Shug playing running back......

FrodoNDN

I understand the whole situation, and maybe I'm just over analyzing things. But, if Shug is truly the Qb of the future why would you consider burning his redshirt? Plenty of athletes in the system to get a few useful reps out of at the RB position. Shug is 1 of only 3 qbs on scholarship. And more importantly one injury away from being the backup qb. Even worse, he gets injured and there's no #3. Ehlinger is certainly suspect to injury with his style of play.  I guess the part about him playing special teams really puzzles me. Not many backup qbs playing special teams....Maybe the holder on extra points and field goals? Again, maybe over analyzing but could this be an opportunity to move him to another position? Whatever the case, best of luck to this young man looking forward.

3 hours ago, outanup said:

I understand the whole situation, and maybe I'm just over analyzing things. But, if Shug is truly the Qb of the future why would you consider burning his redshirt? Plenty of athletes in the system to get a few useful reps out of at the RB position. Shug is 1 of only 3 qbs on scholarship. And more importantly one injury away from being the backup qb. Even worse, he gets injured and there's no #3. Ehlinger is certainly suspect to injury with his style of play.  I guess the part about him playing special teams really puzzles me. Not many backup qbs playing special teams....Maybe the holder on extra points and field goals? Again, maybe over analyzing but could this be an opportunity to move him to another position? Whatever the case, best of luck to this young man looking forward.

•  

I agree

4 hours ago, outanup said:

•  

+1. We have the exact same opinion. 

PNG homers smh...dude ain't playing QB....EVER!! unless its a wildhorn play lol. not knocking his ability as an athlete....just telling you he's not what the boosters want...oh, wait, yall didn't know that's who makes the decisions?? RB it is. I mean lets look at the REAL tape. png padded his numbers. kept him in games that he should have been pulled especially in the cupcake games. when the fighting roschons faced stiff competition (PAM, Nederland, and 3rd rn) he was a B-/C+ qb...AVERAGE. had they won a state title or two, then I promise you he would be #2 or very least he would not be at RB. we will see what happens after game 4...remember this titan said it first...see what I did there?? remember this titan...??? lol.

Let's not act like this guy wont get snaps at QB when Ehlinger gets that first concussion...... "move to a different position" LOL they have been salivating to get shug on campus guys and broadcasters for sugar bowl knew to talk about him, because the coaching staff couldnt wait to get him there.... the kid has IT... PAM homer still salty he left yall lol... smh but yeah, lets just move him to DB

2 hours ago, BruinGrad87 said:

Let's not act like this guy wont get snaps at QB when Ehlinger gets that first concussion...... "move to a different position" LOL they have been salivating to get shug on campus guys and broadcasters for sugar bowl knew to talk about him, because the coaching staff couldnt wait to get him there.... the kid has IT... PAM homer still salty he left yall lol... smh but yeah, lets just move him to DB

please, salty??? I have black pride and happy to see the kid do something as a young black man. him choosing png that's on him and his family. I didn't loose sleep. to be honest, didn't know he had any ties to PA till someone told me. can't miss or be salty if I didn't knew he exhisted.  ummm by the way, like PAM,didn't see png get past the 3rd rd either sooooo....he would not have made a difference. again, do you really believe he is the only qb there besides the starter?? you sound real silly to think if Ehlinger got hurt that Johnson would get snaps even after the head coach said he's not ready. he wasn't the only qb they were" salivating" over. the kid or kids that will be playing qb ahead of him right now on campus , they were salivating over them too...NEWS FLASH!!! THEY GONNA SALIVATE OVER SOME OVER HYED KID THIS YEAR AND THE NEXT!! ONE THAT ACTUALLY MIGHT START AHEAD OF HIM.. I say to you , look at Clemson...freshman took the job from the upper classman. RJ options: play RB, KR, WR, DB, or transfer. have a nice day!!

23 hours ago, pakronos said:

Wait one min..... WHAT MOST HATED POSTER PREDICTED THIS WOULD HAPPEN LOOOONG AGO??? Pakronos right again!!! Now, I get it. Kid is playing at a power 5 getting his education, which is the goal. If he was gonna be a qb at the next level... U of H would have been the place. Wow lol... TOLD YALL SO!!  And to clarify I never said he wouldn’t play... I said he would be no qb

Lmao! You still at it, and a year later. That is commitment! I've been enjoying reading all the speculation from folks who ain't in the know. Keep it up, its juicy! Well I was just dropping by. I figured Roschons biggest fan would have an opinion on him having to be an emergency Rb. Ill probably check back in the season to see how yall doing but it seems not much has changed lol

20 hours ago, pakronos said:

please, salty??? I have black pride and happy to see the kid do something as a young black man. him choosing png that's on him and his family. I didn't loose sleep. to be honest, didn't know he had any ties to PA till someone told me. can't miss or be salty if I didn't knew he exhisted.  ummm by the way, like PAM,didn't see png get past the 3rd rd either sooooo....he would not have made a difference. again, do you really believe he is the only qb there besides the starter?? you sound real silly to think if Ehlinger got hurt that Johnson would get snaps even after the head coach said he's not ready. he wasn't the only qb they were" salivating" over. the kid or kids that will be playing qb ahead of him right now on campus , they were salivating over them too...NEWS FLASH!!! THEY GONNA SALIVATE OVER SOME OVER HYED KID THIS YEAR AND THE NEXT!! ONE THAT ACTUALLY MIGHT START AHEAD OF HIM.. I say to you , look at Clemson...freshman took the job from the upper classman. RJ options: play RB, KR, WR, DB, or transfer. have a nice day!!

