Lumberton 34 Houston Wheatley 17/FINAL

WOSgrad

14 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

Well I didn’t consider any of that so I stand corrected. Still, I think it’s sad not only for the players but also for the community/parents as well. Everyone should have the privilege of Friday Night Lights,  “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of HS football” lol

If they are in an economically challenged area, then maybe the school district can supply a fan bus for the parents and fans.  The district can afford it.  It would be if the fans amd parents want to go.  All those athletes need support.

6 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

If they are in an economically challenged area, then maybe the school district can supply a fan bus for the parents and fans.  The district can afford it.  It would be if the fans amd parents want to go.  All those athletes need support.

Actually, the district can't afford it. One of the reasons why the district is in trouble with TEA.

3 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Actually, the district can't afford it. One of the reasons why the district is in trouble with TEA.

I was under the impression that some H.I.S.D. is one of the biggest districts in the state, and cover a vast area, they got more tax dollars and lots more funding from the state, especially since most of the district is poverty stricken.   I think I read this a few years back.  

Does the trouble with TEA have to do with the amount of money the district has?

Just now, BMTSoulja1 said:

I was under the impression. That some H.I.S.D. is one of the biggest districts in the state, and cover a vast area, they got more tax dollars and lots more funding from the state, especially since most of the district is poverty stricken.   I think I read this a few years back.  

Does the trouble with TEA have to do with the amount of money the district has?

Just one of the many reasons why TEA has taken over HISD.

6 minutes ago, Guitar Man said:

Well that sure is nice of them to come all the way from Carthage. Wonder what the reasoning is behind it. Gonna be a long game for the Raiders regardless of venue. Carthage is just adding miles on their buses for their state title run. 😂

Lumberton paid for the diesel . 

7 minutes ago, Guitar Man said:

Well that sure is nice of them to come all the way from Carthage. Wonder what the reasoning is behind it. Gonna be a long game for the Raiders regardless of venue. Carthage is just adding miles on their buses for their state title run. 😂

Babin won the coin flip and also changed the day because Carthage’s volleyball will be playing at state Thursday night

On 11/15/2019 at 3:44 PM, SmashMouth said:

I struggled with writing this post since the Train played Wheatley last year in the playoffs. This year’s game setting was very similar to last year. The opponent, Wheatley, with good sized kids and athletic ability made a horrible showing. Not just on the field, but in the sidelines, in the stands, everywhere you looked in their direction. The band. More like the size of a garage band than a school band (helluva loud drummer and cymbal player though). I’d be stretching the truth to say there were a dozen kids in their band. Even less were the number of cheerleaders. No drill team, twirlers, flag corps, etc. to be seen. Parents/Fans probably were fewer than 2 dozen. And their coaches - good lord. They should be ashamed to take their paycheck. They should be ashamed for the product they’re turning out. They should be put in jail for both stealing and child neglect. It was sickening. I felt bad for those athletes and the other kids (band, cheerleaders, etc) that it actually took some of the fun out of the game for me personally. This topic could actually spawn hundreds of pages, but I’ll leave it at this... Kids, parents, coaches, community, be thankful for what you have. I know we all like to come on here and piss and moan (me included) about play calling or down years or so many other real issues that need addressed. But I thank God my kids never had to experience the downright negligence that the Wheatley school and community has dealt out to those kids. It’s about as disgusting thing as I have seen. I literally prayed for those boys on my way home last night. 

Have you ever been to Houston’s 5th Ward? Do you know how many hours those coaches put in and how much they love those kids to keep them off the street? Yes they live in a poverty stricken area and may not have the best coaches, the most amount of players or cheerleaders. But to say these people are negligent or need to be thrown in jail just makes you sound ignorant for multiple reasons. Oh and at least their negligent and incompetent band and drill team shows up to their games on time. 

24 minutes ago, EagleFan2004 said:

Have you ever been to Houston’s 5th Ward? Do you know how many hours those coaches put in and how much they love those kids to keep them off the street? Yes they live in a poverty stricken area and may not have the best coaches, the most amount of players or cheerleaders. But to say these people are negligent or need to be thrown in jail just makes you sound ignorant for multiple reasons. Oh and at least their negligent and incompetent band and drill team shows up to their games on time. 

