Desmond Demas denied transfer to Tomball

BADSANTA

On August 21, 2019 at 7:38 PM, coach bear said:

You are right, what the north forest coach did by checking off on the previous participation form ,that he believes the said athlete moved for athletic reasons, should be the norm from the leadership of a head coach and not COURAGEOUS . Doing the right thing, not the easy thing, shouldn’t be courageous, just part of a responsible adult. To follow the rules. If a coach is unethical, the new district members will find this out and allow him to play. Coaches do want what is best for athletes, but best doesn’t mean bending to their momentary wants. Many of us weren’t given the candy when we cried for it at the store. Others were, and they continue to cry as adults.                                                                                          If the athlete feels the district committee is wrong, they can appeal to the state UIL .Present their case and let the state decide. Remember 3 of the 8 cases were allowed to play, so due diligence does work on deserving cases. It’s obvious by the numerous discrepancies in the article, his case wasn’t deserving .In today’s society it sometimes takes courage to do the right thing.

So that coach in all his years of coaching has never taken an athlete on his team that transferred in because of athletic reasons. This happens all the time. Sometimes you benefit sometimes you lose. If this kid wasn't as good as he is we wouldn't even be hearing about it. The  coach was mad about losing a 5Star WR.

8 hours ago, Yeoj said:

So that coach in all his years of coaching has never taken an athlete on his team that transferred in because of athletic reasons. This happens all the time. Sometimes you benefit sometimes you lose. If this kid wasn't as good as he is we wouldn't even be hearing about it. The  coach was mad about losing a 5Star WR.

Just for the record.... You think it is ok to break the Rules?

On 8/21/2019 at 12:21 PM, CardinalBacker said:

So what about the kid's two brothers who weren't transferring?  Their educations aren't a big deal?  It kinda blows the whole "transferring for academic reasons" argument out of the water.  

The problems is that the kid lined himself up with promoter/agent/liaison that was shopping him and the Tomball qb as a tandem to bigger schools. 

Now, you may believe that kids should feel free to transfer without penalty whenever, wherever, however... unfortunately that's not allowed within the current ruleset, and it shouldn't be allowed in my opinion.  

The only crybabies that I see are the whiny parents who want to move their kids around because they don't like the way things are going in their current situation.  Well, that and you. 

The kid has 36 D1 offers and I’m sure hey don’t care if he suits up his senior year or not. Yes rules are in place for a reason but the UIL has no right telling these kids where they can move to. This kid did what was best for him and I admire him staying in Tomball.  Looks like it was academics.  

10 hours ago, Yeoj said:

The kid's mom/parent should have moved.  Had they changed their address this wouldn't even be an issue. 

48 minutes ago, KB24 said:

The kid has 36 D1 offers and I’m sure hey don’t care if he suits up his senior year or not. Yes rules are in place for a reason but the UIL has no right telling these kids where they can move to. This kid did what was best for him and I admire him staying in Tomball.  Looks like it was academics.  

But they didn't move.  The kid's legal guardian still stayed at the same residence.. meaning that he just changed schools.  Had they ACTUALLY MOVED then nothing could've been done about it.  What you're implying is that kid's should just be able to change schools whenever they want even if they say it's for academic reasons.  That's exactly why this RULE is in place and exactly why the eligibility was denied.  SMH..

44 minutes ago, KB24 said:

Were you advising this kid's parents?  

They aren't telling him where he can/can't move to.... they're just saying that if he moves for athletic purposes (which is exactly what the DEC, SEC, and any reasonable person, and it sounds like you, too believe), then he is unable to play football at his new school for a year.  

Rules are rules.  You can't fail drug tests in the NFL.  Should the league be able to suspend guys for doing perfectly legal things (Colorado, etc...) in their off time?  Apparently.  

The "academic purposes" line is a joke.  Demas' grandfather (alleged caretaker) met with the coach, but never a principal or guidance counselor before the transfer occurred.  Why didn't the other brothers transfer, too?  If things were so bad in North Forest, then why are Demas' little bros still walking the halls over there.

My guess is that like you, Demas' family believe that they should be able to anything that they please in order to further their kid's career... which on it's surface is a reasonable expecation.  The only problem is that when you are using a vehicle (the UIL, in this case) you kinda have to play by there rules or you lose you rights to that vehicle.  

The kid is still free to attend any and all camps, play in any all-american game, even suit up for the Tomball JV Squad.... He just isn't going to play varsity ball for a year because of some bad decisions by the grownups around him. 

6 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Has anyone considered that for him to make it to one of those 30 d1 schools, he needs to get his grades up. He already has the athletic ability. 

Those 30 schools are well aware of where the kid stands academically.  You do realize that they won't even talk to kids they don't think will meet their academic requirements, don't you?

