Growth in Cleveland

Texasdude281

6 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Wrong type of growth?  Help me understand this.  Just because the bulk if the growth comes from people South if the border dont mean the growth is bad.  Any growth for an area is good.  Most of the people probably came legal.  They come and they'll work and boost the economy.  You move in, and you buy or rent.  You work, you spend your money in the town.  That's the same thing as the people that are already in Cleveland.  This may or may not benefit football in Cleveland, but it may benefit other sports as well.  It's a win win for the city of Cleveland  IMO.  It's just a shame the close minded thought process of many...

I grew up in Tarkington and still have family, friends and co workers in the area. You have no idea how bad it really is!! It’s not GOOD growth!!

16 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

You're reading too much into it.  

You're not talking about Tomball, the Woodlands, or Sugarland where there are master-planned communities with ample roads, schools, and municipal services pre-planned and available.  

This area was all timberland up until a few years ago.  The last numbers that I heard was that they had already sold 70,000 plus unrestricted lots with 90,000 more ready to go.  I understand that much of the property is sold "owner financed" and you can easily make your purchase at a flea market on the side of hwy 59. The new owners are free to move onto their property whenever they get ready.  I've heard from multiple sources that there are a number of people living in tents, RVs, and shacks out there.  The fact that most of them don't speak English is of little concern, except for educators.  It's everything from a lack of school buses and classrooms to not having enough law enforcement to simple traffic controls being inadequate.  Just imagine 65,000 people who don't speak English moving into the woods outside of Orangefield and you get a good sense for what's happening out there in Plum Grove.  

This is an article from 2017, and it only details one of the developers that 's working down there. 

This is the hidden content, please

Regardless of a person's views on immigration or race, there is definitely a difference between good growth and an unplanned population explosion... most of which will add little to no value to the county tax rolls while simultaneously putting an uncontrolled strain on local services. 

Thank you....I was trying to generalize these issues.

Yall realize that almost every town and city in texas has homeless people living in tents and under freeways, right?  These issues happen in big cities and growing smaller cities.  

Seems like the issue is not worth the folks from across the border, but just general homeless population that just so happen to be mostly Hispanic people.  

Also, the many updates with normal convenience  allows non english speaking people to do many things these days.  Everything is in spanish version now.  Spanish interpreters are getting lots of work these days.  I guess my views are just different when it comes to it.  Then again, I dont live in Cleveland and have only been there like 3 times...

17 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

You're reading too much into it.  

You're not talking about Tomball, the Woodlands, or Sugarland where there are master-planned communities with ample roads, schools, and municipal services pre-planned and available.  

This area was all timberland up until a few years ago.  The last numbers that I heard was that they had already sold 70,000 plus unrestricted lots with 90,000 more ready to go.  I understand that much of the property is sold "owner financed" and you can easily make your purchase at a flea market on the side of hwy 59. The new owners are free to move onto their property whenever they get ready.  I've heard from multiple sources that there are a number of people living in tents, RVs, and shacks out there.  The fact that most of them don't speak English is of little concern, except for educators.  It's everything from a lack of school buses and classrooms to not having enough law enforcement to simple traffic controls being inadequate.  Just imagine 65,000 people who don't speak English moving into the woods outside of Orangefield and you get a good sense for what's happening out there in Plum Grove.  

This is an article from 2017, and it only details one of the developers that 's working down there. 

Regardless of a person's views on immigration or race, there is definitely a difference between good growth and an unplanned population explosion... most of which will add little to no value to the county tax rolls while simultaneously putting an uncontrolled strain on local services. 

this is the first time i ever find myself agreeing with you backer.... lol... this is EXACTLY what is going on outside of Cleveland

44 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Also, the many updates with normal convenience  allows non english speaking people to do many things these days.  Everything is in spanish version now.  Spanish interpreters are getting lots of work these days.  I guess my views are just different when it comes to it.  Then again, I dont live in Cleveland and have only been there like 3 times...

It’s the scope of the growth that’s the killer, not the people who are moving in. 

Cleveland ISD had 3800 students FIVE YEARS AGO. They had 7600 enrolled in this August... and they expect that number to double again in five years. 

These weren’t developers building master planned communities by setting aside land for local schools, shopping, etc... they aren’t building new homes... they’re just selling lots to folks and leaving local government to figure how to handle the critical need for services. 

Guest ECBucFan
21 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Trust me, not all growth is good.

You are absolutely, postivily 100% correct. I have seen Winnie change so much in the last 20-30 years it ain't even funny. The majority of Winnies growth is NOT good. If you saw what our elementary schools were comprised of it would amaze you. 

15 minutes ago, ECBucFan said:

You are absolutely, postivily 100% correct. I have seen Winnie change so much in the last 20-30 years it ain't even funny. The majority of Winnies growth is NOT good. If you saw what our elementary schools were comprised of it would amaze you. 

What are the elementary schools comprised of?

Guest ECBucFan
22 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

What are the elementary schools comprised of?

Why don't you come down to Winnie and see the elementary school when it lets out for the day. You might be amazed. 

True story: About 15 years ago, a liberal Democrat friend of mine left Winnie. He was a fairly well known government official in SETX. One of the reasons he told me he left was "Winnie is importing poverty". That was his exact quote. Since then, the poverty importation into Winnie has increased dramatically. The ECCISD is constantly burdened with more and more expenditures with free lunches, having to hire more ESL teachers, build more classrooms, and so on. The people who move in from far away regions burden the tax base. ECCISD was once a fiscially conservative district. Now, they have adopted what seems to be a "grow at all costs -- just pile it on the taxpayers" philosophy. Winnie is not the same old Winnie most people think they know anymore. Come see for yourself.  

Aggie is exactly right. Not all growth is good.  

Guest ECBucFan
31 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

For clarification: "Not good growth" would consist of growth that could unseat New Caney as the "Trailer Park Capital of the World".

Trailer Park Capital? We feel your pain. 

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

For clarification: "Not good growth" would consist of growth that could unseat New Caney as the "Trailer Park Capital of the World".

Funny how the tax base was able to afford such a nice stadium. While the New Caney area does have a number of unrestricted residential areas it also has a solid base of restricted neighborhoods as well.

Guest ECBucFan

The long time owners passed away and new owners took it over and dramatically changed the menu and the decor. Why they did that is unknown to me. Why mess with astounding sucess? It baffled everyone in town. Al-T's had a packed house for the lunch buffet almost each and every day. Why radically change the menu? The patronage dropped off, doors closed and the building was sold to Tia Juanitas. TJ's is a fine place I have no problem with them but it was so, so sad to see Al-T's die off. Life will go on.  

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/Tia-Juanita-s-takes-over-Cajun-classic-in-Winnie-14296037.php