Realignment Talk

alwaysright

3 hours ago, Austin1985 said:

They don't want that smoke.  I predict all the cut-off numbers go up by 100 a piece and that will help L-town stay in 4A D1......

In a perfect world we’d drop down and take up a spot as a big 4AD2. 

I’d rather get out-athleted by schools like WOS and sometimes Silsbee than just sat on by a bunch of fat kids from schools with 350+ more kids than us. Like everybody in our District. Our enrollment is so small compared to our district mates. We turned in 818 last time and our nearest enrollment was 1059, if my memory is correct. 

The bad news is that our secret is out and we keep growing despite the semi-annual floods.  

I had thought Silsbee might go back up to Division I. They had one of the largest numbers in 4A Division II last time. Then they had a pretty good growth last year but the senior class graduated 200 or so and the incoming freshman had only 184. Silsbee should still be one of the larger division II schools. They could well move back up next time because there are about 240 seventh graders. More Importantly Carthage was one of the smallest Division I schools. Last time they had about ten more students than Silsbee. If everyone is lucky or unlucky you could have Carthage, WOS, Silsbee and Jasper all battling in the same region once again. 

28 minutes ago, scoopno1 said:

I had thought Silsbee might go back up to Division I. They had one of the largest numbers in 4A Division II last time. Then they had a pretty good growth last year but the senior class graduated 200 or so and the incoming freshman had only 184. Silsbee should still be one of the larger division II schools. They could well move back up next time because there are about 240 seventh graders. More Importantly Carthage was one of the smallest Division I schools. Last time they had about ten more students than Silsbee. If everyone is lucky or unlucky you could have Carthage, WOS, Silsbee and Jasper all battling in the same region once again

I really hope this happens!

On 8/20/2019 at 7:01 PM, BearEssentials97 said:

Were it not for the census bureau adding Newton County to the count, Beaumont Port Arthur Orange would have had negative growth. Most census projections show the area shrinking in population by the end of the century.

As for the plants, these new units only need 5-10 people to run them. The construction is temporary.

The area really needs to diversify. It's not a good sign when Orange county doesn't have a hospital and they refuse to pay for one and Port Arthur loses one.  Doesn't speak well for the health and growth prospects for the area.

Sorry should have been more specific, I was talking about Beaumont, not SETX as a whole, and for a while there it was an uptake in the pop. census but your most likely right, the school district has a big time effect on people moving in and unfortunately BISD isn’t doing to hot as of late, so while Beaumont won’t lose to much due to the industry it will definitely get left in the rear by those areas you mentioned (New Caney, Porter, etc) Houston as a whole is starting to expand from East to West, should be the 3rd largest city very soon. 

21 hours ago, D3zii said:

Sorry should have been more specific, I was talking about Beaumont, not SETX as a whole, and for a while there it was an uptake in the pop. census but your most likely right, the school district has a big time effect on people moving in and unfortunately BISD isn’t doing to hot as of late, so while Beaumont won’t lose to much due to the industry it will definitely get left in the rear by those areas you mentioned (New Caney, Porter, etc) Houston as a whole is starting to expand from East to West, should be the 3rd largest city very soon. 

Beaumont was bigger in the 60s and 70s, well over 120k. It still is trying to get to that figure now. 

If you mean by growth that new shops are being built, I agree, but no one is really moving to Beaumont, which is a shame because it has a lot to offer.

I'm hoping that BISD has fixed its problems. It would benefit everyone in the area if BISD was stable. I'm pulling for y'all.

As for Houston, the last oil downturn has slowed the city proper's growth. It won't catch Chicago until the 2040s now since all the growth has been in unincorporated Harris county and the burbs. 

On 8/21/2019 at 10:24 AM, astros4141078 said:

I have been hearing it is possible for vidor to move down at the next realignment is this true?

Enrollment has dipped below 1200 and the numbers continue to drop. There’s a good chance Vidor will get bumped down to 4a next year. Hurricane Harvey has a lot to do with the drop in numbers. Vidor got hit hard. We shall see. We are definitely the smallest school in our district this year!

1 hour ago, Realville said:

Enrollment has dipped below 1200 and the numbers continue to drop. There’s a good chance Vidor will get bumped down to 4a next year. Hurricane Harvey has a lot to do with the drop in numbers. Vidor got hit hard. We shall see. We are definitely the smallest school in our district this year!

I remember this talk last year.. also was told Orangefield is growing and possible move up for them? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2019 at 9:51 AM, Alpha Wolf said:

I don’t have actual numbers yet but what I was told by a BU administrator is that depending on where the cut off is, BU will either remain one of the smaller schools in their 6A district or one of the bigger ones in 5A-D1 next year.  But hey let’s get through this football season 1st...

Per a video that was released by the BISD Superintendent and United Principal, BU has a freshman class of over 700 with the total school attendance over 2,100.  We’ll probably be one of the smaller schools in our district but we should remain 6A...

23 minutes ago, Physical Atmosphere said:

What are the cut-off numbers for each classification now ?

6A 2190 and Above 254 Schools (Basketball) 252 Schools (Football)
5A 1150 - 2189 253 schools (Basketball) 252 schools (Football)
4A 505-1149 189 schools (Basketball) 182 schools (Football)
3A 225 - 504 232 schools (Basketball) 211 schools (Football)
2A 105 - 224 198 schools (Basketball) 187 schools (Football)
1A 104.9 and below 212 schools (Basketball) 142 schools (Football)

Per UIL website. 

32 minutes ago, Patsvballfan10 said:
6A 2190 and Above 254 Schools (Basketball) 252 Schools (Football)
5A 1150 - 2189 253 schools (Basketball) 252 schools (Football)
4A 505-1149 189 schools (Basketball) 182 schools (Football)
3A 225 - 504 232 schools (Basketball) 211 schools (Football)
2A 105 - 224 198 schools (Basketball) 187 schools (Football)
1A 104.9 and below 212 schools (Basketball) 142 schools (Football)

Per UIL website. 

28 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

But chances are, the cutoff numbers will change this year...

Well with that current 6A number, it could be close for us...

1A – 5A FOOTBALL DIVISION I AND DIVISION II NUMBERS

1A Division I: 55.5 – 104

1A Division II: 55 and below 

2A Division I: 161.5 – 224 

2A Division II: 105 – 161

3A Division I: 335 – 504 

3A Division II: 225 – 334 

4A Division I: 790 – 1149 

4A Division II: 505 – 789 

5A Division I: 1840 – 2189 

5A Division II: 1150 – 1839 

Current numbers for D1 and D2 cutoff, per UIL website.