Hardin-Jefferson 26 Liberty 7/FINAL

WOSgrad

I am happy for Hardin-Jefferson for making the playoffs. It's been a rough, tough season for those guys (injuries and losing close games)

But, here is just another reason why I dislike how the UIL has made the playoffs these days. Yet another 1 win team is in the playoffs. I don't know of any sport (professional, college, high school) that has one win teams make the playoffs. Sad, truly sad.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I am happy for Hardin-Jefferson for making the playoffs. It's been a rough, tough season for those guys (injuries and losing close games)

But, here is just another reason why I dislike how the UIL has made the playoffs these days. Yet another 1 win team is in the playoffs. I don't know of any sport (professional, college, high school) that has one win teams make the playoffs. Sad, truly sad.

If it was like the old days where only the DC advanced, y’all would be sitting at home again. 
More kids get to experience the playoffs and the best teams get an easy matchup in round one. I’m okay with it. 

14 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

If it was like the old days where only the DC advanced, y’all would be sitting at home again. 
More kids get to experience the playoffs and the best teams get an easy matchup in round one. I’m okay with it. 

I have always liked the two team playoff system. Never have liked the four team. Particularly when you have some 4, 5 and 6 team districts. It only requires a team to win one or two games out of 10. In some cases, 0 wins. (Houston Scarborough made playoffs a few years ago with an 0-10 record) That's ridiculous.

47 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I have always liked the two team playoff system. Never have liked the four team. Particularly when you have some 4, 5 and 6 team districts. It only requires a team to win one or two games out of 10. In some cases, 0 wins. (Houston Scarborough made playoffs a few years ago with an 0-10 record) That's ridiculous.

Half the teams making it from a district would be okay with me.  2 from a 4 team district, 3 from a 6, 4 from an 8.  But creating a playoff bracket would be a logistical nightmare.  

Scarborough at 0-10 was the first one that I thought of. 
It bugs me more with smaller (4-5 team districts). Even 6 team districts like ours are pushing it. 
Then again in ‘16 Carthage was third in their district and won the state championship. 
Wait... they knocked y’all out in the first round that year didn’t they? NOW I see why you are against it! 
😂🤣😂

10 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

It bugs me more with smaller (4-5 team districts). Even 6 team districts like ours are pushing it. 
Then again in ‘16 Carthage was third in their district and won the state championship. 
Wait... they knocked y’all out in the first round that year didn’t they? NOW I see why you are against it! 
😂🤣😂

If you have 1 or 2 team playoff system, a lot of teams could start dribbling sooner, thats for sure.

11 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

😂🤣😂

My dislike of the current playoff system has nothing to do with Silsbee. But you already knew that.

Always trying to dis the Tigers when you can.

My point is I think it's a complete joke to have a team make the playoffs without winning a single game or just one game but yet there are teams that won 6 maybe even 7 games and do not qualify.

I agree with bullets. I wish there was a way to adjust the playoff qualifiers by how many teams are in a district. 4 team district, 2 go. 5 team, 3 go, 6 team, 3 go. Only allow districts of 7 teams or more to send 4. That way, you have to win at least 2 district games to make playoffs.

If the UIL wants to keep the 4 team playoff system, then they should do whatever is necessary to make every single district a minimum 7 team district.  I realize that this would cause more travel for some schools but the UIL has never really been concerned with schools travel situations anyways.

38 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

If the UIL wants to keep the 4 team playoff system, then they should do whatever is necessary to make every single district a minimum 7 team district.  I realize that this would cause more travel for some schools but the UIL has never really been concerned with schools travel situations anyways.

I agree. A 5 team district with 4 teams going to the playoffs is a joke. District should start week 3 of the season. I'd like to see a Silsbee, WOS, Jasper, LCM, Lumberton, Bridge City, and Hardin Jefferson district. 

Yes

I like the four team system , more kids and fans being able to take part. And it gives the better teams a chance to not get so beat up in the first round or two, kinda like what pre district is suppose to be. And just think how much better BC is gonna be next year with that extra week of practice. lol

We could go back to the old format with two go to big school and two go small school, but seemed like every year a small school ended up in the big school bracket.So look at it this way , it gives us something to argue about.

19 minutes ago, JaspD55 said:

I like the four team system , more kids and fans being able to take part. And it gives the better teams a chance to not get so beat up in the first round or two, kinda like what pre district is suppose to be. And just think how much better BC is gonna be next year with that extra week of practice. lol

We could go back to the old format with two go to big school and two go small school, but seemed like every year a small school ended up in the big school bracket.So look at it this way , it gives us something to argue about.

I will always believe a playoff system is flawed if it allows teams with 0 wins or just 1 win to qualify. That's a complete farce.