BREAKING NEWS from DCTF Matt Stepp

AggiesAreWe

13 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I’m not sure how many people from Dayton were really high on Nations? He hasn’t coached a game in five years. The explanation is he coached on a staff with Jerry Stewart. 

Oh, I distinctly remember that Coach Nations was held in high regard before his hiring.  I recall words like offensive genius being thrown around and folks lamenting that it was Hancock, not Nations, that replaced Stewart as head coach when Stewart took on the AD only role.

Sadly, I am now hearing the same complaints about Nations that I heard bout Hancock just before his departure...that he is wasting all of this abundant talent a Dayton.  You have to begin to wonder after the same complaint is lodged against two head coaches in a row what is really the status of talent at Dayton.

11 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Oh, I distinctly remember that Coach Nations was held in high regard before his hiring.  I recall words like offensive genius being thrown around and folks lamenting that it was Hancock, not Nations, that replaced Stewart as head coach when Stewart took on the AD only role.

Sadly, I am now hearing the same complaints about Nations that I heard bout Hancock just before his departure...that he is wasting all of this abundant talent a Dayton.  You have to begin to wonder after the same complaint is lodged against two head coaches in a row what is really the status of talent at Dayton.

I wouldn’t cast the net too wide on that statement, there were lots of folks upset with that hire especially considering the level of talented coaches that applied for the position. Most if not all of the folks that were “high” on hiring Nations have since disappeared from this site.

9 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

If this was the case North Shore’s football program would’ve died a long time ago seeing as how they’re 70% Hispanic. They still have athletes, you have to make them want to be a part of something though. What spells disaster is hiring somebody because they go to the same church. 

North Shore has 5,000 in high school; quite a few more to pick from. People always point to NS as the ONE example of a Hispanic dominated school that’s successful in football. Let me rain some truth on y’all; unless you’re in the valley, west Texas or El Paso, you’re not winning football games with a bunch of Hispanic kids. Period. It’s not happening. There are tons of glaring examples of once proud, competitive teams all over the state(Houston, DFW, and East Texas) that are now downtrodden because of the Hispanic takeover. 

Loaded with talent?.. Maybe the fine citizens of Dayton have forgotten what talent looks like.  I have a hard time believing that Dayton has all of this talent that isn't capable of winning football games. I have no doubt they have some talented kids but it doesn't seem to be enough for the likes of their competition.  Maybe bring back the Dayton/Liberty game.  

2 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

North Shore has 5,000 in high school; quite a few more to pick from. People always point to NS as the ONE example of a Hispanic dominated school that’s successful in football. Let me rain some truth on y’all; unless you’re in the valley, west Texas or El Paso, you’re not winning football games with a bunch of Hispanic kids. Period. It’s not happening. There are tons of glaring examples of once proud, competitive teams all over the state(Houston, DFW, and East Texas) that are now downtrodden because of the Hispanic takeover. 

That’s pretty duh statement, of course you can only win games with Hispanics in those places because that’s all that freaking lives there. You’re killing your own argument. NS used to be basically all white and sucked at football, now “Hispanics have taken over” and the black and white population of the school combines to less than 30% of the total and they’re winning state titles. You can apply the same logic to Duncanville who’s majority Hispanic now as well. 

My wife graduated from Dallas Skyline. They’re 75% Hispanic and have a similar enrollment to NS. Up until recently they were basically DFW’s version of NS. Now they suck because their coach went to Duncanville. Go look at the before and after records for both teams and you’ll see the differences. Hispanics moving in make your enrollment go up, they don’t make you sorry all of a sudden. 

Dayton doesn’t have a problem with Hispanics ruining their football program. Dayton had the fewest black kids I can ever remember seeing on their team the past couple years we played. They have a problem with a crappy coach and low participation rates. You’re misconstruing regentrification  with simply having additional enrollment that happens to be Hispanic. 

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

Loaded with talent?.. Maybe the fine citizens of Dayton have forgotten what talent looks like.  I have a hard time believing that Dayton has all of this talent that isn't capable of winning football games. I have no doubt they have some talented kids but it doesn't seem to be enough for the likes of their competition.  Maybe bring back the Dayton/Liberty game.  

