Gilmer 16 Newton 0/FINAL

WOSgrad

I think you have to consider Newton the cream of the 4A and under crowd in SETX. 

Question is this: are Newton’s quality wins over Silsbee and WOS tarnished any by this loss? I thought Newton would be down this year, but I kinda took that back after winning those first two. I’m kinda wondering if Newton has actually slipped, and WOS/Silsbee are playing worse than expected this year?

Silsbee/WOS both has sluggish games against LUM/BC tonight. 

That’s a question for reasonable Newton fans. 

19 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I think you have to consider Newton the cream of the 4A and under crowd in SETX. 

Question is this: are Newton’s quality wins over Silsbee and WOS tarnished any by this loss? I thought Newton would be down this year, but I kinda took that back after winning those first two. I’m kinda wondering if Newton has actually slipped, and WOS/Silsbee are playing worse than expected this year?

Lumberton played Silsbee closer than most expected, that’s due to our run defense being better than what people thought. But 46-7 (wos over BC) isn’t a sluggish game imo. 

13 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I would be lying if it didn't cross my mind. .......... a shutout close lose is different than a close loss  If It make any  sense.....shutouts carry on

29 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I respect that. We didn’t make it to the game tonight so I honestly dk. I’d love to hear the opinions of our fans that were actually there. 

I'm not at all shocked by this loss. Newton was emotionally spent after playing WO-S last week. I've heard some of their fans say many times over the years that beating WO-S is as good to them as winning state. The leftover effect was working against Newton tonight. Nevertheless, nice win for Gilmer. They look much improved. 

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

49-7 Sluggish? 

Newton QB under center all night. No shotgun no spread when Gilmer stacking the box. Scat right scat left and up the middle. It seems after Neece left  they have dug out the ole playbook from the past. When's the last time you witnessed Newton not getting a half yard for a 1st down.  Congrats to a good Gilmer team.

No shame for Newton losing to Gilmer. Watched KTRE Red Zone and Newton talked about the size and how Gilmer speed the game up to keep Newton off balanced. They didn't use it as an excuse, but it's a big ask when your kids are going both ways while the other team can rotate fresh guys in at anytime.

Gilmer suits up 47 and plays a bunch of them. I would bet when Newton played Silsbee or WOS the number of players were similar or close.

The streak was bound to end. Better on the road than in Arlington.   I take 15-1 hoisting a trophy versus 15-1 and losing my last game of the season.

Newton will be fine.

As for Jasper, Silsbee and WOS, the playoffs ought to be fun.

2 minutes ago, BearEssentials97 said:

No shame for Newton losing to Gilmer. Watched KTRE Red Zone and Newton talked about the size and how Gilmer speed the game up to keep Newton off balanced. They didn't use it as an excuse, but it's a big ask when your kids are going both ways while the other team can rotate fresh guys in at anytime.

Gilmer suits up 47 and plays a bunch of them. I would bet when Newton played Silsbee or WOS the number of players were similar or close.

The streak was bound to end. Better on the road than in Arlington.   I take 15-1 hoisting a trophy versus 15-1 and losing my last game of the season.

Newton will be fine.

As for Jasper, Silsbee and WOS, the playoffs ought to be fun.

Silsbee suits out 34 on varsity. Newton suited out 30 against Silsbee.

7 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

49-7 Sluggish? 

The score was 15-7 with 20 seconds left in the first half. They broke it open in the second half. Playing a half like that against a decent team will get you beat.

That’s why I said “sluggish.”

One of the Newton posters mentioned a “hangover effect” for the Eagles after the WOS/Newton game week before last. Could be. 

20 minutes ago, lostaussie said:

Bucks held the Eagles to 115 total yards. 72 rushing and 43 passing. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought that is how we would win. 

Me too. I picked Gilmer to win but in a 34-28 type game. A shut out was never considered a possibility. Particularly for a team who had given up 108 points in first 4 games. (27 points per game)

3 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Me too. I picked Gilmer to win but in a 34-28 type game. A shut out was never considered a possibility. Particularly for a team who had given up 108 points in first 4 games. (27 points per game)

They were playing inspired with a loss to avenge and it looked like Newton forgot how to block.

This lose means nothing other than an end to a win streak. Hopefully we learn something from this and improve. If you’re worried about a win steak start scheduling lesser opponents. You have to be challenged, to get better. One thing for sure, we learned we’re not invincible. That might be a good thing. The players have to execute their assignments and not think all they have to do is show up. Where we  go from here is dependent on how the players handle this. If they go and give it their  all, that is all anybody could ask. Being beat by a better team is nothing to be ashamed about. All we can do is support them, win or lose. Go Eagles