Desmond Demas denied transfer to Tomball

BADSANTA

4 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Just read where there was a 6-0 vote where was denied the transfer to Tomball this season. It was his former North Forest coach who claimed Demas was moving due to athletic reasons and a relationship with Footwork King a popular sports trainer in Houston. 

Sucks no lie.. I'm 50-50 on it..

31 minutes ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Just saw it.  Bad decision. He's staying at Tomball. I can't blame him. Shame on these crybaby coaches.

Coaches weren't the crybabies changing schools.

This kid will never suit up at A&M.  If he actually does, it will be one of at least 3 colleges he attends.

Guest ECBucFan

Whats the point in having rules if rules don't mean anything? Why don't we apply this to games too? Need a 5th or 6th down to make 10 yards? Take all you need. You will be in a better place if you keep possesion of the ball.  

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

This kid will never suit up at A&M.  If he actually does, it will be one of at least 3 colleges he attends.

The academics are much better at Tomball. If it was about football, he'd go back to North Forest. He said he's not. 

As he is a minor, he can't decide what school he goes to, that's on his parents. The coaches and UIL should have nothing to do with what a parent wants to do in regards to with his child.

HISD is a disaster and the sooner the state takes it over, the better. 

He'll be fine at A&M.

The article by Adam Coleman in the Chronicle does a good job of laying out the sides, except for the coach at North Forest, who declined to speak.

He doesn't come off looking to good. 

By all accounts, Demas is making better grades at Tomball and is in a much better situation.

Coaches shouldn't have this power. The district and state committee failed him.

And if it was for athletics, I would feel the same way. Parents should be able to do what they think is best for their children.

HISD just got tired of having their good athletes go to suburbs. There is a big influence from workout companies and AAU on many of these athletes. Rules are rules. If he or his family couldn’t present compelling evidence to the state then the state would agree with the local district. The state wants local districts to enforce UIL rules.

5 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I mean he could’ve went to a private school and still played. He is also eligible to still play at North Forest. He is staying in Tomball. So I’m just curious why you have a outlandish opinion that he won’t play at A&M?

8 cases went in front of the state committee, 3 of the DEC decisions were overturned.  So if there was concrete evidence that the move was not for athletic purposes, this particular state committee would have been inclined to overturn it.

As to the Adam Coleman article, I'm not sure it paints Coach Terrell in the light that some earlier claimed.

Here is Adam's article:

This is the hidden content, please

While it is correct that Coach Terrell did not comment after the ruling was made, he had plenty to say during the hearing as Coleman noted in the article and there was certainly a compelling case presented that Demas moved for athletic purposes.

1.  When Demas' family notified Terrell about the move, Terrell testified that he made efforts to help Demas academically but that the family fought them "every step of the way."  If a family is concerned about a student's academic record, they would gladly receive help.

2.  Demas' had a close relationship with Houston area trainer "Rischad Whitfield" a relationship that Coleman was well documented with Whitfield himself commenting that he a "liaison" for Demas and current Tomball quarterback Hunter Dunn.  Anytime I am on a committee and I hear of a transfer and a "liason".....yeah, I am gonna lean toward a move for athletic purposes.  Especially when there is testimony, as Coach Terrell did, of reports of this liaison "shopping" Demas and Dunn as a package deal to LSU, Mississippi and Oklahoma State.

3.  Demas' grandfather met with Tomball head coach Kevin Flanigan before the move.  Flanigan did confirm that the meeting was strictly about academics and campus life and not about the football team.  However, under questioning from one of the committee members, Demas' grandfather admitted he did not meet with the Tomball principal.  It is kind of telling that a member of the family who claims to be concerned about academic status would speak to the school's football coach and not school officials.

4.  And perhaps most telling, while the family is concerned about the academics at North Forest, only one of three Demas' brothers, Demond, transferred to Tomball.  Two younger brothers remained enrolled at North Forest.  That tends to put a big dent in the move for academic purposes argument.

5. Despite concern about Demas' academic status, he remained in the district for 2 1/2 of his first three years in North Forest.

After the problems that UIL went through with the AAU in basketball, it is quite easy to see why the UIL SEC ruled the way that it did.

It is not a "crybaby" coach that triggered this.

Perhaps, the best argument that the Demas family could have made was to show the SEC a copy of the 2019 Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine that has North Forest competing for the district title in 12-4A-I while Tomball will likely be left out of the playoffs out of 8-5A-I. But they attempted to focus on an issue that had more holes in it than a slice of swiss cheese.

Even though he is going to be an Aggie, anyone can see that this was a move for athletic purposes. If it was academics or environment (North Forest community not the safest) then the parents should have moved the young man well before his senior year.

Maybe they did not have the opportunity geographically or financially earlier in his high school career. But going to where his "trainer" has connections is not a good look.

Personally, I would be looking to enroll him in a private or academy school.

16 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Even though he is going to be an Aggie, anyone can see that this was a move for athletic purposes. If it was academics or environment (North Forest community not the safest) then the parents should have moved the young man well before his senior year.

Maybe they did not have the opportunity geographically or financially earlier in his high school career. But going to where his "trainer" has connections is not a good look.

Personally, I would be looking to enroll him in a private or academy school.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Concordia some time this season.

1 hour ago, WOSgrad said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Concordia some time this season.

If he's not there by end of the week I have no choice but to believe it was for a better environment and academics regardless of timing, nobody knows that family financial situation. 

Now I would feel differently if he had transferred to North Shore. ;)

11 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

And you know this because????  Definitely following this situation. 

All of the people involved except the coach went on the record after.the decision was announced. 

It seems nice that he tried to help the kid, but if his parents said it wasn't enough, then let it go. 

If he had the best interest of the kid, let him go, don't be a crybaby because his family made a decision to put him in a better school and living situation.  You shouldn't hold grudges against people that are doing what's best for them.

The UIL and coaches shouldn't have this power, even if the move is for athletic purposes.

19 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Nah he definitely will. He will immediately be the most physically gifted receiver on that campus probably since Mike Evans or Kirk. They've been slobbering over his potential for a long time. Plus Jimbo,  has had headache players before and compared to what other kids catch heat for, transferring schools is on the lighter side of the spectrum.  A&M already knows what they are getting in Demas.

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Oh, I’m just basing it on a kid from Newton/Beaumont who SHOULD have been practicing with the Horned Frogs right now.  

That kids situation was totally different. He didn’t try to transfer somewhere else. He was having personal issues. He is now playing JUCO at Tyler with plans on joining TCU. 

3 hours ago, BearEssentials97 said:

All of the people involved except the coach went on the record after.the decision was announced. 

It seems nice that he tried to help the kid, but if his parents said it wasn't enough, then let it go. 

If he had the best interest of the kid, let him go, don't be a crybaby because his family made a decision to put him in a better school and living situation.  You shouldn't hold grudges against people that are doing what's best for them.

The UIL and coaches shouldn't have this power, even if the move is for athletic purposes.

So what about the kid's two brothers who weren't transferring?  Their educations aren't a big deal?  It kinda blows the whole "transferring for academic reasons" argument out of the water.  

The problems is that the kid lined himself up with promoter/agent/liaison that was shopping him and the Tomball qb as a tandem to bigger schools. 

Now, you may believe that kids should feel free to transfer without penalty whenever, wherever, however... unfortunately that's not allowed within the current ruleset, and it shouldn't be allowed in my opinion.  

The only crybabies that I see are the whiny parents who want to move their kids around because they don't like the way things are going in their current situation.  Well, that and you.