5ad2 125
4ad1 92
4ad2 90
3ad1 106
3ad2 105
2ad1 94
2ad2 87

1078 schools ÷ 9 divisions = almost 120. Not 87, or 252

Then 120 schools ÷ 16 districts = 7 or 8. Not 4, and all 4 make the playoffs.

This

I realize it would make some schools have to travel more, but this would make a 4 team playoff system work.

12 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I take it that you do know about high school sports?

Speaking for myself, I know plenty about high school sports. It's my job.

Hey AAW, I respect your opinion on lots of things, but I’m on the fence about 4 teams going vs only 2. I see good on both sides of the argument. If you have time, could you elaborate on why we should not have 4 teams (other than in a 4 team district, where everyone goes...).

Thanks ahead of time. 

3 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Hey AAW, I respect your opinion on lots of things, but I’m on the fence about 4 teams going vs only 2. I see good on both sides of the argument. If you have time, could you elaborate on why we should not have 4 teams (other than in a 4 team district, where everyone goes...).

Thanks ahead of time. 

Like I have stated, I really do not have a problem with a 4 team playoff system as long as every district has at least 7 teams. I just don't think it's a good system when 0-10, 1-9 teams make the playoffs but 7-3, 6-4 teams do not. That's strictly about geography and not about success on the field. A team should earn it's way to the playoffs and not be automatically placed in it or only required to win one game to get in. UIL should do whatever is necessary to equal out these districts. Then and only then would I view a 4 team playoff system as a valid system.

I do not really want to go back to a two team system but if it's entirely impossible for the UIL to eliminate these 4 or 5 team districts, then I say go back to a 3 team playoff system ( still keeping the divisional districts) and reward the district champ or #1 seed a bye in the first round. This will give some incentive for teams to win district titles and require a team to at least win a district game to qualify.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

It only works if all districts have 7 or more teams. It doesn't work when districts only have 4 or 5 teams. In essence, a team in a 4 team district could forfeit every game in the regular season and still qualify for playoffs. That sir is not a playoff system that works.

Agree.

18 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

How would coaches feel about having a bye week? Good to get rest and be healthy, or bad to lose momentum?

I think that might depend on the coach and the team and the circumstances. If the team is a bit banged up, the coach might like the bye to get everyone healthy. If the team is on a roll, the coach might want to play to keep the momentum going. Just my thought.

3 minutes ago, oldbuc77 said:

I think that might depend on the coach and the team and the circumstances. If the team is a bit banged up, the coach might like the bye to get everyone healthy. If the team is on a roll, the coach might want to play to keep the momentum going. Just my thought.

I agree, but most likely it wouldn't be up to the coach. And it's hard to scout a team that isn't playing.

3 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Like I have stated, I really do not have a problem with a 4 team playoff system as long as every district has at least 7 teams. I just don't think it's a good system when 0-10, 1-9 teams make the playoffs but 7-3, 6-4 teams do not. That's strictly about geography and not about success on the field. A team should earn it's way to the playoffs and not be automatically placed in it or only required to win one game to get in. UIL should do whatever is necessary to equal out these districts. Then and only then would I view a 4 team playoff system as a valid system.

I do not really want to go back to a two team system but if it's entirely impossible for the UIL to eliminate these 4 or 5 team districts, then I say go back to a 3 team playoff system ( still keeping the divisional districts) and reward the district champ or #1 seed a bye in the first round. This will give some incentive for teams to win district titles and require a team to at least win a district game to qualify.

The 3 team with a bye is what I support. Thanks for your insight.