Well as far as band and drill team goes. They only need one bus to fit band and drill team in. The raider band and raider drill team take 8 busses. Let me remind you in order to get to these games on time they need to leave about 4:30-5. Let me also remind you the buses have to drop high school and middle school students off after school. Oh and football and cheer use 3 buses. Our school does not have enough busses to take 11 buses and drop kids off from school. Think about the realism here before you start jumping to conclusions 

6 hours ago, L-Train11 said:

The lack of community support is what gets me. I witnessed it last night watching Barbers Hill play as well, the other team had 18 fans at kickoff. Just sad.

The ignorance of these posts are astounding to me. Especially the guy who said these coaches should be ashamed to take a paycheck when these coaches deal with so much more than your coaches. As for the community support, it takes money to travel and most of these parents don't work a 9-5. If Coach Surratt of Carthage coached in this environment I don't think he would excel. It's a different battle and headache altogether that only a few can deal with. 

On 11/15/2019 at 3:44 PM, SmashMouth said:

I struggled with writing this post since the Train played Wheatley last year in the playoffs. This year’s game setting was very similar to last year. The opponent, Wheatley, with good sized kids and athletic ability made a horrible showing. Not just on the field, but in the sidelines, in the stands, everywhere you looked in their direction. The band. More like the size of a garage band than a school band (helluva loud drummer and cymbal player though). I’d be stretching the truth to say there were a dozen kids in their band. Even less were the number of cheerleaders. No drill team, twirlers, flag corps, etc. to be seen. Parents/Fans probably were fewer than 2 dozen. And their coaches - good lord. They should be ashamed to take their paycheck. They should be ashamed for the product they’re turning out. They should be put in jail for both stealing and child neglect. It was sickening. I felt bad for those athletes and the other kids (band, cheerleaders, etc) that it actually took some of the fun out of the game for me personally. This topic could actually spawn hundreds of pages, but I’ll leave it at this... Kids, parents, coaches, community, be thankful for what you have. I know we all like to come on here and piss and moan (me included) about play calling or down years or so many other real issues that need addressed. But I thank God my kids never had to experience the downright negligence that the Wheatley school and community has dealt out to those kids. It’s about as disgusting thing as I have seen. I literally prayed for those boys on my way home last night. 

SMH. easy to say from where you're sitting. 

On 11/16/2019 at 10:51 PM, ctown81 said:

SMH. easy to say from where you're sitting. 

You don’t know where I’m sitting or where I’ve been. I’m not going to post the real issues I have with the coaches. If you want to know, I will PM you. The attendance at the home games is just like it was at their playoff game. I’m quite sure some parents had to work. But I’ll bet that’s not the case all the time. I was raised by a single mom with 5 brothers and sisters. Financially we had nothing. Ever. I worked since age 12 and had 2 part-time jobs in high school. I bought my own school clothes, paid for my school lunch because my mom wouldn’t sign up for the free/reduced lunch program. She said that there were other families that weren’t as “fortunate” as us to have 3 people in the family that could work (my mom, my older teenage sister and me). She gave us everything she had. I attended High School at Westbury in Houston my Freshman year. I dropped out of school as a freshman and went to work at a record store on S Post Oak. Rode my bike that I bought babysitting, throwing newspapers and cleaning the grounds and laundromat at our apartment complex. 7 of us in a 2 bedroom apartment, by the way. Started the 9th grade back in the fall at Westbury but soon moved to Lumberton in early September. I was a big kid, and I lifted weights and jogged on my own that summer. The counselor at Lumberton asked me if I ever thought about playing football. I told him yes, and I played football for the first time. I worked all through high school and graduated with honors. Attended Lamar where I also played for coach Ray Alborn. Playing high school football literally brought me from the ashes. I don’t know where YOU came from or what you do now, but I sure as Hell know where I’ve been.