Teams in our area that have a shot at a state title?!! Opinions

Football45

Its the best time of the football year. Playoffs.  What are some teams in our area that you think have a legitimate shot at a state title. Heres mine

North Shore

Lufkin

Newton

Diboll

San Augustine 

These come to mind off the bat. That im thinking. . Not leaving anyone out these are just my picks

WOS if they can stop the turnovers and offense start blocking more

Newton haves a shot at it but after the gilmer game idk

Lufkin can have an shot but they going have to face Longview Maybe in the fourth round and beat them but I'm sorry to say I don't think that going to happen doe

North shore is a maybe they might meet Katy tigers in the fourth round and tigers beat them earlier in the season

Diboll maybe semifinals but not state 

This is mines WOS , Newton , San Augustine, North Shore 

35 minutes ago, MustangNation#1 said:

Lufkin can have an shot but they going have to face Longview Maybe in the fourth round and beat them but I'm sorry to say I don't think that going to happen doe

North shore is a maybe they might meet Katy tigers in the fourth round and tigers beat them earlier in the season

Diboll is real. They have some beef, everywhere 

35 minutes ago, MustangNation#1 said:

Lufkin is 5A Division 1

3 hours ago, MustangNation#1 said:

If diboll makes it to the semifinals they will roll who ever comes out of region 4

28 minutes ago, lionpride08 said:

If diboll makes it to the semifinals they will roll who ever comes out of region 4

I do like their chances in the Semifinals if they make it there. Diboll’s biggest challenge will be surviving Region 3. With likely matchups of Buna, Yoe, Grandview (if they get through Rockdale and EC), then Troy/Whitney/Crockett/Franklin/or another hot team in the top bracket, they will have been battle tested going into the Semis. 
I do believe Diboll will have to win 1 or 2 games passing the ball to advance in Region 3. 

7 minutes ago, EAGLEFOREVER said:

Y’all need to set #24(I think) free. He’s the defensive lineman that plays running back too. He’s a load to stop.

Yeah that’s the younger Gums brother. He’s a big boy! If a team lacks depth on defense it’s hard to sustain the constant pounding by the big backs from Diboll for 4 qrts. 

2 minutes ago, JasperDAWG said:

Hey Woodshed! How ya been my Lumberjack friend. Still rolling over there in Diboll I been seeing. I am pulling for yall to make a deep run. 

By now, I am sure you know that ole girl AEIOU aka back that thang up cardinal makes dumb football posts. All the while living up to her real name PITA.

Haha 😂 yeah I’ve been here long enough to know who’s posts to take seriously.

We are looking good right now and I hope we are able to make some program history with a deep run. I’m pulling for them Dawgs as well and I hope Jasper and Diboll are both still playing in December. 

4 hours ago, Woodshed said:

I do like their chances in the Semifinals if they make it there. Diboll’s biggest challenge will be surviving Region 3. With likely matchups of Buna, Yoe, Grandview (if they get through Rockdale and EC), then Troy/Whitney/Crockett/Franklin/or another hot team in the top bracket, they will have been battle tested going into the Semis. 
I do believe Diboll will have to win 1 or 2 games passing the ball to advance in Region 3. 

I agree about needing the passing game to open it up.  If we are lucky enough to make it past the 2nd round, I believe there’s going to be Diboll-Jasper type game, that ended 14-9.  Diboll did just enough to get the win.  I do think Diboll does a good job at playing to the QB’s strengths, and giving him the best chance at success.  They like to play it safe, which is not necessarily a bad thing if you want to limit turnovers, but at some point, they’re going to need to take more risks.  Don’t want to look ahead though, Buna is up and hope it’s not as close as last season.  They never backed down.  Anyone know what they have this year?

7 hours ago, ballwatch said:

I agree about needing the passing game to open it up.  If we are lucky enough to make it past the 2nd round, I believe there’s going to be Diboll-Jasper type game, that ended 14-9.  Diboll did just enough to get the win.  I do think Diboll does a good job at playing to the QB’s strengths, and giving him the best chance at success.  They like to play it safe, which is not necessarily a bad thing if you want to limit turnovers, but at some point, they’re going to need to take more risks.  Don’t want to look ahead though, Buna is up and hope it’s not as close as last season.  They never backed down.  Anyone know what they have this year?

ALLEN

Looking at brackets for some unseen reason one of these 3 teams should be in a SC game.we know w.o,silsbee,jasper will eventually have to play each other.one of them will survive.and nothing else in region 3 or 4 really jumps out at u. But just what I thought would happen region 1 and 2 has the hardest road.Ppl are quick to put PG in title game.im telling u waco connally, Sunnyvale,greenway these teams are legit.and ik gilmer would luv to play PG again. Alot of question will start to be answered after next week. 

16 hours ago, JasperDAWG said:

My Purple friend I agree. Lol last night at our game I was chatting with some fellow DAWG fans who don't think the Lumberjacks are contenders. To me (And it's not just because they beat us) I think with the way they are built and their style of play that they are serious contenders.

Unfortunately, though my DAWGS played their best defensive game of year last night I (it bothers me to say this, I would LOVE to be proved wrong)dont think we are gonna make the run that people seem to think we are going to.😕

I agree with your assessment. Last year's team had a better shot than this one does. We don't get calls historically to begin with because we've usually had issues with penalties and turnovers in the playoffs. Those mistakes always hurt us in the end and unless this team grows up really quick, it's gonna bite us. We'll be fine against H-J, but Bellville showed last year that they can play with us. If they make it to next week, we're gonna have to play well to advance any further. 

21 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

San Augustine, WB, Jasper. 

I'm trying to figure out which West Texas 6A & 5A team or teams could make a run this year. 

I saw SA play Tenaha and they are VERY good but have they played anybody besides Hemphill? 

My picks are SA, Jasper, WB, Diboll. Newton has a shot, but it’s a long one, imo.

6 hours ago, Bulldogs92 said:

I agree with your assessment. Last year's team had a better shot than this one does. We don't get calls historically to begin with because we've usually had issues with penalties and turnovers in the playoffs. Those mistakes always hurt us in the end and unless this team grows up really quick, it's gonna bite us. We'll be fine against H-J, but Bellville showed last year that they can play with us. If they make it to next week, we're gonna have to play well to advance any further. 

Hopefully we will see y’all in the 2nd round.