West Orange Stark vs Huntington

monknuk

This is the hidden content, please

It appears that 86 teams with sub-.500 records have made the
11-man playoffs, topped, in a manner of speaking, by Reagan County, Iraan and Era, each at 0-10. There are three 1-9 teams, a 1-8 team and eight 2-8 teams.

7 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

11-man playoffs, topped, in a manner of speaking, by Reagan County, Iraan and Era, each at 0-10. There are three 1-9 teams, a 1-8 team and eight 2-8 teams.

Wow. That's worse than I thought 

8 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

That's hilarious 🤣

We're playing 1-8 Hardin-Jefferson and no offense to Hawks fans, but it's laughable that teams like this make the playoffs. Back when I was in high school, we had a pretty good 7-3 team that lost close games to WOS and PNG that didn't get in because we came in third in our district. We came up short and didn't earn it, but that's the way it should be. I get that it's cool for kids to have the opportunity to play in the games, but it's called the playoffs for a reason. 

24 minutes ago, JasperDAWG said:

Even better/worse.  Jasper has got to be (I would think) the only team to go undefeated in predistrict and district  season games  and not make the playoffs. 

In 1980 that is exactly what happened when we tied Beaumont Hebert 10-10 (the old "penetration" days). Hebert went to playoffs and the DAWGS  stayed home.

1985 penetration rule advanced WOS to the area game.WOS/Baytown Sterling tied 14-14.

1 hour ago, JasperDAWG said:

Even better/worse.  Jasper has got to be (I would think) the only team to go undefeated in predistrict and district  season games  and not make the playoffs. 

In 1980 that is exactly what happened when we tied Beaumont Hebert 10-10 (the old "penetration" days). Hebert went to playoffs and the DAWGS  stayed home.

And that is not all the story.  Jasper also tied Huntsville.  Huntsville beat Hebert, and went on to win the state championship.  Never long for the good ole days when only one team made it out of district.  In Jasper's only trip to the state finals, they were the third place team out of their district.

1 hour ago, j_dog said:

And that is not all the story.  Jasper also tied Huntsville.  Huntsville beat Hebert, and went on to win the state championship.  Never long for the good ole days when only one team made it out of district.  In Jasper's only trip to the state finals, they were the third place team out of their district.

I asked Coach Walkoviak once who his best team was and he said it was that one. We never came close to beating Hebert in any other year. We had Eugene Seale and Willie Cade on that defense among others.