Lumberton 34 Houston Wheatley 17/FINAL

WOSgrad

I struggled with writing this post since the Train played Wheatley last year in the playoffs. This year’s game setting was very similar to last year. The opponent, Wheatley, with good sized kids and athletic ability made a horrible showing. Not just on the field, but in the sidelines, in the stands, everywhere you looked in their direction. The band. More like the size of a garage band than a school band (helluva loud drummer and cymbal player though). I’d be stretching the truth to say there were a dozen kids in their band. Even less were the number of cheerleaders. No drill team, twirlers, flag corps, etc. to be seen. Parents/Fans probably were fewer than 2 dozen. And their coaches - good lord. They should be ashamed to take their paycheck. They should be ashamed for the product they’re turning out. They should be put in jail for both stealing and child neglect. It was sickening. I felt bad for those athletes and the other kids (band, cheerleaders, etc) that it actually took some of the fun out of the game for me personally. This topic could actually spawn hundreds of pages, but I’ll leave it at this... Kids, parents, coaches, community, be thankful for what you have. I know we all like to come on here and piss and moan (me included) about play calling or down years or so many other real issues that need addressed. But I thank God my kids never had to experience the downright negligence that the Wheatley school and community has dealt out to those kids. It’s about as disgusting thing as I have seen. I literally prayed for those boys on my way home last night. 

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

I struggled with writing this post since the Train played Wheatley last year in the playoffs. This year’s game setting was very similar to last year. The opponent, Wheatley, with good sized kids and athletic ability made a horrible showing. Not just on the field, but in the sidelines, in the stands, everywhere you looked in their direction. The band. More like the size of a garage band than a school band (helluva loud drummer and cymbal player though). I’d be stretching the truth to say there were a dozen kids in their band. Even less were the number of cheerleaders. No drill team, twirlers, flag corps, etc. to be seen. Parents/Fans probably were fewer than 2 dozen. And their coaches - good lord. They should be ashamed to take their paycheck. They should be ashamed for the product they’re turning out. They should be put in jail for both stealing and child neglect. It was sickening. I felt bad for those athletes and the other kids (band, cheerleaders, etc) that it actually took some of the fun out of the game for me personally. This topic could actually spawn hundreds of pages, but I’ll leave it at this... Kids, parents, coaches, community, be thankful for what you have. I know we all like to come on here and piss and moan (me included) about play calling or down years or so many other real issues that need addressed. But I thank God my kids never had to experience the downright negligence that the Wheatley school and community has dealt out to those kids. It’s about as disgusting thing as I have seen. I literally prayed for those boys on my way home last night. 

Great post. I was there as well and really thought Wheatley had good size and pretty good speed and could have probably done a whole lot more had they of been better disciplined and coached. Also the  size of the team as far as numbers was small . More like a 2 A school. And the  poor QB didn’t seem to know what he was doing . His passes were all over the place . They were scattered and that reflects bad coaching. 

46 minutes ago, bd04 said:

Great post. I was there as well and really thought Wheatley had good size and pretty good speed and could have probably done a whole lot more had they of been better disciplined and coached. Also the  size of the team as far as numbers was small . More like a 2 A school. And the  poor QB didn’t seem to know what he was doing . His passes were all over the place . They were scattered and that reflects bad coaching. 

I agree on the poor coaching, but the entire scene reflects WAY more than that...

19 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

I'm feeling like all things are perfect in the world of LR? Thanks for your opinion, judgement 

19 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Doesn't get any better with the academics. Wheatley HS has graded an F by TEA for 7 consecutive years and is one of the reasons why HISD has been taken over by a TEA appointed board of managers.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Doesn't get any better with the academics. Wheatley HS has graded an F by TEA for 7 consecutive years and is one of the reasons why HISD has been taken over by a TEA appointed board of managers.

Adding onto this, high school students in HISD can transfer to Lamar, Bellaire or Westside if their zoned school has a failing grade. This is why those 3 HISD schools tend to not only have way nore support but better football teams 

That being said Wheatley had William Jackson III who plays for the Bengals now a few years ago. Kid literally only came off the field at halftime and the end of the game. Of course guys like him are an outlier at a lot of HISD schools except for Lamar, Bellaire, Westside and Heights.

But yeah I feel for thise kids 

Well, remember these are inner city schools. A lot of fans and parents rely on the bus system to get around (they don't own cars or if they do, they probably couldn't make it to Baytown) and the last Park and Ride out of Baytown is at 9 pm.

Also, a lot of these folks are working at the time.  So it is a choice of going to see your kid or working to feed him or her.

A lot of folks that are in these school zones don't enjoy the same community as a Barbers Hill or Lumberton.

Just now, WOSgrad said:

Well, remember these are inner city schools. A lot of fans and parents rely on the bus system to get around (they don't own cars or if they do, they probably couldn't make it to Baytown) and the last Park and Ride out of Baytown is at 9 pm.

Also, a lot of these folks are working at the time.  So it is a choice of going to see your kid or working to feed him or her.

A lot of folks that are in these school zones don't enjoy the same community as a Barbers Hill or Lumberton.

I can guarantee that there are some in Wheatley zone that has never been outside Beltway 8 or maybe even Loop 610.

6 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Well I didn’t consider any of that so I stand corrected. Still, I think it’s sad not only for the players but also for the community/parents as well. Everyone should have the privilege of Friday Night Lights,  “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of HS football” lol