Ill address what needs to be addressed in order. Everyone whos anyone knew shug was PA pride and harrison ran him off because agenda.... diff discussion though.... PAM knocked out in first rd last year so....? The coaching staff would have had to have brought up shug in a discussion in sugar bowl prep to have him discussed for them to talk like they did about him on air... Anyways so when he lines up at QB this year if/when Ehlinger gets injured you'll eat your words???

42 minutes ago, BruinGrad87 said:

Ill address what needs to be addressed in order. Everyone whos anyone knew shug was PA pride and harrison ran him off because agenda.... diff discussion though.... PAM knocked out in first rd last year so....? The coaching staff would have had to have brought up shug in a discussion in sugar bowl prep to have him discussed for them to talk like they did about him on air... Anyways so when he lines up at QB this year if/when Ehlinger gets injured you'll eat your words???

You forgetting Casey Thompson is the backup QB? I hope he gets his shot. I think he has a bright future at Texas. 

18 hours ago, BruinGrad87 said:

i would think they would both get a look if something were to happen to ehlinger wouldnt you think?

Going off what I saw during the spring game, maybe not. Am excited to see what RJ can do. Think this chance at RB would help him gain some valuable experience. Don’t know why everyone thinks this is the end of his QB career at Texas though. It’s not like the QB never carriers the ball in their offense. 

2 hours ago, Past Pirate said:

Going off what I saw during the spring game, maybe not. Am excited to see what RJ can do. Think this chance at RB would help him gain some valuable experience. Don’t know why everyone thinks this is the end of his QB career at Texas though. It’s not like the QB never carriers the ball in their offense. 

and that is what im saying. The man is a team player and has earned the respect of the coaches and team. I don't recall a history of head injuries for shug so either position he should be fine to bang either position

You guys are going to have to learn that banging your head against the wall is more productive than trying to carry a logical discussion with some posters on this site.   

Herman’s offense is absolutely perfect for Roschon which is why he was the first offer and commit in his class.  He was recruited as a QB, not a RB, WR or DB.  

Sitting at 3rd on the depth chart as a true freshman at a school that recruits like Texas is nothing to sneeze at.  And like others have said, if Sam were injured, I’m sure he would get his reps to compete.  

As far as “burning the redshirt,” don’t forget the new rule that allows for a player to play up to 4 games and still qualify for a RS.  

On 8/28/2019 at 2:05 PM, RoschonsBigBro said:

Lmao! You still at it, and a year later. That is commitment! I've been enjoying reading all the speculation from folks who ain't in the know. Keep it up, its juicy! Well I was just dropping by. I figured Roschons biggest fan would have an opinion on him having to be an emergency Rb. Ill probably check back in the season to see how yall doing but it seems not much has changed lol

Your little bro is exactly what Herman is looking for in a fit. Selfless move on his part regardless of the other dynamics. Now let's see that juice! I heard he gave BJ Foster a good dose earlier in the week! Lulz

On 8/29/2019 at 8:59 AM, BruinGrad87 said:

You do know Shug was attending PNGISD schools since he was little right?  Kinda hard to run off an elementary kid. Ppl say the weirdest things these days. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Shug played really well against LSU. Everytime he touched the ball it was at least 5 yards. His blocking was outstanding and he really looked the part. I was wanting them to give him the ball more because he brought energy to the team when he was in there. I thought Texas was getting too pass happy at times. Shug was in the game at crunch time so that should tell you how he was playing. The last several series when they had to score RJ was in there. I don't care about the situation but being in the game and producing like he did against a big time program says something about him. I really wanted to see him prove people wrong and eventually play QB. But the way he looked against LSU he may end up being a dam'n good RB for UT and never go back to QB. The kid is a baller and can play where ever you need him. Nobody is going to out work him for sure. So he will keep getting better where ever he plays. He looks like a grown ass man out there. Cant wait to see what the future holds for this young man. 

13 hours ago, Eagle91 said:

I thought Shug played really well against LSU. Everytime he touched the ball it was at least 5 yards. His blocking was outstanding and he really looked the part. I was wanting them to give him the ball more because he brought energy to the team when he was in there. I thought Texas was getting too pass happy at times. Shug was in the game at crunch time so that should tell you how he was playing. The last several series when they had to score RJ was in there. I don't care about the situation but being in the game and producing like he did against a big time program says something about him. I really wanted to see him prove people wrong and eventually play QB. But the way he looked against LSU he may end up being a dam'n good RB for UT and never go back to QB. The kid is a baller and can play where ever you need him. Nobody is going to out work him for sure. So he will keep getting better where ever he plays. He looks like a grown ass man out there. Cant wait to see what the future holds for this young man. 

Honestly, he might have been the most impressive player on that side of the ball (other than Sam).   The way he ran the ball against that defensive front was impressive for any back.  For a quarterback who is a true freshman playing out of position, simply remarkable.  

He looked bigger than I thought he was, and had an uncanny “wiggle” given the aforementioned.   Candidly, if he stayed at RB, he looked the part of one who will play beyond college.  But I agree with WGL that he will be taking snaps before it’s all said and done.   But more than any player un burnt orange, he was the one the opposing fans kept asking, “who is THAT??”   Kid’s future is extremely bright.  

30 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

He looked bigger than I thought he was

Dietitian and weight program helped his size. He was the most exciting player on the field. But maybe we are biased, knowing what his future holds. Put him at any position on the field and he will make it happen. Can't wait to see him again.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...