Growth in Cleveland

Texasdude281

Guest ECBucFan

Phenomenal growth along the 59-N corridor. Houston metro will stretch from downtown to the north edge of Cleveland within 10 years. Splendora,  New Caney and Porter have already boomed. Cleveland has a gigantic housing development going up right now at the intersection of 105 and 321.   

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/08/17/why-this-chinese-developer-is-investing-100m-into.html

11 hours ago, Texasdude281 said:

This is the hidden content, please

I was just looking at some of the houses they have built around the Cleveland/Tarkington area just last evening. Whole area looks totally different from when I last passed thru there few years ago. 

9 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

From last year, they got nowhere to go but up. I'm just confused about a 5a d2 playing 3a d1 team. Is Cleveland that bad? Or is Buna that good?

Cleveland is not good. I believe they did not win a district game in 4 years while they were in 4a 1. They could have beaten BC one time when they went 0-10 just can’t remember off hand. 

7 hours ago, LC-M said:

Cleveland is not good. I believe they did not win a district game in 4 years while they were in 4a 1. They could have beaten BC one time when they went 0-10 just can’t remember off hand. 

They beat us in 14.  That's the game that got Stump fired. 

Tie game, we drove down to 4th and 8 on their 12.  Our kicker was capable.  We ran a draw play from shotgun, didn't convert.... Lost to the Indians in overtime.  

And the rest was history. 

33 minutes ago, scat_trap said:

I've got a source that's said there are 15 classes at the elementary with no room for them to go other than the cafeteria.  Can they be competitive in football again?  Maybe but it's going to have to take some time for the coaching staff to work it out.

The report I read a couple of years ago indicated that the district had grown by 1000+ kids in 3 years. 

The component that everybody is dancing around is that while there is some growth out around Tarkington, the primary area that's exploding is "La Colonia" out near Plum Grove.  It's the opposite of a masterplanned community (Kingwood, The Woodlands) built out in the woods Southeast of Cleveland.  The marketing has been primarily made to the working class Hispanic Community in the Houston metro area.  

A friend of mine works for a utiliity company in the area and they predict 25,000 new electric meters in an subsequent addition the growth that's already occurred. The growth has been phenomenal.... but when you see remarks about "being good at baseball and soccer" they aren't talking about upcoming pitchers... it's a reference to the fact that bulk of the new population is Hispanic.   

Amazing at how poor football wise Cleveland has evolved to . I remember the Indians in 96, we played them in Crosby with future longhorn Ivan Williams and a lot other athletes. I would always watch our opponents get off the bus. Everyone off the Cleveland bus had a white shirt and tie. No Ivan, then about a minute afterwards Ivan steps off with headphones and UT warmups that had UT coaching staff embroidered on it. Treat racehorses like racehorses and plow horses like plow horses. We lost that game 27-24 in a cold rainstorm on a mud field when a blue norther came through in late September. In the 90s Cleveland had some high potential teams. Hopefully the new coach can get them back on track.

8 hours ago, scat_trap said:

I've got a source that's said there are 15 classes at the elementary with no room for them to go other than the cafeteria.  Can they be competitive in football again?  Maybe but it's going to have to take some time for the coaching staff to work it out.

I think you got bad information according to my source 

10 hours ago, coach bear said:

Amazing at how poor football wise Cleveland has evolved to . I remember the Indians in 96, we played them in Crosby with future longhorn Ivan Williams and a lot other athletes. I would always watch our opponents get off the bus. Everyone off the Cleveland bus had a white shirt and tie. No Ivan, then about a minute afterwards Ivan steps off with headphones and UT warmups that had UT coaching staff embroidered on it. Treat racehorses like racehorses and plow horses like plow horses. We lost that game 27-24 in a cold rainstorm on a mud field when a blue norther came through in late September. In the 90s Cleveland had some high potential teams. Hopefully the new coach can get them back on track.

I remember Jasper beating them 82-0 in '89 and then losing to them a few years later. They have athletes, but coaching makes all the difference in a place like that. 

Guest ECBucFan

Back in those days Jasper used to bring the hammer, and would not let up. I could tell some stories, but I will just say that I think I still have some Jasper inflicted bruises from the 80's, mostly from Eugene Seale, LOL. 

4 minutes ago, ECBucFan said:

Back in those days Jasper used to bring the hammer, and would not let up. I could tell some stories, but I will just say that I think I still have some Jasper inflicted bruises from the 80's, mostly from Eugene Seale, LOL. 

