might as well do away with the football program, or for that matter the athletic program as a whole as far as I am concerned as my little butt will never be in the stands of Provost-Umphrey or Vincent-Beck and will never be in the seats at the Montagne Center for ANY event.

And I bet I am not the only one.

I have never been in Provost Humphrey Stadium, but if they hired Briles, I would go for the first time. If they hired Traylor I might go if he eventually started to put a good product on the field. I think Briles would chase off some old heads like WOSgrad, but would put more butts in the seat than previous years and ultimately that’s what it is all about, driving interest into the program.

13 minutes ago, OneChance said:

I have never been in Provost Humphrey Stadium, but if they hired Briles, I would go for the first time. If they hired Traylor I might go if he eventually started to put a good product on the field. I think Briles would chase off some old heads like WOSgrad, but would put more butts in the seat than previous years and ultimately that’s what it is all about, driving interest into the program.

Who ever gets the job the AD needs to give them a chance. The last coach imo wasn’t bad. 

On 12/6/2019 at 3:56 PM, WOSgrad said:

Well, I will say it like this.

As a Lamar University alum, I am PERFECTLY ok with going with Jeff Traylor.  For if Lamar does hire Art Briles, then LU might as well do away with the football program, or for that matter the athletic program as a whole as far as I am concerned as my little butt will never be in the stands of Provost-Umphrey or Vincent-Beck and will never be in the seats at the Montagne Center for ANY event.

And I bet I am not the only one.

As of Friday, December 13th, my daughter will be a Lamar Alum. I have been to every home game and several road games the past 5 years. For the life of me I do not know why Schultz was fired.

None the less, Art Briles is a cancer. It's a scientific fact.

Hire Coach Taylor and let's see what he can do.