Russia benefits from Turkey invasion of Syria

Law Man

Russia has troops on the ground in Syria. Russian air strikes are primarily directed against non-IS rebel fighting the Assad government. The Kremlin had accused the U.S. of using our campaign against IS as a way to slow Russian and Syrian military advances. Moscow wants to keep Assad who is Russia’s  closest ally in the Middle East in power. Russia will now be able to secure its military influence in the region. Russia also supports Hezbollah who opposes Israel. This should concern us all. 

So let me see if I understand.  Turkey is taking over part of Syria, whose leader is Assad and the Russians, and this is helping Russia how?   Looks like it’s possible that Turkey May take over the whole country and dispose of Assad and the Russians.  Do you think they want to take on the Turks?   Sorry, but I don’t see where this aids Russia whatsoever.

12 minutes ago, Hagar said:

So let me see if I understand.  Turkey is taking over part of Syria, whose leader is Assad and the Russians, and this is helping Russia how?   Looks like it’s possible that Turkey May take over the whole country and dispose of Assad and the Russians.  Do you think they want to take on the Turks?   Sorry, but I don’t see where this aids Russia whatsoever.

Me. Hagar, military involvement in Syria is a test for Russia’s ties in the region. The decision to intervene in Syria allows us to make several conclusions about Russian Foreign policy in the Middle East. Moscow is not afraid of making bold decisions. It is not clear what Moscow is trying to achieve and how it’s decision to intervene in Syria. By demonstrating this boldness Moscow forces other players in the Middle East to react whether or not they are ready. The first thing to note is more consistent effort by Russia to make the operation in Syria transparent. 

1 hour ago, Law Man said:

Syria’s Bashar al-Assad is Russia’s only ally in the Mediterranean. Syria was a Soviet client in the days of the Soviet Union; it is the only Soviet client in the area that Russia has managed to maintain.

But my point, Law Man, Turkey invading Syria in no way, that I can see, aids Rusdia.  Russia has been there, and they’re still there, so the title of your thread doesn’t appear correct or pertinent.   Feel free to correct me if you disagree.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

But my point, Law Man, Turkey invading Syria in no way, that I can see, aids Rusdia.  Russia has been there, and they’re still there, so the title of your thread doesn’t appear correct or pertinent.   Feel free to correct me if you disagree.

U.S. backed Kurds now seek alliance with Syria and Russia. Mr. Hagar, this is what Senator Lindsey Graham and others did not want to see. If you do a little research you will see and understand.

8 hours ago, Law Man said:

U.S. backed Kurds now seek alliance with Syria and Russia. Mr. Hagar, this is what Senator Lindsey Graham and others did not want to see. If you do a little research you will see and understand.

859 suspected affiliates of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS) overtook and fled a detention facility on Sunday after attacking guards. The Kurdish administration Syria said in a statement. 

President Trump confirmed nuclear weapons are being housed in Turkey. He has done a good job with the economy but his foreign  affair policies are taken us down a road of no return. General Mattis should have been replaced by a General and not  Boeing Corporate Patrick Shanahan.

4 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

This is the hidden content, please

This is good news.  However, there are other players involved besides the Kurds and Turkey.  The Syrian regime, and Russia, which supports it.  After the U.S. withdrew completely from the region and left the Syrian Kurds without a partner. Syrian Kurds made a pact with Russia and Assad. This gave Assad permission to move into parts of the territory that the Kurds with American help, retook from ISIS.  I pray it all works out and that ISIS doesn't regroup. Russia is not to be trusted and at this point no one knows the end game. I commend the administration for stopping the blood shed.

On 10/17/2019 at 8:05 PM, Law Man said:

This is good news.  However, there are other players involved besides the Kurds and Turkey.  The Syrian regime, and Russia, which supports it.  After the U.S. withdrew completely from the region and left the Syrian Kurds without a partner. Syrian Kurds made a pact with Russia and Assad. This gave Assad permission to move into parts of the territory that the Kurds with American help, retook from ISIS.  I pray it all works out and that ISIS doesn't regroup. Russia is not to be trusted and at this point no one knows the end game. I commend the administration for stopping the blood shed.

Russia has accomplished its mission in Syria. Turkey and Russia have become ally’s. Russia is THE super power in the Middle East. 

Russia can’t hurt the economy in Turkey, we can.  Don’t be swayed just because you hate Trump.

There is one superpower, us. It’s refreshing to me that we finally have a President that acts like he knows this.

I am also pleased that we have someone tired of losing the lives of our finest over other folks problems that will never be solved.

9 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Russia can’t hurt the economy in Turkey, we can.  Don’t be swayed just because you hate Trump.

There is one superpower, us. It’s refreshing to me that we finally have a President that acts like he knows this.

I am also pleased that we have someone tired of losing the lives of our finest over other folks problems that will never be solved.

Mr. LumbertonFan, I don't hate Trump.  I along with other Republicans in the House and Senate strongly disagree with his foreign policies. Explain why he is leaving American Soldiers in Syria to protect oil?  Why are additional soldiers being sent to Saudi Arabia over other folks problems ?  Russia wasn't interested in Turkey. The big picture was Syria. Russia was only selling arms to Turkey but now they are an ally.  Mitch McConnell finally realized what was happening.  ISIS has not been defeated. We are no longer welcomed in Iraq but our soldiers have been relocated there. How can you be pleased with losing lives of our finest when all lives matter.  ISIS , Russia, Syria North Korea, China and Iran are our problem.  We are not the superpower. We are among the elite but we are no longer the one superpower. 

On 10/13/2019 at 7:23 PM, Hagar said:

I would like to know. Did you support President Obama when he proposed the same thing? As I recall, he listened to his advisers and backtracked. I also recall republicans rebuking him severely for playing into Russia’s hands. The hypocrisy here is palpable. Your crook of a president is going down.

30 minutes ago, UT alum said:

I would like to know. Did you support President Obama when he proposed the same thing? As I recall, he listened to his advisers and backtracked. I also recall republicans rebuking him severely for playing into Russia’s hands. The hypocrisy here is palpable. Your crook of a president is going down.

Did you support Mr. Obama when he "drew the red line"?

2 hours ago, UT alum said:

So, you been secretly hiding out and reading every post, waiting for a chance to pounce?  Is that about right?  Lol, regardless, welcome back.  Your edification is just a few keystrokes away.   No, I did not support Obama’s handling in Syria.  He “drew a line in the sand”, and when Russia shoved it up his kister, he backed down.   And I did not approve of what Trump did pulling a handful (I’ve heard anywhere from 50 to 300) of troops out giving Turkey the opportunity to attack the Kurds.  That said, I still don’t see where that aided Russia, which is the title of this thread.  We still have troops there, although many wonder why, but the Middle East is like a giant chessboard, where realistically the best you can hope for is stalemate.

7 hours ago, UT alum said:

Crook?  😏  Lmao

On 10/22/2019 at 7:28 PM, LumRaiderFan said:

U.S. weighs leaving more troops, sending battle tanks to Syria. All of thIs  to protect the precious oil. We pull out and now we’re going back in because we forgot about the oil.
So much for your theory about a President who acts like he knows.