Carthage 55 Lumberton 17/FINAL

WOSgrad

It just shocks me that everyone gets on here and bashed Lumberton. Let’s be honest. No we don’t have the size as some of these other schools, but we have a school full of a bunch of players that play their heart out every game. They have nothing to be ashamed of for losing to a number 1 ranked team in the state. Lumberton put up the most points on Carthage this season that is something to be proud of. Making playoffs two years in a row and going 2 rounds deep after going 4-5 seasons of only winning 1 game a year. I’m beyond proud of the raiders. 

Carthage is a great team. They did what they were supposed to do which is advance without getting any kids hurt. I hope that part happened because I saw a few kids leave the field. What I'm most proud of is that our coaches and kids came in ready to fight and let the chips fall where they may. We killed ourselves early with bad snaps, a chop block, etc which would have made for a closer game. But even into the 4th quarter, I saw kids launching their bodies into a bigger stronger opponent and never giving up. I would never question a coach using timeouts at the end of an unwinnable game to try to score again. It's one more chance to teach kids that it is never ok to give up or lay down. If someone can't understand that, then they need to spend some time looking in the mirror.  The Lumberton players had nothing but good things to say about the Carthage players. That says a lot about those kids, their parents and coaches. Great job Carthage!!!  I think some other parents could learn a few things from your example.  Great season Raiders!!

34 minutes ago, purpleeagle said:

This old Newton guy was pulling for the L-Train. Good season Raiders. Most teams in the state never made it to the first round. You make it to the second. Good job, well done and wishing your team the best in the future.

Thanks! Good luck to you guys! Hopefully I’ll be making a trip to Dallas to watch y’all in a few weeks 🤞🏼

36 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

That’s very true. Just wasn’t the case this time. Carthage is a great team though. Man those kids and coaches are good!

Yessir never ceases to amaze me the caliber of talent the get on a year in year out basis. They’ve got a great mix of blacks, whites, and Mexicans. The perfect blend if you will

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

Not sure I understand the context of this reply. Harmless, I’m sure. Just and odd comment. 

Let me help you out there my man. Carthage is really good every year because they have great players. Some of those players are white. Some of them are black. Some of them are Mexicans. We in the coaching world know that “mix of kids”  is very crucial to success

16 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

Let me help you out there my man. Carthage is really good every year because they have great players. Some of those players are white. Some of them are black. Some of them are Mexicans. We in the coaching world know that “mix of kids”  is very crucial to success

Thanks for the clarification and "helping me out", my man. Still an odd opinionated comment. Lol. Are there certain percentages that the "coaching world" sees as more beneficial to success? Cuz I don't think the NFL coaches agree with that... NFL stats: Approx 70% African American. Less than 30% white and a scant percentage of all other races...but what do they know...

I don't think that a good "(racial) mix of kids" is crucial to a program's success, necessarily. While it may have a positive societal impact, it probably doesn't put points on the board. Anyhow, it's a non-issue I guess. I was just wondering where your comment came from...

5 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Thanks for the clarification and "helping me out", my man. Still an odd opinionated comment. Lol. Are there certain percentages that the "coaching world" sees as more beneficial to success? Cuz I don't think the NFL coaches agree with that... NFL stats: Approx 70% African American. Less than 30% white and a scant percentage of all other races...but what do they know...

I don't think that a good "(racial) mix of kids" is crucial to a program's success, necessarily. While it may have a positive societal impact, it probably doesn't put points on the board. Anyhow, it's a non-issue I guess. I was just wondering where your comment came from...

I don't know about so called racial mix, but Carthage has done a good job of getting the fat boys out of the welding shop and on the to field. Their O-line the last several years dominates. Yes its good scheme and coaching, but this day and time ,getting kids to come out into the heat and play, and lift weights all year, it is not an easy task. It's easier for kids to do other things, like chase girls, Deer, make money, or play video games. Just my observation.

6 minutes ago, JaspD55 said:

I don't know about so called racial mix, but Carthage has done a good job of getting the fat boys out of the welding shop and on the to field. Their O-line the last several years dominates. Yes its good scheme and coaching, but this day and time ,getting kids to come out into the heat and play, and lift weights all year, it is not an easy task. It's easier for kids to do other things, like chase girls, Deer, make money, or play video games. Just my observation.

This.... the community support up there is unwavering as well.  Not just in terms of facilities, but in support for coaches,  salaries, etc, etc.... All of that Deep East Texas Oil Money on the tax rolls doesn't hurt a bit, either. 

I like to think of Carthage as Newton with a little bit o' money.  

*edit*    And teeth.

22 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

6 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

I know exactly what UNCLEPIG is talking about.  For a SETX reference, that would be Silsbee, Newton, East Chambers,  West Brook, who all have balance and flavor and a great mix.  No, it's not necessary to have a certain number of ingredients per, but you almost must have balance to compete at a high level, in Region III.  After that talent gets you so far, it's culture and winning dna, which is lacking overall in our area.  These programs have it and it starts from the top (Leadership).  I am not sure why its so hard for some people to understand this concept.  Carthage and Navasota is about the best demonstration in the state for this balance (4a and below)  Once again, you will see successful programs without the balance, but not so much in our area.  Why you ask?  Because they dont have the balance, dna, culture, coachability, etc that these type of programs have and are.  Simple really

I just want kids that can play with a sprinkle of athletes here and there.  I don't  care what race they are.  I've seen Hispanic kids that's came through that was the  best athlete on the field,  example, Bruce Reyes at WB.  I've seen a Philipinio  kid in Quirante.  I've  seen a Bermudan kid in Whaley.  I've seen a white kid in McGuffie..  the list goes on.  If they can play and ball, they can play and ball...

11 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I just want kids that can play with a sprinkle of athletes here and there.  I don't  care what race they are.  I've seen Hispanic kids that's came through that was the  best athlete on the field,  example, Bruce Reyes at WB.  I've seen a Philipinio  kid in Quirante.  I've  seen a Bermudan kid in Whaley.  I've seen a white kid in McGuffie..  the list goes on.  If they can play and ball, they can play and ball...

Exactly, I think people have this preconceived idea that you have to be a certain color to play a certain position: qb- white, RB/WR- black

But look where we are currently in the NFL. Some of the top performing qbs this year: Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Russel Wilson, Patrick Mahomes... all have one thing in common.

And arguably the best RB in the NFL this year: Christian McCaffrey.

Its not about race. One of the best examples I can think of is Manvel vs Highland Park about 2 years ago for the state championship. All black vs all white, athletes everywhere, amazing shootout.