FB Willowridge vs Crosby

Cougar14.2

Somehow Crosby finishes second in the district after a 1-3 start and gets rewarded with a home playoff game at Cougar Stadium formerly known as “The Jungle”. Willowridge squeaked by Houston Sterling 51-48 in the season finale to secure 3rd place from 11-5A. Willowridge also played Manvel to a 41-49 count earlier in district play and led a good portion of the game until about midway through the 4th quarter. 

Very good athletes for Willowridge. They have a very good scrambling 6’-4” qb named Rufus Scott who should end up with some FBS offers after his junior year and an electric sophomore rb named Jamarcus Buckner who rushed for over 1,000 yards during the regular season. Scott isn’t the best passer but he has three good receivers he gets the ball to pretty effectively. They’re big up front on the o-line but I think it’s about as favorable a matchup you could ask for considering the options. I think Crosby would’ve struggled a lot more with Houston Sterling’s read option due to them having what I think is the 2nd best rb in the region. 

If Crosby can keep the pre-snap penalties down and limit turnovers I really like our chances. Last couple of weeks Crosby looks like they’ve developed the RPO game and Branch looks more and more comfortable. I like our matchups on the offensive side of the ball, especially with #5 playing both ways now but this game will come down to Crosby getting off the field on 3rd down defensively. Have to limit the qb killing you with his legs. 

I don’t know what to make of this district we are playing. They either have no defense or there offenses are so good that no one can stop the other. I’m hoping that our district introduces them to defense and we can stop them enough to pull out victory. We will soon see.

51 minutes ago, BHFAN said:

I don’t know what to make of this district we are playing. They either have no defense or there offenses are so good that no one can stop the other. I’m hoping that our district introduces them to defense and we can stop them enough to pull out victory. We will soon see.

It’s a little bit of both. Their defenses aren’t great, I think everybody except Nederland has a chance to score 30+. What they do have is elite offensive players in the district though, we don’t have one FBS commit in the district at the offensive skill positions. BH is going to face the best rb in Houston ISD in their matchup and Sterling also has a solid qb with some ridiculously fast receivers. Our defenses look better because our offenses aren’t as explosive so you get longer times of possessions and less points. If Crosby and BH are going to win they’re Probably going to need to 35+

On 11/9/2019 at 9:19 PM, Cougtalk said:

For reference Willowridge played Dulles earlier in the year. Dulles is a fast and small defense that’s been fundamentally sound most the year. They lost that game and scored like 10pts. 

this game comes down to what does Crosby do on defense. 

Watched ww last week. They are not bad however not as good as people think. Come out and support you will not be disappointed! #GO COOG'S

4 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

Old 21-5a 2-0 vs Old 22-5a 0-2

seems like we are just skipping the first round of playoffs in the pre two division years. 

That's exactly what we're doing. We used to play with about 252 schools in the division so in the second round you would get a bunch of district champions playing each other similar to what you're going to see in region 3 6A-D1 this year. Now we only play with about 122-126 football schools in the division so you get a lot more watered down product in the playoffs. It helps this area because our teams aren't as good but effects a team like Cedar Park because they can't use their enrollment advantage in the D2 playoffs anymore. Same for a school like Angleton who could probably win the region in 5A-D2 but won't even make the playoffs in their district. For this area splitting the divisions was a God-send though.

Willowridge's regular season leaders:

Passing: Rufus Scott - 119-195, 1774 yards, 22tds and 6 ints/  496 rushing yards and 11tds - Best game was Manvel where he was 16-25, 300 yards with 4tds and 0 ints

Rushing: Jamarcus Buckner - 122 carries for 1,078 yards and 8tds - Best game was Manvel where he had 21 carries for 240 yard and 1td

Receiving: Basically a two man show with very similar production - Lidarian Carter/Marquise Garrett combined for 90 recs, 1,508 yards and 21tds. They also have another slot speedster who's accumulated just shy of 500 yards

The Willowridge defense looks getable but they've also been gotten by players this district doesn't have. I think the offense will have some efficiency with Dunn coming back but Crosby is going to have to win this one in the front seven on the defensive side of the ball.

6 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Willowridge's regular season leaders:

Passing: Rufus Scott - 119-195, 1774 yards, 22tds and 6 ints/  496 rushing yards and 11tds - Best game was Manvel where he was 16-25, 300 yards with 4tds and 0 ints

Rushing: Jamarcus Buckner - 122 carries for 1,078 yards and 8tds - Best game was Manvel where he had 21 carries for 240 yard and 1td

Receiving: Basically a two man show with very similar production - Lidarian Carter/Marquise Garrett combined for 90 recs, 1,508 yards and 21tds. They also have another slot speedster who's accumulated just shy of 500 yards

The Willowridge defense looks getable but they've also been gotten by players this district doesn't have. I think the offense will have some efficiency with Dunn coming back but Crosby is going to have to win this one in the front seven on the defensive side of the ball.

Buckner kid is small and hard to see. 

3 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

Buckner kid is small and hard to see. 

He reminds me a lot of the kid Earnest Patterson Crosby faced when they played Brenham a while back. I think he has a little too end though, he broke free and should’ve had a 99 yards td run on Manvel but ran down after about 70 yards. 

3 hours ago, GURU said:

WW everything looks great on paper. They are not that good. The qb is tall atheletic not nothing to fear. Rb ok fast shifty. Defense small. 

FBW is better than Crosby at every offensive skill position except maybe qb depending on how Branch plays. Their receivers also catch the ball. I agree their defense is a little undersized but saying they’re not that good is not really a plus for Crosby this year. We lost to Vidor who isn’t good at all. 

30 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

FBW is better than Crosby at every offensive skill position except maybe qb depending on how Branch plays. Their receivers also catch the ball. I agree their defense is a little undersized but saying they’re not that good is not really a plus for Crosby this year. We lost to Vidor who isn’t good at all. 

Oh man, you’re going to get a tongue lashing for your last sentence. Here it comes. 

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I saw them play. Will you be @ the game friday??? If Im wrong feel free to tell me. We just scored 600 yds of offense, beat png, nederland, Lee took #2 in district and you are telling me about a team thats @ home that I watched with my own eyes not read stats... Wow! 

41 minutes ago, GURU said:

I saw them play. Will you be @ the game friday??? If Im wrong feel free to tell me. We just scored 600 yards of offense, beat png, nederland, Lee took #2 in district and you are telling me about a team thats @ home that I watched with my own eyes not read stats... Wow! 

How do you score 600 yards of offense?  

Your cracking me up.

38 minutes ago, GURU said:

Stop talking 2 me dude. And get a life

How comical. So you’ve already been told by the ADMINISTRATION that you cannot dictate who can and cannot talk to you.

I was asking rhetorical question to the membership .  But if you would like to explain to the membership on how you can score 600 yds of offense I’m sure they want to hear your explanation. 

I might just come to the Crosby game Friday and sit by you.  I’m sure you wouldn’t be hard to figure out.

Please don’t report me for making conversation.