Powerhouse Programs having down years

BADSANTA

Guest ECBucFan
3 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Navasota really goofed up with that Fedora situation. Smh. Could've been a mini dynasty IMO had he stayed. 

Small town Politics. 

The school board agreed to not have Fedora back without any stated reason. I've wondered if Fedora was willing to walk away without any stink made by him and the community because he saw what was coming through the pipeline. Maybe he knew Navasota would have some weak teams for a few years and he got out while he could with a successful track record intact. 

22 minutes ago, griff said:

The school board agreed to not have Fedora back without any stated reason. I've wondered if Fedora was willing to walk away without any stink made by him and the community because he saw what was coming through the pipeline. Maybe he knew Navasota would have some weak teams for a few years and he got out while he could with a successful track record intact. 

I dont think the situation had anything to do with talent or lack thereof at Navasota but had everything to do with the school board there.

14 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

Navasota had like a 6 or 7 year run where they went to state or won state. Now they dont even make the playoffs. 

Navasota made the playoffs last season and went a couple rounds deep I believe. They looked improved from last season  when Bellville scrimmaged them a couple weeks ago .

Brenham is okay, but nowhere near the Glen West years. They went 3 rounds deep and lost to Calallen but that was in Region 4. I saw them last year go life and death with Houston Heights.  After seeing their scrimmage vs. Harker Heights if they don't tighten up that defense, Friday night vs. Magnolia West will be real ugly. Coach Eliot seems to be a stand up guy and a heck of a coach, so I'm hoping he can get it done.

generally speaking on the subject, you have to consider other things besides coaching people....LIFE! families are moving to other places now. talent is getting spread out. seems as though districts are opening new schools every year. another factor is, maybe, juuuust maybe other programs are building up now and no longer intimidated by history and atmosphere. too bad teams and/or fans can't shake that mentality in setx...well one team/fan base has atleast....maybe two.

Former liberty panther band member Walter Jackson took over as brenham supt and brought in big changes. New football, baseball, boys/girls hoops, boys/girls soccer, and boys/girls cross country head coaches along with all the coordinators. Football made a great run last year but would have been 1-9 in their previous district alignment. Boys/girls hoops both went 5-25, boys soccer won 2 games and baseball missed the playoffs for 1st time in 35 years. Brenham high is trending towards inner-city Houston.

1 hour ago, DaBears said:

Former liberty panther band member Walter Jackson took over as brenham supt and brought in big changes. New football, baseball, boys/girls hoops, boys/girls soccer, and boys/girls cross country head coaches along with all the coordinators. Football made a great run last year but would have been 1-9 in their previous district alignment. Boys/girls hoops both went 5-25, boys soccer won 2 games and baseball missed the playoffs for 1st time in 35 years. Brenham high is trending towards inner-city Houston.

I used to coach in inner city Houston and I live in Brenham. That isn't the case at all.

Their soccer coach last year, was a soccer coach I personally hired at Bob Hope School in Port Arthur and he set that program up, made it to the playoffs for the first time in school history, beat Jasper in the first round (and barely lost to Waco La Vega), and had multiple kids recruited to play college ball from Bob Hope including one at an NCAA Division II. Last year's record in soccer isn't a knock against Brenham, they were in a tough district and played a tough pre-district. The same goes with baseball. Yes, they missed the playoffs for the first time in 35 years, but Coach Williams was a heck of a coach, I think his record was like 180-60. Cedar Park picked him up immediately when Brenham let him go. 

It takes a little time to transition, but Brenham is still Brenham.

On 8/28/2019 at 9:33 AM, pakronos said:

generally speaking on the subject, you have to consider other things besides coaching people....LIFE! families are moving to other places now. talent is getting spread out. seems as though districts are opening new schools every year. another factor is, maybe, juuuust maybe other programs are building up now and no longer intimidated by history and atmosphere. too bad teams and/or fans can't shake that mentality in setx...well one team/fan base has atleast....maybe two.

+10,000

On 8/28/2019 at 9:33 AM, pakronos said:

I was hoping someone would post something like this.  Typically in small towns the genetic pool starts to dry up because there's nothing there as far as jobs go.  I've always wondered why people think that just because a team had a string or 4-5 really good years that they're always going to have the same talent pool.  I know of a small community that feels that way on I-45 just south of Huntsville that forgets about which hurricane made them good; not the home town gene pool.

Navasota's talent was starting to dry up before Lee left there.  If you look at Coldspring here lately kids have either been going to Willis, Huntsville, or Livingston.  I'm not saying Brenham wasn't bad, but Glen had a way with those kids.  And even before Glen finally retired their football participation numbers started to go down.

It's interesting to see all the people that get on these message boards and are quick to point out the coaches that had great success there and tag that to the sole reason for these programs hitting "droughts".  I think there's too many times where we think high school football is like college football and expect those programs to be dominating year in and year out.  No one every really brings up Bay City anymore.  Why don't they?  With some mindsets I'm sure BC should be playing for the state championship year in and year out.  Texas City, Lamarque (yes, I know what's going on there), Daingerfield, etc.  They all fall prey to small town over expectations, small town last names wanting more glory, or even a lack of a local economy stable enough to support families.

2 hours ago, scat_trap said:

I was hoping someone would post something like this.  Typically in small towns the genetic pool starts to dry up because there's nothing there as far as jobs go.  I've always wondered why people think that just because a team had a string or 4-5 really good years that they're always going to have the same talent pool.  I know of a small community that feels that way on I-45 just south of Huntsville that forgets about which hurricane made them good; not the home town gene pool.

Navasota's talent was starting to dry up before Lee left there.  If you look at Coldspring here lately kids have either been going to Willis, Huntsville, or Livingston.  I'm not saying Brenham wasn't bad, but Glen had a way with those kids.  And even before Glen finally retired their football participation numbers started to go down.

It's interesting to see all the people that get on these message boards and are quick to point out the coaches that had great success there and tag that to the sole reason for these programs hitting "droughts".  I think there's too many times where we think high school football is like college football and expect those programs to be dominating year in and year out.  No one every really brings up Bay City anymore.  Why don't they?  With some mindsets I'm sure BC should be playing for the state championship year in and year out.  Texas City, Lamarque (yes, I know what's going on there), Daingerfield, etc.  They all fall prey to small town over expectations, small town last names wanting more glory, or even a lack of a local economy stable enough to support families.

Great post! The influx of Hispanics(majority of them don’t play football) is another player in the downfall of once proud programs.