This is the hidden content, please

Bottom line... the committee probably thought the same thing that I'm thinking.  What can this new school possibly do for him academically that the school district in which he actually lives couldn't do in K-11?  My answer..nothing.  I'll say again.  The kid should've changed permanent residence along with his legal guardian and then this wouldn't have been an issue.  This exact circumstance is exactly what this specific rule is for.  

11 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Were you advising this kid's parents?  

They aren't telling him where he can/can't move to.... they're just saying that if he moves for athletic purposes (which is exactly what the DEC, SEC, and any reasonable person, and it sounds like you, too believe), then he is unable to play football at his new school for a year.  

Rules are rules.  You can't fail drug tests in the NFL.  Should the league be able to suspend guys for doing perfectly legal things (Colorado, etc...) in their off time?  Apparently.  

The "academic purposes" line is a joke.  Demas' grandfather (alleged caretaker) met with the coach, but never a principal or guidance counselor before the transfer occurred.  Why didn't the other brothers transfer, too?  If things were so bad in North Forest, then why are Demas' little bros still walking the halls over there.

My guess is that like you, Demas' family believe that they should be able to anything that they please in order to further their kid's career... which on it's surface is a reasonable expecation.  The only problem is that when you are using a vehicle (the UIL, in this case) you kinda have to play by there rules or you lose you rights to that vehicle.  

The kid is still free to attend any and all camps, play in any all-american game, even suit up for the Tomball JV Squad.... He just isn't going to play varsity ball for a year because of some bad decisions by the grownups around him. 

Obviously he doesn’t have to play at all his senior year. He is where he want to be and not one offer taken from him. The only people still talking about it are by standers like you and I. The kid is living his life and pretty happy about the decision he made. 

11 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

But they didn't move.  The kid's legal guardian still stayed at the same residence.. meaning that he just changed schools.  Had they ACTUALLY MOVED then nothing could've been done about it.  What you're implying is that kid's should just be able to change schools whenever they want even if they say it's for academic reasons.  That's exactly why this RULE is in place and exactly why the eligibility was denied.  SMH..

And it changed nothing. He is still at Tomball and still have 36 offers. 

10 hours ago, KB24 said:

And it changed nothing. He is still at Tomball and still have 36 offers. 

I’d say that missing out on your Senior Season is a fairly decent loss... and I’ll bet that the kid is gonna feel the same way all season. 

There’s a small group of people who think that THSFB is all about “offers.” 

Statistics show is that these are also the people who almost never graduate from the college(s) that they end up attending. The one out of 1000 college athletes that do end up playing pro football play less than three years and are penniless in the same time span. 

So keep chasing those ”offers.” The statistics indicate that you’ll end up with bad knees, no education and no skills before your mid 20s. That’s the real truth about kids trying to make it based on their athleticism. 

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

I’d say that missing out on your Senior Season is a fairly decent loss... and I’ll bet that the kid is gonna feel the same way all season. 

Statistics show is that these are also the people who almost never graduate from the college(s) that they end up attending. The one out of 1000 college athletes that do end up playing pro football play less than three years and are penniless in the same time span. 

So keep chasing those ”offers.” The statistics indicate that you’ll end up with bad knees, no education and no skills before your mid 20s. That’s the real truth about kids trying to make it based on their athleticism. 

Where's your source for these "statistics"? Probably more of those alternative facts!

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

I have known college to tell athletes they don’t even have to play their senior year. And that’s on a personal note. So please save it.  

36 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Brown and Demas situations are totally different, not even remotely similar. 

For sure... I was just acknowledging that guy that said colleges would prefer that you not even play your senior year. 

That was a joke, right? “The new trend is to just avoid playing ANY varsity ball.... and watch the offers roll in, boys!”

🤡

17 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Ask the Brown kid from Newton how much his senior season last year affected his prospects. 

So you can save it. 

Dude. I know Brown personally. You don’t know what you are talking about. What happened with Brown is a totally different subject. The kid was having personal issues and it had nothing to do with playing for another school or sitting out his senior year. The problem with blogs. People think they know everything when in fact they don’t. Get your information right before trying to comment on a subject. 

5 hours ago, KB24 said:

Dude. I know Brown personally. You don’t know what you are talking about. What happened with Brown is a totally different subject. The kid was having personal issues and it had nothing to do with playing for another school or sitting out his senior year. The problem with blogs. People think they know everything when in fact they don’t. Get your information right before trying to comment on a subject. 

There was no problem. Kid didn’t even need to suit up his senior year. Colleges love that.

On a personal note....Have you noticed that nobody has jumped in to defend your “colleges encourage players to skip their senior season” crap?

Guest ECBucFan
On 8/23/2019 at 7:50 AM, KB24 said:

Yes rules are in place for a reason but the UIL has no right telling these kids where they can move to. 

The UIL never ever tells anyone where they can or cannot move to. That is BEYOND a ridiculous statement. 

BTW, what exactly are the "rules are in place" for in your opinion?