For Discussion Purposes About Losing Teams Making The Playoffs!

Reagan

My opinion on the the 4 teams in general making the playoffs is a joke.  But, actual the discussion is this:  Should teams that are 1-8 like Hardin-Jefferson or like Huntington at 1-9,  should these teams just so no, we aren't playing?  Saying, because we do not deserve to be in the playoffs.  Or, should they play and, like 99% of the time, end up getting embarrassed?    Of course a coach can say on his resume, I've made the playoffs two straight years.  OK, coach, but what was your record?  Uh, 2-18.  It's sad, but the first couple of rounds in the playoffs are a waste of time.  Use to mean something to make the playoffs.  Not any more!  I guess it's like getting a participation trophy!  SMH!  Again, my opinion.

Bi district is currently a joke. WOS has outscored their 1st round opponents 386-10 over the last 6 years. Last night Huntington was the first team to score a touchdown.

I've said in the other discussion, uil has to make the divisions and districts even. In order to have 4 teams make the playoffs, the districts should have a minimum or 7 teams.

Another question... Has a #4 team won a state championship? If not, how far? 

43 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Bi district is currently a joke. WOS has outscored their 1st round opponents 386-10 over the last 6 years. Last night Huntington was the first team to score a touchdown.

I've said in the other discussion, uil has to make the divisions and districts even. In order to have 4 teams make the playoffs, the districts should have a minimum or 7 teams.

I don’t know about a 4, but Carthage was a three seed in 2016 and won an S.C.   

There will be a few fours that knock off ones this year.  

52 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

If i remember correctly La Marque was a 4seed in 2010 and lost to Aledo in the title game. 

Per jacketgrad06 of smoaky:

This is the hidden content, please

That count is up to 15. Still a couple left to be played and I didn’t look at 6A due to the split after district. 

16 1vs4 in each division

128 games 

15 won so far

thats right about 12% with a few more to be played and not counting any 6A. 

5A Div 1 has the most with 4.  3A Div2 is the only division without a 4 over a 1. 

I say keep 4 teams. There are the outliers that don’t win that shouldn’t be there but they will get put out that week anyway.

Personally I can't stand the "4 Teams to the playoffs" set up. I agree that getting to the playoffs "used" to be something special, but now you have 1-9, 2-8 teams getting in.

But in any event, if the UIL has the rules set up like that and a losing team gets in... then they should go out and play to win too. I don't like it, but when this does happen... it is a chance for the much better team to get the younger/less experienced kids some playoff experience.

Since it Football season everyone is only thinking of Football. Should the UIL say in one sport 4 go and in other sports only 2 or 3 go to playoffs. I have certainly seen 4 seeds win in baseball playoffs. Aggie may can chime in on basketball. I would like to keep either 2 or 4 from each district in Football. 3 makes district winners have a bye. Not good for Football. Other sports you can have a warmup game to fill that void. Example, you are in a 7 team district, you win your district and your bye is last week. Now you have 2 weeks off before your first playoff game. You need to play to stay in sync. The solution to any of this is above my pay grade.

11 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Per jacketgrad06 of smoaky:

This is the hidden content, please

That count is up to 15. Still a couple left to be played and I didn’t look at 6A due to the split after district. 

16 1vs4 in each division

128 games 

15 won so far

thats right about 12% with a few more to be played and not counting any 6A. 

5A Div 1 has the most with 4.  3A Div2 is the only division without a 4 over a 1. 

I say keep 4 teams. There are the outliers that don’t win that shouldn’t be there but they will get put out that week anyway.

I was just doing this math myself. I am 100% okay with 4 teams making the playoffs with this number of 4 seeds beating district champions. It is crazy when a 10-0 teams lose in the first round to teams that barely make the playoffs. But I am a big fan of the underdog. The upsets are more than likely going to happen in the bigger schools but you gotta love the 2a 4 seeds that win the first round playoff game.