86 Teams make UIL Football Playoffs with losing Records

BADSANTA

There are some states that all teams make the playoffs. Regular season games are just for seeding. Yes I know they are nowhere near the size of the great state of Texas. Yes I agree it is watered down. Lets see how many 3 and 4 seeds advance. I'm sure that there are a few very strong districts that have worthy 3 and 4 seeds. I never see the UIL going back to fewer playoff teams.

4 hours ago, JasperDAWG said:

Well it's happened. 1980 Jasper tied Beaumont Hebert 10-10 In district game. With that being the old "penetrations" days the DAWGS stayed home while Hebert went to playoffs.

I remember that year.  Jasper tied Huntsville in the opening game that season.  Huntsville beat Hebert 16-8 in the  first round on their way to winning State. Those winner take all years left a lot of good teams at home.  Some good Navasota teams stayed home too.  

1 hour ago, Makemineaconvertible said:

Not about shirts and trophies it’s about money. They will expand the field before it decreases 

19 minutes ago, MrUmp1 said:

There are some states that all teams make the playoffs. Regular season games are just for seeding. Yes I know they are nowhere near the size of the great state of Texas. Yes I agree it is watered down. Lets see how many 3 and 4 seeds advance. I'm sure that there are a few very strong districts that have worthy 3 and 4 seeds. I never see the UIL going back to fewer playoff teams.

Oh I was joking.  While it may seem overly watered down (maybe it is).. every year either a 3 or 4 beats a 1 or 2.  That in itself justifies taking 4 teams.  Some districts are strong and some are trash.  In the end.. it only takes two or three rounds to truly weed out the ones that don’t belong.

As for teams in the playoffs with losing records.. you can’t punish them all to spite a few.  Some teams have losing preseason records because they jumped on some giants before district.   Some playoff teams only have winning records because they played cupcakes before district.  You can’t base a playoff team on overall record.. otherwise nobody would play anyone that’s any good.

Like I said.. it works itself out.  The cream always rises to the top.

1 hour ago, MrUmp1 said:

Again, I am ok with 4 teams qualifying as long as each district has a minimum of 7 teams. That way, a team would have to win 2 district games to make the playoffs. If a team went 2-8 but those two wins were in district in a 7 team district, that is fine. They earned their way to the playoffs.

How in the heck does a team that goes 0-10 earn it's playoff spot? Geography

1 minute ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

If 4 seeds didn't belong no one could ever explain how Decatur ended up in the state semi-finals last year. I'm for 4 teams in the playoffs but the UIL needs to find someway to eliminate the 4 and 5 team districts.

I would even be okay with 6 team districts. The 4 and 5 team districts need to be done with if you are going to stay a 4 team playoff system.

20 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I would even be okay with 6 team districts. The 4 and 5 team districts need to be done with if you are going to stay a 4 team playoff system.

I agree, they got to find a way to make 6 team districts work on the lower levels especially. The beatdowns some of the 4 seeds take in 4a down would be reduced. 

You really wanna complain about the UIL wanting to make more money? Isn't that how capitalism works? Who cares about the UIL wanting to make more money. Next time you get a raise, find a better paying job, or come up with a genius money making idea, don't take advantage of it. You're just doing it for the money. People ALWAYS find a reason to complain about something. Let's focus on the positives. It's awesome for the kids to experience a playoff atmosphere. If I am a senior of 4 seed starting down the barrel of a 1 seed who will likely win the state championship, I'll take that whooping rather than hanging up the pads and moving on to off-season. Losing record or not. It is something those kids will take with them forever. The UIL may have it's motives, but I assure you opinions from grown dudes, who quite frankly, don't know anything about high school sports, don't really hold a candle to the experience these kids get to take part in. BTW 4 seeds have taken out 1 seeds before and it will happen again. Stop complaining and start getting excited. IT'S PLAYOFF TIME BABY!!

11 minutes ago, Guitar Man said:

You really wanna complain about the UIL wanting to make more money? Isn't that how capitalism works? Who cares about the UIL wanting to make more money. Next time you get a raise, find a better paying job, or come up with a genius money making idea, don't take advantage of it. You're just doing it for the money. People ALWAYS find a reason to complain about something. Let's focus on the positives. It's awesome for the kids to experience a playoff atmosphere. If I am a senior of 4 seed starting down the barrel of a 1 seed who will likely win the state championship, I'll take that whooping rather than hanging up the pads and moving on to off-season. Losing record or not. It is something those kids will take with them forever. The UIL may have it's motives, but I assure you opinions from grown dudes, who quite frankly, don't know anything about high school sports, don't really hold a candle to the experience these kids get to take part in. BTW 4 seeds have taken out 1 seeds before and it will happen again. Stop complaining and start getting excited. IT'S PLAYOFF TIME BABY!!

I take it that you do know about high school sports?

Speaking for myself, I know plenty about high school sports. It's my job.

1 hour ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

If 4 seeds didn't belong no one could ever explain how Decatur ended up in the state semi-finals last year. I'm for 4 teams in the playoffs but the UIL needs to find someway to eliminate the 4 and 5 team districts.

Decatur made the semifinals last year because they play in Region 1. And they realistically only had to beat their own district champion (WF Hirschi) to get there, whom they already beat in district. 

41 minutes ago, Guitar Man said:

By your argument, where do you draw the line then? Why not have 6 teams, or 8. Or we could just say everyone makes the playoffs. That would make the UIL even more money.

The reason we “get excited” for playoff times as you stated in your last sentence is because it’s a special time where the teams who earned it get to keep playing. The more you let in, the less special it becomes, the less exciting it gets.

31 minutes ago, yepyep said:

Decatur made the semifinals last year because they play in Region 1. And they realistically only had to beat their own district champion (WF Hirschi) to get there, whom they already beat in district. 

4A Division 1 is bad in region 1 I'll say that but even still finishing 4th and making it that far is still a heck of an accomplishment

11 hours ago, Guitar Man said:

Well then the UIL is missing it's chance.  If it's only about money they should let every team in and do a double elimination tournament.  Heck.. let's play two games a week.  Or three.  Who cares about what's good for students and schools let's just make it happen.

9 hours ago, Guitar Man said:

I think the 4 team system works and should be the cap. Yeah, some teams have losing records and some get blown out in round 1. In the end, though, It gives teams in a tough district a chance to make a dent while in other systems, they wouldn't have a chance. 

It only works if all districts have 7 or more teams. It doesn't work when districts only have 4 or 5 teams. In essence, a team in a 4 team district could forfeit every game in the regular season and still qualify for playoffs. That sir is not a playoff system that works.

16 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

It only works if all districts have 7 or more teams. It doesn't work when districts only have 4 or 5 teams. In essence, a team in a 4 team district could forfeit every game in the regular season and still qualify for playoffs. That sir is not a playoff system that works.

This^

And if the UIL cannot figure out a way to eliminate the 4-5 team districts, then I say go back to 3 teams qualifying and reward the district champ a first round bye. At least that way a district championship means something.

Speaking of district champs, in this current system, I think district champs in all classifications (not just 6A and 5A) should host the first round game. Reward the teams for that accomplishment.

31 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Teams in each division.

6A 252
5ad1 127
5ad2 125
4ad1 92
4ad2 90
3ad1 106
3ad2 105
2ad1 94
2ad2 87

1078 schools ÷ 9 divisions = almost 120. Not 87, or 252

Then 120 schools ÷ 16 districts = 7 or 8. Not 4, and all 4 make the playoffs.