Question for Texas Fans

1989NDN

I have friends and colleagues that are Texas Exes.  They are divided about the future of Tom Herman.  There are some with strong opinions about getting rid of Tom Herman now.  They argue that he is in over his head, he oversold himself and his alleged culture for the Longhorn football program, and that his arrogance has worn thin with big money UT donors and the beat writers that cover Longhorn sports in Austin.  The others want to give Tom Herman four years to establish a consistent 10-win program.  They argue that last year's Sugar Bowl was proof of what is to come soon.  My question is why should Tom Herman be treated any different from Charlie Strong?  The expectations and job requirements are the same.  Some would argue that Tom Herman has been given better resources compared to Charlie Strong, i.e., a new locker room, upgraded practice facilities, new and improved weight room, media room, and student-athlete study center.  Are the Texas grads and fans on this message board wearing thin of Tom Herman?  Do you want him gone?  Is he being treated differently than Charlie Strong?  If yes, what are the justifications for that?  If you want him out, who do you replace him with as the next HC of UT?

I have no dog in the fight.  I'm a UH grad.  Tom Herman did good things for the Cougars (22-4) during his short stay there.  No sour grapes from me.  He won games and moved onward and upward.  I'm OK with that.  Granted, he had some exceptional talents on the roster at UH, e.g., Greg Ward, Jr., Elandon Roberts, Kenneth Farrow, Tyus Bowser, William Jackson, Steven Taylor, Ed Oliver, Brandon Wilson, Cameron Malveaux, Adrian McDonald, Linell Bonner, Steven Dunbar, Matt Adams, and a rock solid and huge OL.  Several of those kids played in the NFL or are still playing in the NFL.  Maybe Tom Herman and UH were the right fit at the right time and things worked out.  Not sure that I see the right fit at Texas after three years.  What sayeth the UT grads and fans on this board.

Go Indians...Go Coogs.  Peace.

4 hours ago, 1989NDN said:

I have friends and colleagues that are Texas Exes.  They are divided about the future of Tom Herman.  There are some with strong opinions about getting rid of Tom Herman now.  They argue that he is in over his head, he oversold himself and his alleged culture for the Longhorn football program, and that his arrogance has worn thin with big money UT donors and the beat writers that cover Longhorn sports in Austin.  The others want to give Tom Herman four years to establish a consistent 10-win program.  They argue that last year's Sugar Bowl was proof of what is to come soon.  My question is why should Tom Herman be treated any different from Charlie Strong?  The expectations and job requirements are the same.  Some would argue that Tom Herman has been given better resources compared to Charlie Strong, i.e., a new locker room, upgraded practice facilities, new and improved weight room, media room, and student-athlete study center.  Are the Texas grads and fans on this message board wearing thin of Tom Herman?  Do you want him gone?  Is he being treated differently than Charlie Strong?  If yes, what are the justifications for that?  If you want him out, who do you replace him with as the next HC of UT?

I have no dog in the fight.  I'm a UH grad.  Tom Herman did good things for the Cougars (22-4) during his short stay there.  No sour grapes from me.  He won games and moved onward and upward.  I'm OK with that.  Granted, he had some exceptional talents on the roster at UH, e.g., Greg Ward, Jr., Elandon Roberts, Kenneth Farrow, Tyus Bowser, William Jackson, Steven Taylor, Ed Oliver, Brandon Wilson, Cameron Malveaux, Adrian McDonald, Linell Bonner, Steven Dunbar, Matt Adams, and a rock solid and huge OL.  Several of those kids played in the NFL or are still playing in the NFL.  Maybe Tom Herman and UH were the right fit at the right time and things worked out.  Not sure that I see the right fit at Texas after three years.  What sayeth the UT grads and fans on this board.

Go Indians...Go Coogs.  Peace.

He’s got at least another year and realistically at least two short of a complete train wreck.  He’s not being treated differently than Charlie because his season last year surpassed any that Strong had in his entire tenure.  Is he the right guy?  I really don’t know.  But he will have another year or two to prove himself.  Some of the things he’s done tend to irritate me but maybe I’m getting old.  The players seem to love him.  

I remember a time where OU was handing us our behinds in an embarrassing fashion year after year under Mack.  The pot bangers were loud.  They quietened for a time after ‘05.   Maybe Herman will find another Vince Young.  Maybe he already has.  Time will tell. 

The jury is still out on Tom. I guess my biggest disappointment would have to be OL play. He gets a pass this year due to injuries and youth on D. The rb situation speaks for itself. For what its worth, I'm of the opinion you give him another yr. Still cant wrap my head around our inability to win the line of scrimmages on both sides of the ball (especially on O). On the fence here. 

59 minutes ago, TXHORN_ET said:

Texas won the games they were supposed to last year. This year is a different story.

Aggie is fairly consistent each year winning the games they are supposed to. The thing with them is they hardly ever win games against the top teams in their conference.

A&M has losses to #1, #8, #1, #4 and they get to play #1 again next week.  

If only we got to play TCU, Iowa St, and Baylor it may be a little different.  

5 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

I agree 100%

If it weren’t for Texas VB and reruns of 2006, I’d forget what it’s like to see a Longhorn victory. Oh, and Case McCoy’s pinball run against aggie. Sorry, had to get in one last dig.

19 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

Dude, you struggled with Nicholls St, Arkansas, and Ole Miss, all of whom are beyond awful.   We suck too but you have to come to terms with you’re terrible as well.  The loss yesterday might have been the most impressive game of the season. We’ve both somehow managed to let a couple of private schools become the best teams in the state. 

On 11/23/2019 at 7:59 AM, outanup said:

The jury is still out on Tom. I guess my biggest disappointment would have to be OL play. He gets a pass this year due to injuries and youth on D. The rb situation speaks for itself. For what its worth, I'm of the opinion you give him another yr. Still cant wrap my head around our inability to win the line of scrimmages on both sides of the ball (especially on O). On the fence here. 

I agree with this. I was at LSU and their fans repeatedly told me how impressed they were with our OL. That's a damn sight from where we are as a group now. Can't run the ball to save our lives.

Me thinks Herman has lost the locker room. He'll get at least another year, but he's gonna have to make some moves on his staff. Injuries or no injuries, this year has been a miserable disappointment.