Catt to play hoops in Florida

5 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Glad he was able to find a place to play. Hope all works out for him.

Had several coaches tell me he wasn't going to be eligible for UIL play.

Yep.  If he turned 19 next Sunday instead of last Sunday, he would have been fine.  

Meanwhile, a couple of kids who turned 20 their senior year for a couple of this area’s perennial powers were able to suit up and play within the past several years.  But the only age waivers that exist with UiL apply to special Ed and disabilities. 

4 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Yep.  If he turned 19 next Sunday instead of last Sunday, he would have been fine.  

Meanwhile, a couple of kids who turned 20 their senior year for a couple of this area’s perennial powers were able to suit up and play within the past several years.  But the only age waivers that exist with UiL apply to special Ed and disabilities

Yep, and I disagreed with those waivers.

57 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Perhaps I am about to open a can of worms that I will regret very soon but how does a student capable of varsity level play qualify for a waiver based upon being a special ed or disabled student?

Both were arguably the best players on their respective teams as well.  Regarding the special ed waiver, I think it has more to do with what classes they take.  As for a disability, I didn’t ask a lot of questions because it did not apply in this situation, but I believe it relates to Section 504 cases which, as I understand it, primarily deals with learning disabilities.  I do know that English as a second (or 5th) language does not fall within that section.  

I'm sure his time in Orangefield was very beneficial to a young man that's experienced a lot of turbulence in his life.  A year of stability was likely invaluable to that kid.  Now, I'd imagine this prep school can better prepare him for his basketball career than 3A ball here.  I for one am excited to see how far he can go.

• 1 month later...

Some Sr kids are 17, most are 18, and some are 19, or even 20.  Personally, I can’t imagine any legitimate reason a 20 year old should be playing HS basketball.   And if Val Catts situation (and only 1week late) doesn’t warrant an exemption at 19, I’d appreciate someone giving me an example of what they consider a legitimate scenario for 19 (past the date) & 20 year olds playing HS sports.  And to me, the official reasons above, make no sense whatsoever.