When does the program become the new coaches?

AHUDDLESTON

1 minute ago, AHUDDLESTON said:

So, in a small school (no spring football), how long does it take for a football program to be considered the new head coach's? For example, if you come in the previous April , does it take a full year before the new head coach gets the Credit/blame?

LOL! For some folks around here, you get credit, or more likely blame, as soon as you are announced.

Me personally, you should see improvement after the first season.

1 minute ago, WOSgrad said:

LOL! For some folks around here, you get credit, or more likely blame, as soon as you are announced.

This^

After the first season, but not everybody sees it that way 

6 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

4 minutes ago, NetCat said:

This^

After the first season, but not everybody sees it that way 

Y'all are right. Depends on your starting point though. I can see a coach needing a 2 season "buffer" if the situation is pretty bad...

Just now, Hooohead.com said:

I would say going into 3rd season...your Freshmen will be juniors and you should know what you have and whom you have molded to be an asset....

It will be a rare community that gives a coach 3 years though. Most demand results NOW! 😂

Might depend on Coach’s, and the teams, past record, and his pay.  Westerberg, at Barbers Hill was getting some bad post on here right off the bat.  Now, not so much.  Fans of a bad program will be more tolerant.  You get named HC at WOS or Carthage, you better come out of the gate kicking booty.  There’s a lot of variables.

A coach owns it in the first year.  I usually give first the year a pass.  Got to have time to implement the program.  Second year should show marked improvement.  The third year should be challenging for a District title.  But, with that being said, it does take some elite coaches  more than three years to have their team in a position to challenge for a State Title. 

2 minutes ago, Reagan said:

A coach owns it in the first year.  I usually give first the year a pass.  Got to have time to implement the program.  Second year should show marked improvement.  The third year should be challenging for a District title.

Your response might be because you follow a tradition rich school.  Take a team like Huntington.  Heck, a Coach that could just get a winning record for several years, could be Mayor (King) of that town.  😂😂😂

7 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

The 2nd season. When those seniors from 3 years of old coaching have graduated.

I tend to agree with this in some points.  Our SR class this year had no other head coach’s. But they have bought in and we look a lot different then we did last year.  Still a ways to go.  No if there was a lot of negativity and no buy in from the SR class then yea it wouldn’t happen till they are gone. 

57 minutes ago, GCMNation5 said:

I tend to agree with this in some points.  Our SR class this year had no other head coach’s. But they have bought in and we look a lot different then we did last year.  Still a ways to go.  No if there was a lot of negativity and no buy in from the SR class then yea it wouldn’t happen till they are gone. 

In the 1st year, senior leadership is almost as much a factor as the coaching change itself. Many people discount how much effect seniors have on lower classes in practice and attitude. You are right that seniors buying into the system can go a long way for the new program. 

23 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

In the 1st year, senior leadership is almost as much a factor as the coaching change itself. Many people discount how much effect seniors have on lower classes in practice and attitude. You are right that seniors buying into the system can go a long way for the new program. 

No doubt about it.  Unfortunately we have been part of it twice. One of my boys is a Sr this year. His sophomore year was a whole new staff and first year. Sr leadership was bad and it showed. Fast forward to now. He is a Sr with new staff again and his SR class leadership has paved the way.  It’s been total night and day.  

3 minutes ago, GCMNation5 said:

No doubt about it.  Unfortunately we have been part of it twice. One of my boys is a Sr this year. His sophomore year was a whole new staff and first year. Sr leadership was bad and it showed. Fast forward to now. He is a Sr with new staff again and his SR class leadership has paved the way.  It’s been total night and day.  

Congrats on raising a young man who can accept change at a young age, and show leadership as an upper classmen.