4th seed

oldschool2

I’ve said it before.. most of the time the 4 seed gets absolutely embossed by a district champ, sparking the argument that too many teams go.

But.. every once in a while the 4 seeds makes a competitive outing.  Or wins.  In my opinion, justifying the sending of 4.  Yes, UIL needs to get rid of 4/5/6 team districts.

Just this week: New Diana (4) played a ten point game with two time defending state champ Newton (1).

Texas High (4) BEAT fifth ranked Lufkin (1).

Winnsboro (4) BEAT Hooks (1).

I’m sure there are other relative examples.

10 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I’ve said it before.. most of the time the 4 seed gets absolutely embossed by a district champ, sparking the argument that too many teams go.

But.. every once in a while the 4 seeds makes a competitive outing.  Or wins.  In my opinion, justifying the sending of 4.  Yes, UIL needs to get rid of 4/5/6 team districts.

Just this week: New Diana (4) played a ten point game with two time defending state champ Newton (1).

Most of the times they get blown out. But in 3AD2 this year in both District 11 and 12 all 4 teams from both Districts is pretty competitive. Also the #1 seed in District 11 Dangerfield beat the #4 seed in District 12 by a score of 18-0. Thats by no means a blowout anfd Shiro definitely deserved to be there.

I think the reason they done it that way is because at times many teams in the same districts are very evenly paired. Not to just give every team and opportunity to go to the playoffs. But often some teams end up there that really shouldn't be there. But for the sake of equal parity in some districts,  I can live with that decision 

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

True, anything is possible.  But --  a rare occurrence.  Wonder if any of those teams were 1-8 or 1-9 during the season?  Just curious.

3 hours ago, Reagan said:

But -- probably not by a 1-8 or 1-9 team!  This is my main complaint that these type of teams are in the once proud playoffs!

I think that's exactly what he meant because he went on to say ...he is going to do every thing he can to have the Mustang ready regardless of the opponents record.  

9 hours ago, Reagan said:

But -- probably not by a 1-8 or 1-9 team!  This is my main complaint that these type of teams are in the once proud playoffs!

But you can’t control that, 4 is an even number that levels brackets. Teams DO NOTwant an off week as it hurts rhythm. This is such a “ old man sitting on a porch, mad at the world topic”. I’m almost 60 and should be that old man but there is no logic in keeping out 4th place. The ncaa should expand to 8. 

6 hours ago, coach bear said:

But you can’t control that, 4 is an even number that levels brackets. Teams DO NOTwant an off week as it hurts rhythm. This is such a “ old man sitting on a porch, mad at the world topic”. I’m almost 60 and should be that old man but there is no logic in keeping out 4th place. The ncaa should expand to 8. 

I am for keeping 4 teams. Just eliminate the 4 and 5 team districts. A team should not get an automatic bid to playoffs strictly due to geography.

6 hours ago, coach bear said:

In 4a d2, lets combine districts, drop to 8 districts instead of 16. Take top 4 teams, play 5 rounds instead of 6. Do away with open week and play an 11 game schedule. Imagine combining districts 9 and 10 , have a 10 team district, playing 9 district games, 2 non district. Cut back to one scrimmage, and get 10 days of pads in the spring. You know most teams are playing out 4 qtrs in their scrimmages anyway. Some districts like 11 and 12, would have 12 teams, they would play 11 district games. I know all this will never happen, but it would sure make it easier for Coaches trying to schedule non district games. And Yall couldn't complain about 1-9 teams making playoffs.

41 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

They dont have to combine anything. Just make all divisions equal.

But thats the whole problem , when you make divisions equal, you get the bottom schools in each division too far apart number wise from the top schools in each division. That's the reason for splitting each division in the first place. 500 to 800 is already a big difference. I'm sure UIL has tried ever computer program they can find, to try and spit something out, but this is what we got. I would like to see bigger districts also, 5 team districts are a nightmare for coaches trying to schedule games. 

12 minutes ago, JaspD55 said:

But thats the whole problem , when you make divisions equal, you get the bottom schools in each division too far apart number wise from the top schools in each division. That's the reason for splitting each division in the first place. 500 to 800 is already a big difference. I'm sure UIL has tried ever computer program they can find, to try and spit something out, but this is what we got. I would like to see bigger districts also, 5 team districts are a nightmare for coaches trying to schedule games. 

He is saying make the number of schools more equal in each classification. 4A has the least amount of schools of all the classifications.

I can't imagine 4 teams ever being changed. Once UIL has went there, I can't imagine one being taken away. The problem I see with taking 4 teams is breaking into two different classifications for 2A-4A. The numbers seem to support the idea of two divisions and four teams making the playoffs much better in 5A and 6A. These are the percentages currently making the playoffs right now in 2A-4A:

2A D1: 68% of teams

2A D2: 71% of teams

3A D1: 60% of teams

3A D2: 61% of teams

4A D1: 70% of teams

4A D2: 71% of teams

Some Regions have nearly 75% of teams making the playoffs. We will always see some 4 seeds beating 1 seeds because upsets happen and some districts are much stronger and deeper than others. I'm not 100% how it works, but Louisiana does some type of Power Ranking to seed the playoffs. Texas is way too big to do that across the state, but you could do that per Region. I'm sure for some districts the 5th place team may be better than a 3rd or 4th place team in the playoffs from another district. Since such a high percentage of teams are getting in why not seed each Region from #1-#16 and play it that way. That will also keep the possibility of two of the top teams meeting so early. 

I would like to see the end of such small districts when allowing four teams in, but I don't see how they can do that when there are only so many teams in a classification trying to fill 16 playoff spots per Region for 4 Regions. 

I think part of the issue stems from the UIL maintaining an equal number of districts in each classification/division. This results in the same number of rounds/playoff games in each. Nice and symmetrical. The problem arises because schools of a certain size are not evenly dispersed across the state. Some areas may have a lot of small schools (easy to create 7 or 8 team districts) and few large schools (hard to create 7 or 8 team districts) or vice versa. Then you have those areas where no matter the size of the school, it's a hell of a long way to play anyone. This is compounded by at least appearing to keep the enrollment differentials as close to the same as possible across classifications/divisions. I'm not a fan of 4, 5, or 6 team districts either, but I can see the challenge there.

The answer may be to have different numbers of districts in different classifications. You may have a four round playoff in some, and 5 or 6 rounds in others. If I remember correctly, Florida is set up that way. Downside: it would blow the hell out of championship weekend....