Season Predictions!

Well the season is rapidly approaching!  Would love to hear some early predictions.  I think this should be a very fun year.  Will it be HJ and Woodville and then everyone else?  (HJ and Woodville will be playing against each other at HJ on Nov 19th by the way) 

Will Jasper make a strong run?  How will United fair now that their bigs have graduated?  How good will West Brook be with a new coach and a very strong Freshman guard joining them?  Now that PNG has tasted the playoffs will they be poised for a deeper run this year?  Will Lumberton make the playoffs this year after a hard fought try last season?  How will Silsbee bounce back after losing in the regional semi final?  Will Legacy continue in their winning ways?  There are many good schools in the area who will give it their all.

Lets hear your predictions!! 

2 hours ago, $$Buckets$$ said:

Well the season is rapidly approaching!  Would love to hear some early predictions.  I think this should be a very fun year.  Will it be HJ and Woodville and then everyone else?  (HJ and Woodville will be playing against each other at HJ on Nov 19th by the way) 

Will Jasper make a strong run?  How will United fair now that their bigs have graduated?  How good will West Brook be with a new coach and a very strong Freshman guard joining them?  Now that PNG has tasted the playoffs will they be poised for a deeper run this year?  Will Lumberton make the playoffs this year after a hard fought try last season?  How will Silsbee bounce back after losing in the regional semi final?  Will Legacy continue in their winning ways?  There are many good schools in the area who will give it their all.

Correctly.  1 Big graduated.  We do have another big, not as strong in the post as Ashlei was, but can shoot better than her. 

5 hours ago, $$Buckets$$ said:

I have a feeling we are either going to make a really strong run at the DC or we are going to fall really flat. We have both of our top scorers back from the last two years, we have other pieces to the puzzle, but they are going to have to step up in big spots. They should be a very physical team and won’t be afraid to play or match up with anyone. Just don’t have much height under the basket. I’m hoping now that my kid has the recruiting all behind her she can relax and just play basketball. I look for big things from her and M Stampley this year!

I think Woodville and HJ certainly have the experience and the rosters to make it right back to San Antonio next March. I think United will be very successful as well, with the overall roster and the very experienced coach they have. Just a guess on my part, but I could see United playing more up tempo based on the guards and the very talent wing player they have. 

PNG is one of the hunted now in their 5A district, along with perennial favorite Barbers Hill , based on their success last season and their experienced roster. I think Orangefield will be a solid squad once again this season due to coaching and their experienced roster.

In area 4A, HJ has a wealth of riches in terms of returning varsity level players, players from last year's JV and freshman teams, and players coming into their school district for a variety of reasons. They may have lost their all time leading scorer, but I think they will make up for that difference by playing into the strengths of the additional length and quickness they have in their arsenal now.

I know Jasper has a very veteran squad that is athletic, and I look forward to seeing what they do as well.

Also in 4A, I know LCM will be right there due to the fact that they have a 1000+ win coach who knows how to get his team ready to play whatever style is necessary depending on the opponent. They have a great floor general in their senior point guard, and their other players are great in buying into the role that their HOF coach has mapped out for them. I think Bridge City may have lost some seniors, but their younger players will be ready to go as well, and BC's coach will have them in the right spots. 

Silsbee lost a lot of seniors, but I think they will be stronger than what some people may be thinking at this point. Lumberton is a team that for personal reasons I would like to see succeed, but they have a lot of work to do to approach the level of cohesiveness that the teams I listed above already play it.

Good luck to all the teams in the area, and I wish the best for all the young ladies who play. They work very hard and they deserve the area's support.

4 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Correctly.  1 Big graduated.  We do have another big, not as strong in the post as Ashlei was, but can shoot better than her. 

They should be fun to watch.  Would love to see them tackle a tougher pre district schedule tho to prepare them.  I think that caught up with them a little last year down the line.

18 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Glad you corrected that...

14 hours ago, $$Buckets$$ said:

They should be fun to watch.  Would love to see them tackle a tougher pre district schedule tho to prepare them.  I think that caught up with them a little last year down the line.

True.  Each tournament from last year has been replaced with a tougher one...

Houston Stafford for Baytown

Livingston for San Marcos

Barbers Hill (even though I liked the tournament) for College Station Holiday

And an upgrade in non-district games as well

Fort Bend Clements (9-25) for Langham Creek (28-8)

St. Pius (3-27) for Spring Westfield (12-17)

Summer Creek (33-7) 6A State Finalist was added

Goose Creek Memorial (27-9) was added

Silsbee (24-7) was dropped even though I thought we could have kept them on the schedule

Still no HJ, I would love to see that game

This team won't go 34-0 through the regular like last years team simply because of a tougher schedule but this team won't bow out in the 2nd round of the playoffs either.  There is a good chance that none of our starters will even be a Senior, 3 for sure won't be.  I think this team will be better because they won't have Kirven in the middle to rely on which will make them all better ball players and more aggressive.  