Seale was something else. He and Willie Cade were monsters on Jasper's defense in those days. 

On 8/27/2019 at 10:50 AM, coach bear said:

Muchos hombres no te gusta futbol Americana

On 8/27/2019 at 10:05 AM, CardinalBacker said:

The report I read a couple of years ago indicated that the district had grown by 1000+ kids in 3 years. 

The component that everybody is dancing around is that while there is some growth out around Tarkington, the primary area that's exploding is "La Colonia" out near Plum Grove.  It's the opposite of a masterplanned community (Kingwood, The Woodlands) built out in the woods Southeast of Cleveland.  The marketing has been primarily made to the working class Hispanic Community in the Houston metro area.  

A friend of mine works for a utiliity company in the area and they predict 25,000 new electric meters in an subsequent addition the growth that's already occurred. The growth has been phenomenal.... but when you see remarks about "being good at baseball and soccer" they aren't talking about upcoming pitchers... it's a reference to the fact that bulk of the new population is Hispanic.   

This is unfortunately, for the district, very accurate except it didn't include the fact that these "developments" are being advertised in many of the third world countries south of the border. That fact is straight from the mouths of incoming students who have made their way to the U.S. from said countries. As a result of this process, the district has experienced the wrong type of growth. Not because of the nationality of the majority of the student body population, but rather due to the shear overwhelming volume of students in such a short time span. The community doesn't really have the economic stability to support such growth, particularly within the schooling system. Hopefully, though good leadership (city & district), a light will be present at the end of the tunnel. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, indian15/16 said:

This is unfortunately, for the district, very accurate except it didn't include the fact that these "developments" are being advertised in many of the third world countries south of the border. That fact is straight from the mouths of incoming students who have made their way to the U.S. from said countries. As a result of this process, the district has experienced the wrong type of growth. Not because of the nationality of the majority of the student body population, but rather due to the shear overwhelming volume of students in such a short time span. The community doesn't really have the economic stability to support such growth, particularly within the schooling system. Hopefully, though good leadership (city & district), a light will be present at the end of the tunnel. Time will tell.

Wrong type of growth?  Help me understand this.  Just because the bulk if the growth comes from people South if the border dont mean the growth is bad.  Any growth for an area is good.  Most of the people probably came legal.  They come and they'll work and boost the economy.  You move in, and you buy or rent.  You work, you spend your money in the town.  That's the same thing as the people that are already in Cleveland.  This may or may not benefit football in Cleveland, but it may benefit other sports as well.  It's a win win for the city of Cleveland  IMO.  It's just a shame the close minded thought process of many...

5 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Wrong type of growth?  Help me understand this.  Just because the bulk if the growth comes from people South if the border dont mean the growth is bad.  Any growth for an area is good.  Most of the people probably came legal.  They come and they'll work and boost the economy.  You move in, and you buy or rent.  You work, you spend your money in the town.  That's the same thing as the people that are already in Cleveland.  This may or may not benefit football in Cleveland, but it may benefit other sports as well.  It's a win win for the city of Cleveland  IMO.  It's just a shame the close minded thought process of many...

You're reading too much into it.  

You're not talking about Tomball, the Woodlands, or Sugarland where there are master-planned communities with ample roads, schools, and municipal services pre-planned and available.  

This area was all timberland up until a few years ago.  The last numbers that I heard was that they had already sold 70,000 plus unrestricted lots with 90,000 more ready to go.  I understand that much of the property is sold "owner financed" and you can easily make your purchase at a flea market on the side of hwy 59. The new owners are free to move onto their property whenever they get ready.  I've heard from multiple sources that there are a number of people living in tents, RVs, and shacks out there.  The fact that most of them don't speak English is of little concern, except for educators.  It's everything from a lack of school buses and classrooms to not having enough law enforcement to simple traffic controls being inadequate.  Just imagine 65,000 people who don't speak English moving into the woods outside of Orangefield and you get a good sense for what's happening out there in Plum Grove.  

This is an article from 2017, and it only details one of the developers that 's working down there. 

This is the hidden content, please

Regardless of a person's views on immigration or race, there is definitely a difference between good growth and an unplanned population explosion... most of which will add little to no value to the county tax rolls while simultaneously putting an uncontrolled strain on local services.