BH’s talent level vs the competition is no higher now than it was when they were finishing 6th in the district. Their players are better because they’re being coached up though. Dayton is growing slower than the surrounding areas so they’re going to be in 5A-D2 for a while. You don’t need Cody Green and AJ Dugat to win down here, they would be just fine with players like the little Herrera kid that played qb and had Dayton in the regional round. 

15 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

it's no longer moving in from Crosby. Dugat, Green, Franks all lived in a town just down the road until high school. That move in talent is stopping at 2100 instead of going to 146. 

19 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

it's no longer moving in from Crosby. Dugat, Green, Franks all lived in a town just down the road until high school. That move in talent is stopping at 2100 instead of going to 146. 

Where do you think Green and Dugat lived? They played youth league and JH football here. AJ's brother Michael (2 yrs older) did too. Now Franks was a different story.

5 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

That’s pretty duh statement, of course you can only win games with Hispanics in those places because that’s all that freaking lives there. You’re killing your own argument. NS used to be basically all white and sucked at football, now “Hispanics have taken over” and the black and white population of the school combines to less than 30% of the total and they’re winning state titles. You can apply the same logic to Duncanville who’s majority Hispanic now as well. 

My wife graduated from Dallas Skyline. They’re 75% Hispanic and have a similar enrollment to NS. Up until recently they were basically DFW’s version of NS. Now they suck because their coach went to Duncanville. Go look at the before and after records for both teams and you’ll see the differences. Hispanics moving in make your enrollment go up, they don’t make you sorry all of a sudden. 

Dayton doesn’t have a problem with Hispanics ruining their football program. Dayton had the fewest black kids I can ever remember seeing on their team the past couple years we played. They have a problem with a crappy coach and low participation rates. You’re misconstruing regentrification  with simply having additional enrollment that happens to be Hispanic. 

You’re trying to sound over intelligent chief. Relax . Dallas Skyline hasn’t peed a drop in football since Samples left man. Explain why Garland, Mesquite, Irving, and tons of others similar schools are no longer any good in football. It’s the same reason Dayton is no longer any good 

Dayton had 8 district championships from 1941-1977. Then they hire Stewart and roll of 9 district championships in his 15 years as head coach I believe. Then he semi retires and Dayton did not win a district championship without him as a head coach. In comes the new head coach and the last 4 years Dayton is averaging around 2 wins a year. Guess we had a huge Hispanic invasion before he got here and then another one now that he’s gone. Side note the all-time leading passer in Dayton history is a 5”7 Hispanic kid. I believe around 6000 yds a bunch of playoff wins including a regional final against Brenham that Dayton was leading with about 2 minutes to go in the game. Make no mistake about it there are going to be years teams have more talent than others but Stewart could take an average team and win a ton of games. I would never expect Dayton to be state contenders every year but  to not win a single district game in 2 years is horrible.

2 minutes ago, Red Boyou said:

Wow .....and you think he’s the best candidate to pull us out of this black hole we are in? That’s just more of the same ol click.

Better than what you currently have.  What good coach gonna take a job without being an AD.  He's got some coaching experience under his belt.

6 minutes ago, workbootz said:

Better than what you currently have.  What good coach gonna take a job without being an AD.  He's got some coaching experience under his belt.

That’s exactly what I was talking about before.  What good coach is going to take the job without being the AD ?  Not sure why the administration is doing that. 

8 hours ago, bronco pride said:

Dayton had 8 district championships from 1941-1977. Then they hire Stewart and roll of 9 district championships in his 15 years as head coach I believe. Then he semi retires and Dayton did not win a district championship without him as a head coach. In comes the new head coach and the last 4 years Dayton is averaging around 2 wins a year. Guess we had a huge Hispanic invasion before he got here and then another one now that he’s gone. Side note the all-time leading passer in Dayton history is a 5”7 Hispanic kid. I believe around 6000 yds a bunch of playoff wins including a regional final against Brenham that Dayton was leading with about 2 minutes to go in the game. Make no mistake about it there are going to be years teams have more talent than others but Stewart could take an average team and win a ton of games. I would never expect Dayton to be state contenders every year but  to not win a single district game in 2 years is horrible.

Agreed