I agree with all of the above -

Two teams not mentioned to keep an eye on: Livingston and Tarkington

Livingston has Mya Miles who is one of the best players in the area -   they also have a new coach

Tarkington - returns all of their players off a team that lost a close game in Area and finished second in 21 4A - I think they come out of 21 4A as the champion this year but the misfortune there is they would see HJ in the 3rd round.

For all 4A teams in our region - the road to SA goes through HJ - no doubt about it.

Another 4A Region 3 team to watch (although not in SETX) is Fairfield - they only lost one Senior off a team that lost to HJ in the Regional Final.

SETX girls basketball is on the rise -  IMO - we have some very athletic teams and some very good players to watch this season.

2 hours ago, Alpha Wolf said:

Silsbee (24-7) was dropped even though I thought we could have kept them on the schedule

This team won't go 34-0 through the regular like last years team simply because of a tougher schedule but this team won't bow out in the 2nd round of the playoffs either.  There is a good chance that none of our starters will even be a Senior, 3 for sure won't be.  I think this team will be better because they won't have Kirven in the middle to rely on which will make them all better ball players and more aggressive.  

Im with you, I would love to see a HJ vs United matchup!  United should be a favorite to make it to regionals.  The only teams in their region to worry about would be Cy Creek, Houston Westside and maybe Atascocita or Summer Creek.  This tougher schedule will prepare them for it.

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2019 at 6:53 AM, Alpha Wolf said:

Man I just got my hands on a tournament bracket for the Lady Gander Tip-Off Classic next week in Baytown.  All I can say is Coach Brown definitely scheduled up this year!  Our first game in the tournament next Thursday is against Jersey Village who went 33-3 last year and TABC has them at #11 in 6A.  DeSoto, TABC #2, Roy Report #1 in 6A, along with several other 5A and 6A powers is in this tournament. 

We will take some L's along the way in non-district play but when it counts in district and playoffs, we will be ready...

6 hours ago, Alpha Wolf said:

Man I just got my hands on a tournament bracket for the Lady Gander Tip-Off Classic next week in Baytown.  All I can say is Coach Brown definitely scheduled up this year!  Our first game in the tournament next Thursday is against Jersey Village who went 33-3 last year and TABC has them at #11 in 6A.  DeSoto, TABC #2, Roy Report #1 in 6A, along with several other 5A and 6A powers is in this tournament. 

We will take some L's along the way in non-district play but when it counts in district and playoffs, we will be ready...

They put on a good tournament.  They normally have multiple brackets and make sure the good teams play each other.

10 hours ago, BH85 said:

They put on a good tournament.  They normally have multiple brackets and make sure the good teams play each other.

While I was studying the sheet yesterday, I noticed and admired that it wasn't just one big tournament.  Teams seemed to be matched up based off of last years performance and school size in one of three different brackets.  They have a total of 26 different teams divided up amongst those three different brackets.

18 hours ago, Alpha Wolf said:

This is a good one!  United should be ok against Jersey Village, the twin guards have graduated.  Now Desoto or "DesotU" as they are called will be a true test.  They are the Fab 5 of high school girls basketball.  2 6'4 sophomores that are high major D1 prospects a 6'2 sophomore that is ESPN ranked #17 in the country and about 4 guards that can fill it up.  They lost in the 6A championship game in a thriller, but returned everyone.  Their roster has about 8 to 10 D1 prospects on it therefore the name "DesotoU".  I would love to come check out this tournament, please post dates and times.

On 10/3/2019 at 7:34 AM, Coach.Shu said:

I agree with all of the above -

Two teams not mentioned to keep an eye on: Livingston and Tarkington

Livingston has Mya Miles who is one of the best players in the area -   they also have a new coach

Tarkington - returns all of their players off a team that lost a close game in Area and finished second in 21 4A - I think they come out of 21 4A as the champion this year but the misfortune there is they would see HJ in the 3rd round.

For all 4A teams in our region - the road to SA goes through HJ - no doubt about it.

Another 4A Region 3 team to watch (although not in SETX) is Fairfield - they only lost one Senior off a team that lost to HJ in the Regional Final.

SETX girls basketball is on the rise -  IMO - we have some very athletic teams and some very good players to watch this season.

I dont know if Livingston will be the same.  Im hearing that their best player from last season (Hawkins) is in Woden now. They still have a couple of good players tho, so that should be a interesting district.

9 hours ago, $$Buckets$$ said:

I dont know if Livingston will be the same.  Im hearing that their best player from last season (Hawkins) is in Woden now. They still have a couple of good players tho, so that should be a interesting district.

It doesn’t look like a good start!

Huntsville 67 Livingston 17 Final