Huntington @ Jasper

Bulldogs92

It's pointless to really dive too deep into actually previewing this game because the Bulldogs can literally name the score (DCTF has them favored by 65). I'm wondering if anyone is doing anything over at Huntington to make them competitive. I've always heard that they don't care about football, but why is that? Why field a team when you're okay with being cannon fodder to every team you line up against?

15 minutes ago, j_dog said:

When you start taking a game for granted, that's when you go down.  I do feel sorry for Huntington fans.  Good folks there; and they deserve better.

I agree. I was happy to see them finally make the playoffs last year, but unfortunately they are back to really struggling. It's gotta be hard on those kids. Huntington was won only 45 games in 37 seasons. I don't know how they've kept it going, but you have to tip your hat to their resilience.

52 minutes ago, Bulldogs92 said:

I agree. I was happy to see them finally make the playoffs last year, but unfortunately they are back to really struggling. It's gotta be hard on those kids. Huntington was won only 45 games in 37 seasons. I don't know how they've kept it going, but you have to tip your hat to their resilience.

Is it the overall coaching, culture, or the proverbial “water” that   hampers their success? I know it’s tough for a team that struggles annually to turn around. That’s the often asked question of “how does one turn a program around?” Especially playing teams like jasper. There are teams like that all around the area. 

2 minutes ago, PdaddyBball said:

Is it the overall coaching, culture, or the proverbial “water” that   hampers their success? I know it’s tough for a team that struggles annually to turn around. That’s the often asked question of “how does one turn a program around?” Especially playing teams like jasper. There are teams like that all around the area. 

I agree with you, but they could schedule winnable games against smaller schools prior to district play. Maybe they do that to some extent. It's true that there are a lot of schools that are struggling, but most of them have been good at some point in their history. Huntington never has. It'll happen eventually, but when? Lumberton was like that too for a long time, but they eventually had winning seasons, playoff appearances, etc. 

4 hours ago, shooter flatch said:

Red Devils are still in the playoff hunt.  All they need to do is beat Tarkington at home and they should be in.

Tarkington isn't that bad this year. They might get the third spot. I really wish the UIL would put a stop to the four team playoff format. It makes a mockery of the whole thing. 

On 10/14/2019 at 3:39 PM, j_dog said:

When you start taking a game for granted, that's when you go down.  I do feel sorry for Huntington fans.  Good folks there; and they deserve better.

You deserve what you demand. This is advice for lots of teams. Good coaches, good parents, dedicated athletes and community support. If you lack in any of those elements, you stand to lose strength. If the good folks of (insert town name) want better, they have to produce better.